cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I and my Client had Accounts Suspended

Highlighted
Cong Z Member Since: Nov 11, 2014
1 of 26

I am Zhou Cong, new freelancer artist on Odesk, I have just concluded my very first work of Illustration for childrens book and earned $50.

Yesterday night Odesk team suspended my account, I have been told that the reason was:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

My client is from Israel, and I am from Brazil. I don't see why and how Odesk Risk Team thinks that we are same person. And suspends our account without warning. 

There are more than enough evidence to see that we are different persons and our work are not fraud. Odesk may check our IP address, personal data. And I and **edited for Community Guidelines** have been exchanged a lot of messages during our job on Odesk via private messages. These all rules away the possibility of "double account".

On attachment is one of 30+ Illustrations that I have done for this job. If Odesk Risk Manager Team should pay much more attention before suspends our accounts.

I tried to contact the Odesk, and didn't received any response. Yaniv, my client, have contacted them via chat too, but they could not help.

Now, I have spent days building my Odesk profile, spent 40+ hours applying and working hard on Odesk. I have done a very good first job... I can easly prove that.

Ironically, now I find myself with account suspended, cannot apply to jobs, my previous job applications were removed and I cannot even widrawn what I have earned. I am deeply heartbroken by that. 

Odesk should not suspend contractor's accounts under any minimal signs of suspiction,  more reasonable way is to send a warning message asking the contractor to prove that he have not violated the term. Odesk should communicate more with contractor, give to him/her more respect.

I am looking foward not to only solve my own problem. I wish this kind of problem dont happen with anyone else in the future. It's very important for Odesk team to reflect and think carefully to avoid more mistakes like this.

I am willing to help the Odesk to improve and freelancers by addressing the problem that happened with me. Hope in future Odesk could keep improving and provide a excelent platform for jobs.

Regards,

Cong

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 26

Hi Cong,

I am sorry about this situation. While we are not able to share details of your suspension or client's identifying information here in the Community, rest assured that our Team is doing their best to resolve this issue. They will get back to you via the open ticket once everything is thouroughly reviewed. We appreciate your patience.

~ Valeria
Untitled
3 of 26

I will be waiting patiently.

I will keep updated here whether my account suspension have been solved or not.

It may be a lot better if Odesk communicate and messages the contractor requiring him/her to solve the issue and wait few days before suspends contractor's account, only if he or she remain unresponsive. We have seen a lot of cases similar to mine, and if measures are not taken, more has yet to come.

Suspending a contractor who have not inflicted the terms is very prejudicial and disrespectful.  Contractor is a worker, someone who is willing to help, to contribute to the society and humanity, why would someone deny their will to work. Smiley Happy While contractor loses a lot of time trying to solve the problem and may quit Odesk, Odesk is losing potential client looking for jobs.  There also is a moral (and emotional) damage done if account is wrongly suspended. 

I hope Odesk could consider my opinion, and think about the account suspension issue. The supposed irregularities should be solved by communication betwen Odesk and Freelancers. Punishment should the last resort when everything else fails. Smiley Very Happy

Regards,

Cong

4 of 26

Hello again, I have some good news:

• My client told me today that his account have been restored. =)
  • My payment has been accepted! (on e-mail Odesk Teams said that It will be refunded)
  • On yesterday morning, Odesk R.M. Team replied me for first time (5 days after account suspension) requiring my ID. Which I sent to them immediately within 1 hour. It have been 24+ hours, and no response again...

Best Regards.

**EDIT**

My Account have been Restored while I was typing this message! =)))

But this could be a lot faster, my account should not even be suspended to start with. But damage have been done:

• All my previous job applications has Disappeared!
  • I have spent 6+ hours trying to solve this.

What Odesk could improve:

1. Alert us that my account may be linked to my client's account, and give us 2 days to send our ID for verification.
  2. Tell us that ID is required in very beginning, not after 5 days...
  3. Keep us updated about the process, and be quicker to answer messages.
  4. Keep my job applications on hold so that I may communicate with the possible clients.
  5. Give some extra quota for time and chances lost by suspension.
Best Regards,
Cong
5 of 26

Hi Cong,

I have checked your account and it looks like it has been reinstated. I am sorry about the delay and I really appreciate your patience. Please, let us know if you have any additional questions or issues you may need help with.

~ Valeria
Untitled
6 of 26

Hi Valeria, thanks for help and Information, I have edited my previous post.

Unless Odesk have some improvements this problem will persists. Any Freelancer may be victim of this problem again and again.

It's very important to consider what Odesk could improve:

1. Alert us that my account may be linked to my client's account, and give us 2 days to send our ID for verification.
  2. Tell us that ID is required in very beginning, not after 5 days...
  3. Keep us updated about the process, and be quicker to answer messages.
  4. Keep my job applications on hold so that I may communicate with the possible clients.
  5. Give some extra quota for time and chances lost by suspension.
  • Being suspected for minor rules/terms violations Freelancer's account shall not be suspended. The Freelancer should be given a chance and time to prove that He/She is not guilty.
  • If account have been suspended by mistake Odesk should give at least 20 temporary extra quota to Freelancer. Because he have been penalized for not being apply to job.
That's all, Hope our opinions could be heard and considered by Odesk.
Kevin K Member Since: Nov 6, 2014
7 of 26

I've been waiting 8 days now and NOTHING from oDesk. Not a word regarding this matter. I found the oDesk "help" desk phone number (which oDesk tries very hard to hide) and called. Guy was "helpful" he "looked into it" and told me he could not see any reason what so every why my account was suspended but he had no control over the financial side of things... But he said he would keep an eye on it.

Well, still nothing. My account suspension is groundless and oDesk has not done a thing about it for over a week. I'm angry, what are you going to do about this oDesk?

Sincerely,

Kevin Kibbe

Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
8 of 26

I think those are good suggestions from Cong. I am not sure why oDesk keeps the freelancers in the dark for so long.
When an account is suspended it’s the time when a freelancer needs to know what is going on more than anything.

Gurpreet S Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
9 of 26

I am sorry I dont have answer for you problem but I here to ask my question.

I hope you experts will answer my question .

As one of my contract is suspended a week ago. My client pushing me to complete work regardless of the status of the contract even he did not provided me the complete details of his server on that I need to work.

While development he did not answered my questions.

This has never happened to me before, so I'm sort of torn. Do I finish the work? Do I wait for the contract to be reinstated?
or I should end the contract ? If I end the contract right here is that possible for the client to provide me bad feedback under his suspended account.

Please revert me ASAP
Thanks so much.

10 of 26

Hi Gurpreet,

If you see that the contract is suspended, most likely it means that there is an issue on the client's side. We strongly suggest you do not continue working on the contract since the payment for your work may not be processed. Your client needs to sort out the issue before you can resume your work on the contract.

I hope you and your client can sort if our soon.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS