🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I am not getting paid.
Page options
kaandelihasan
Community Member

I am not getting paid.

Hello,
My name is Kaan. On November 26th, I have proposed to some guy. I am a music producer and he asked for two beats. I worked a week for him, and then I sent him what I’ve done, but he is not replying or paying anything. It has now almost been 2 weeks since he wrote to me. What should I do now?
Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13
filip_knezevic
Community Member

And he never sent you the offer, right?

Still it's unclear to me how people get into this without understanding the basic rules. 

I would report him to the Upwork police. 🙂

Thanks for writing. Yes he said he really liked the music but never sent me anything..

I want to report him but I couldn’t find how. Where can I report him to the Upwork police?

I was kidding about the police part.

You can report him to the Upwork support. They will surely look into that. You will surely not get any money for your work, but at least the scammer will hopefully get punished.

Moral of the story? Read FAQ before starting any type of online works. Understand the process. Then bid.

They must send you the offer. Once you accept, then, and only then, the contracts starts.

So esentially you just gave that guy some free beats..

Kaan:

You worked for free. Do not do that.

You can NOT get paid without a contract.

You may click on the "Flag as inappropriate" button link and report the client for asking you to work for free.

It is a violation of Upwork TOS for a client to ask a freelancer to work for free.

When a freelancer works for free like this, it undermines the platform for all of us.

Filip K wrote:

Still it's unclear to me how people get into this without understanding the basic rules. 

Report for what? If the client never offered a contract and the freelancer decides to work without a contract there is nothing to report to CS.

Jennifer R wrote:

Filip K wrote:

Report for what? If the client never offered a contract and the freelancer decides to work without a contract there is nothing to report to CS.

Hm, how do you mean report for what?

If they communicated through Upwork, it can clearly be seen if the freelancer started the work and that the client was expecting the work. Upwork support can contact the client and warn them they are violating the Upwork 'no work for free' policy. If the client agrees and sends the contract, all is good. If he doesn't, it should be clear he is trying to squeeze work from unaware freelancers and obviously should be expelled from the platform.

This is just my assumption so it would be great if somebody can officially verify.

Filip K wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

Filip K wrote:

If they communicated through Upwork, it can clearly be seen if the freelancer started the work and that the client was expecting the work. Upwork support can then contact the client and tell him they violated the Upwork policy which is to work for free. If the client agrees and sends the contract, all good. If he doesn't it's clear he is trying to squeeze work from unaware freelancers and obviously should be prohibited from the platform.

A client asking for free work is against ToS, a freelancer doing free work is not. So if the communication between the 2 parties never shows that the client asked, just the freelancer doing it out of the kindness of his heart (=his inexperience) there is nothing to report. 

Martina P wrote:

Filip K wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

Filip K wrote:

If they communicated through Upwork, it can clearly be seen if the freelancer started the work and that the client was expecting the work. Upwork support can then contact the client and tell him they violated the Upwork policy which is to work for free. If the client agrees and sends the contract, all good. If he doesn't it's clear he is trying to squeeze work from unaware freelancers and obviously should be prohibited from the platform.

A client asking for free work is against ToS, a freelancer doing free work is not. So if the communication between the 2 parties never shows that the client asked, just the freelancer doing it out of the kindness of his heart (=his inexperience) there is nothing to report. 

Let's be realistic here, nobody will use that exact wording, right? It's not going to be: 'Hi badly informed freelancer, would you do some free work for me?' It would probably be like: 'Hi, can you deliver those two beats? Send them so I can check.' If it went like that, it's obvious the client was well aware the freelancer started the work. I would guess there is enough material for a warning or suspension.  

Filip K wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Filip K wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

Filip K wrote:

Let's be realistic here, nobody will use that exact wording, right? It's not going to be: 'Hi badly informed freelancer, would you do some free work for me?' It would probably be like: 'Hi, can you deliver those two beats? Send them so I can check.' If it went like that, it's obvious the client was well aware the freelancer started the work. I would guess there is enough material for a warning or suspension.  

Instead of delivering the freelancer has to make sure the milestones are in place. Giving away work for free (out of generosity or because one failed to learn the basics about Upwork) is no reason to waste resources we are all paying for with our fees.

Jennifer R wrote:

Filip K wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Filip K wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

Filip K wrote:

Instead of delivering the freelancer has to make sure the milestones are in place. Giving away work for free (out of generosity or because one failed to learn the basics about Upwork) is no reason to waste resources we are all paying for with our fees.

I dunno, we can all say the OP was uninformed and naive (which they were) but I would also have no problem with my fees being used to get rid of immoral people either. The person knew what they were doing, they knew that they were tricking someone, and even if I have nothing to fear from that person, I'd like consequences for them. 

wolfiefeeling
Community Member

only start to work when

1) there is a contract set

2) when payment is in escrow
3) when the contract/milestone details are what you agreed on

4) deadline in contract/milestone is reasonable

5) the resources client gave you is enough for you to finish work independently

these items are all from my lessons.
(;´༎ຶД༎ຶ`)

jr-translation
Community Member

Kaan D wrote:
Hello,
My name is Kaan. On November 26th, I have proposed to some guy. I am a music producer and he asked for two beats. I worked a week for him, and then I sent him what I’ve done, but he is not replying or paying anything. It has now almost been 2 weeks since he wrote to me. What should I do now?
Thanks!

Use the work for your portfolio. You own the rights and the client has no right to use it.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members