Did you mean: 

Re: Portfolio

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
21 of 80

Scott B wrote:

[…]

From your own documentation:

Specialized profiles allow you to tailor your profile to your audience and to create variations of your profile that showcase your experience within specific categories. For example, you can separate out the work you've done as a mobile game developer from your work as a translator or graphic designer. […]

Are you serious? A freelancer specializing in both mobile game development and translation? How's that even specializing??? C'mon, that's a terrible example!!!

Parth P Member Since: Aug 9, 2013
22 of 80

Olga, what else you expect from a company who charges you 20% of project , plus wants you to pay 10 dollars a month, plus wants you to buy connects with money, charges you to withdraw your hard worked money to your account and even after all of this,

They don't provide you customer support dierctly and forces you to put a post in community forum site, forces you to not to have portfolio items as you want in your profile.
I understand that upwork has large user base, so does facebook and so does paypal, other companies do provide support directly to the customer.

Some years ago they were charging clients as well, not sure they are doing now or not,

With all of this, they are saying, "work if you want, we don't care about you at all"

Rina L Member Since: Jun 23, 2019
23 of 80

Hi, I also met the same problem. I can't add portofios to my profile. When I click the plus sympol, there is a instruction let me to make specialize profile and after I made, I can' t add portfolios to my general profile. It was affected my job seriously.

Melissa M Member Since: Jul 3, 2019
24 of 80

This is utterly infuriating. This is not encouragement. Will I be able to update my portfolio once I do what I'm being forced to? Thanks. 

Tracey R Member Since: Jun 20, 2019
25 of 80

I have a few items in my portfolio but I don't think I'm at my max, assuming there is one. I was trying to add another article and it's not letting me. It's trying to get me to set up a specialized profile, but I don't want to.  This hasn't been an issue in the past so I don't know if this is a new change?  Is there any way around this? I just want to add it to my general portfolio. Any way to do this?

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
26 of 80

Hi Tracey,

Please know that this is working as designed. This is to encourage users to create specialized profiles as this allow freelancers to better customize their skills and experience. You may read more about it here through this announcement post. Thank you.

Untitled
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
27 of 80

Goran V wrote:

Hi Tracey,

Please know that this is working as designed. This is to encourage users to create specialized profiles as this allow freelancers to better customize their skills and experience. You may read more about it here through this announcement post. Thank you.

Goran, that post announces the new portfolio templates. Scrolling through the thread, we learn that all FLs who want to add anything to their portfolio are now forced to create a specialized profile even if they only do one thing and prefer to use a general profile. Questions about why this change was made remain unanswered. As Scott said, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Dante H Member Since: Feb 5, 2019
28 of 80

Hi,

I've noticed that the portfolio have changed, every time I try to create a new portfolio post, upwork asks me to make an specialized profile.  I don't want to create this specialized profile though, is there any way to just create an portfolio using the main profile?

Also I've noticed that on this specialized profile the image has to be inside within the rectangular format, which it's very boring because if the image is not retangular it's automatically cropped,  and this change did not happen on the main profile,  only on the specialized profile.

What is the reason for this change?

I really prefer to keep only the main profile, so how can I add an portfolio section without having to create an specialized profile?

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
29 of 80

Dante H wrote:

I really prefer to keep only the main profile, so how can I add an portfolio section without having to create an specialized profile?

Dante, you can't, unless Upwork decides to allow everyone to change their portfolio without creating a specialized profile.

30 of 80

I have to agree with all of the complaints above. It is ridiculous that I cannot add portfolio items to my main portfolio. What happens if I DO create a specialized portfolio? Do all the items automatically migrate to my main portfolio? What if a client is just browsing freelancers and looks at my main portfolio and there's nothing there.

When I hear the statement that this is "working as designed" I want to know who did the UI/UX research on this "feature" and what methodology they used. They certainly didn't ask any users.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS