🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: I am trying to update my portfolio with a...
Page options
breece-page-gary
Community Member

I am trying to update my portfolio with a new folder but cant

I am trying to update my portfolio with a new folder but when i click on the plus symbol all i get is create a specialized profile, when i click not yet it just returns to my profil page so i can't seem to just add new work?

108 REPLIES 108
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gary, 

I wanted to check if the issue persists if you try clearing your cookies, or using a different browser to see if the issue persists? Let me know so that I can help you further!

~ Avery
Upwork

Still not working and I use Chrome and always have done, so it should be working on there, clear my cookies all the time and as others are having the same issue I guess its a glitch at Upworks end

mtngigi
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

Hi Gary, 

I wanted to check if the issue persists if you try clearing your cookies, or using a different browser to see if the issue persists? Let me know so that I can help you further!

Avery,

Here's what we'd all just like to know. Is Upwork forcing us to create a specialized profile when we go to edit, add, remove or whatever with our *portfolios?

This is my understanding - that we (once again) have no choice in the matter. If Upworks decides we all need specialized profiles (which we DON'T), this then means that I can no longer add to, remove, or upload new samples to my portfolio. Nothing to do with cookies or cache.

*A straight yes or no to this question will be appreciated.

javamel
Community Member

Hi,

I am having the same experience of not being able to upload work.  I am just starting with Upwork so I have as yet nothing for a prospective employer to see.  That means Upwork is not useful at all in finding work.  Seems like this problem has been going on for at least 5 or 6 months.  

Do we have any resolution?

Peace,

Asha Melanie

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Melanie, 

Are you referring to adding portoflio items to your profile? Once you have setup your Specialized Profile, you should be able to add portfolios to your Specialized Profile, General Profile, or both. 

~ Avery
Upwork
rjunior8
Community Member

Not for me.

I'm trying to create a profile title but I can't go any further than this.

Refer to screenshot

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Hi Ericka,

Could you please try clearing your cache and cookies or logging in with another browser to check if you`re still experiencing the same issue?

Let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
ninjazin
Community Member

I'm having issues as well with portfolio items, i also have made post here, 

found yours after i made mine.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Anyone-having-issues-with-portfolio-items/td-p/608219/ju...

Its been years since i worked on upwork, when i worked it was odesk,

So after returning here i verified my profile and started to add portfolio items at my profile.

But now i can't add any portfolio items in my general profile, it forced me to create specialized profile and after creating it, it only allows to add or even edit portfolio items to specified profiles, 

Plus it seems downloading images doesn't work as well, it downloads without any extension and fails to open in image viewer or editor.

Is anyone else having same issues?

and yes odesk was 100 times better than this, i can't contact customer support nor can create tickets, how beautiful is that for a company that it makes money because of freelancers and they can't contact support when they need to, never seen any company doing this so far except this one.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Parth, and Gary, 

I was able to replicate your issue. I'll go ahead and look into this and get back to you once I have more information. 

~ Avery
Upwork
ninjazin
Community Member

Thank you,

Much appreciated 🙂 

I will wait till it gets fixed so i can add all in portfolio i need before i apply to jobs.

Hi Avery are you able to notify me when this is fixed? Thanks! My clients can't view any project images.

Hi!

Was this ever solved?
I can't add anything to my portfolio, even tried to create a Specialized profile but couldn't add anything there either?

Hi Sarah,

Could you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if you`re able to create a Specialized Profile? Once you have your Specialized Profile created, you should be able to add your Portfolio Items

Let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Yes! I am. I don't want a bunch of different Specialized Profiles. What a pain! Was your problem resolved?

Hello, I was doing some changes to my portfolio when I realized that Upwork made new changes to the way we edit it (which is great btw), but I noticed there's one problem in the "update project" tab under "specialty", why I can't choose my general profile as an option? I am using my general profile as a specialized profile too, so technically I can do 3 different things (which are my 3 profiles).

Another thing is that I can't change the order of images, can't choose a cover image without showing it in the album, and every time I need to go to the next tab it gives a warning "Changes you made may not be saved."

Thanks!

Hi Mahmoud,

I'd be happy to check this further for you. Can you please share with me a screenshot via PM? I'll wait for your message. Thanks

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi. I only want one Profile. For reasons of simplicity. I am unable to create more than one folder for my portfolio in my General Profile. DO I have to create a Specialized Profile to create another portfolio folder? I have enough to keep track of in my life without worrying about different profiles! lol

I am also experiencing the same problem, constant pop up for speciailisd profiles. I just want to add new project images!?

Upwork has changed the editing on portfolio things in your profile. It now asks to submit a specialty when uploading a portfolio item. 

My problem with this is if I want to upload the portfolio item to my general profile, HOW THE HECK AM I GOING TO DO THAT!!! IT NEEDS A SPECIALTY! 

Please fix this, the old format was better and easy. Now my head is exploding. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for your patience as I had to clarify this with the team. Please know that this is working as designed. This is to encourage users to create specialized profiles as this allow freelancers to better customize their skills and experience. You may read more about it here through this announcement post. 

~ Avery
Upwork
ninjazin
Community Member

Hello Avery,

Then how clients would see my profile? i tried to apply for a job post and there is no way i can select a specilized profile to submit my cover letter while applying for a job post.

And my general profile is not good as i want to make as you're not allowing me to add or edit any portfolio items, so how will it work? can you please explain with a bit more details please,

Thanks!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Path, 

The profile that matches the skills noted on the job post, will be the profile that will be highlighted when your client receives your proposal. Your client will still be able to view your other profiles once they go to your profile page. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Frankly it an appalling change. It totally restricts us as users to control
what we show. You are only allowed two specialized profiles which is not
good enough. Why cant we just add our work to our portfolio as we would
prefer. We know our business and clients better than Upwork could

Gary

Are we kidding here? Why on earth do I need to create a separate profile from the one and only profile I need just to add portfolio items? If one has multiple specialities they need to promote then differing profiles makes sense. From your own documentation:

Specialized profiles allow you to tailor your profile to your audience and to create variations of your profile that showcase your experience within specific categories. For example, you can separate out the work you've done as a mobile game developer from your work as a translator or graphic designer. 

So from the above, what if you don't have any need to separate things out? You are forced to create what is essentially a duplicate profile just so that you can add portfolio items? The announcement of these profiles and the documentation about them all suggest that they are for segment of people who need them. This is great but if you are admitting that it isn't for everyone, then why on earth are you preventing people from creating portfolio items from their main? Essentially you are now demanding that everyone has to have a speciality profile if they at all want to show their work. 

I try hard to just sigh and move on, but when the platform keeps making these kinds of arbitrary decisions that NO ONE asks for and that just adds more work and time for no benefit, I get extremely frustrated. 

Scott B wrote:

[…]

From your own documentation:

Specialized profiles allow you to tailor your profile to your audience and to create variations of your profile that showcase your experience within specific categories. For example, you can separate out the work you've done as a mobile game developer from your work as a translator or graphic designer. […]

Are you serious? A freelancer specializing in both mobile game development and translation? How's that even specializing??? C'mon, that's a terrible example!!!

Olga, what else you expect from a company who charges you 20% of project , plus wants you to pay 10 dollars a month, plus wants you to buy connects with money, charges you to withdraw your hard worked money to your account and even after all of this,

They don't provide you customer support dierctly and forces you to put a post in community forum site, forces you to not to have portfolio items as you want in your profile.
I understand that upwork has large user base, so does facebook and so does paypal, other companies do provide support directly to the customer.

Some years ago they were charging clients as well, not sure they are doing now or not,

With all of this, they are saying, "work if you want, we don't care about you at all"

li_rina
Community Member

Hi, I also met the same problem. I can't add portofios to my profile. When I click the plus sympol, there is a instruction let me to make specialize profile and after I made, I can' t add portfolios to my general profile. It was affected my job seriously.

mmoffice
Community Member

This is utterly infuriating. This is not encouragement. Will I be able to update my portfolio once I do what I'm being forced to? Thanks. 

browersr
Community Member

Valeria -

You make it sound like this impacts those who want/need a specialized profile. You say "We will soon be launching a new feature that allows freelancers with specialized profiles a more modern way to showcase their work to potential clients – portfolio templates."

However, the current process FORCES a specialized profile if you want to add any portfolio items. Why was this change made? Why do I need to create a specialized profile when my main profile covers everything I need? UW is forcing people to create a specialized profile if they want to display their work even if they only do one thing. This makes no sense. 

There is no such thing as a specialized profile in my field of endeavor.  Sigh. I'm missing all the fun.

LOL @ Mary.  You can supply the popcorn ... that way you'll not feel left out.

Offerng specialized profiles is a service some genres of work can benefit from.

Requiring them is an all together different matter. 

We all know that U has been pushing (read basically demanding) agency affiliation as they seem to be convinced it is more lucrative.  Requiring specialized profiles was the first tangible step to this. 

If we are unable to add portfolio items to primary profiles OR are able to add portfolio items only to /if the same item resides in a specialized profile U.'s shift to agency-only is confirmed. It might take a while ... but we're rather adept at ferreting out intentions by now.

Hi Scott, Mary and Wendy, 

I moved your posts from the Portfolio Templates announcement thread to this one, discussing the recent changes you mentioned in your comments, which weren't directly related to the subject of the Templates announcement thread but are relevant to the recent discussion in this thread.

To all,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and sentiment around the recent changes affecting the process of adding new Portfolio items. We've shared your views with our team and will follow up with an update on this thread soon. 

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Thanks for letting us know, Vlad -

Speakng for Mary and Scott as well.  🙂

Hello everyone,

I'd like to add to the general sentiment.

I was having issues adding work to my portfolio and had to google the problem.

Specialized profiles should be OPTIONAL.

This shouldn't be made more difficult than it has to be.

b6a2d8f9
Community Member

I have a few items in my portfolio but I don't think I'm at my max, assuming there is one. I was trying to add another article and it's not letting me. It's trying to get me to set up a specialized profile, but I don't want to.  This hasn't been an issue in the past so I don't know if this is a new change?  Is there any way around this? I just want to add it to my general portfolio. Any way to do this?

Hi Tracey,

Please know that this is working as designed. This is to encourage users to create specialized profiles as this allow freelancers to better customize their skills and experience. You may read more about it here through this announcement post. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran V wrote:

Hi Tracey,

Please know that this is working as designed. This is to encourage users to create specialized profiles as this allow freelancers to better customize their skills and experience. You may read more about it here through this announcement post. Thank you.

Goran, that post announces the new portfolio templates. Scrolling through the thread, we learn that all FLs who want to add anything to their portfolio are now forced to create a specialized profile even if they only do one thing and prefer to use a general profile. Questions about why this change was made remain unanswered. As Scott said, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths