🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I asked for a candidate's email address for a...
Page options
Community Member

I asked for a candidate's email address for an interview via Zoom.

Hi, I'm a freelancer and I have a client on Upwork who has currently open job post.

It is part of my task to get these candidates hop on an interview with us via Zoom, and I asked for an email address of one of the candidates without knowing that it is not allowed.

As a freelancer, when talking to potential clients, we have an option to talk through Upwork, Skype, Zoom, and etc, that is why I thought it is okay to do this. Upon doing research, Upwork says it is illegal.

Will my account get suspended for my action?

P.S.

I was using Client account when I did it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I asked for a candidate's email address for an interview via Zoom."

That's okay!

People make mistakes.

The important thing is that we learn from our mistakes and not make those same mistakes again in the future.

re: "Will my account get suspended for my action?"

No.

You have been honest and up front about the situation. Upwork is not going to suspend you for this. Just don't do this again.

You may communicate using the Upwork Messags tool while you do not yet have an official contract with a client.

After a contract is in place, then clients and freelancers may share contact information with each other - including email address - and may communicate any way they want to.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I asked for a candidate's email address for an interview via Zoom."

That's okay!

People make mistakes.

The important thing is that we learn from our mistakes and not make those same mistakes again in the future.

re: "Will my account get suspended for my action?"

No.

You have been honest and up front about the situation. Upwork is not going to suspend you for this. Just don't do this again.

You may communicate using the Upwork Messags tool while you do not yet have an official contract with a client.

After a contract is in place, then clients and freelancers may share contact information with each other - including email address - and may communicate any way they want to.

Thank you for the prompt reply, Preston!

I was really worried!

I hope you'll have a great day!

Hi Katherine,

Taking communications with a freelancer or client off of Upwork before a contract is in place is against our Terms of Service. Once a contract is in place you may use any communication methods you choose. Please check this help article for more information. 

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
a_lipsey
Community Member

Katherine R wrote:

As a freelancer, when talking to potential clients, we have an option to talk through Upwork, Skype, Zoom, and etc, that is why I thought it is okay to do this. Upon doing research, Upwork says it is illegal.

Just to reiterate - you do not have the option of talking through Skype or any other method pre-contract that is outside the Upwork message center. 

Ask them to do Zoom through the Upwork message center and you will be fine. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members