cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I believe a client is trying to get over, and get free work out of me...

baconsher
Sherquoia B Member Since: Oct 8, 2014
1 of 5
So I have been working with this client for about 3 or 4 days now, and heven initially asked me to go ahead and do about 3 hours of work after he explained what the job consists of. Mind you, we have yet to start any contract at this point. He was thinking of it as a test/trail run (which I think 3 hours is a lot of time for a damp test), and he said he would pay me for it. So I turned in 3 samples, of research results, and he responded to me saying that I did really well and he could tell I was getting the hang of things. Then he goes on to tell me to do a little more and we will touch bases the next day...still no contract. So at this point I'm feeling like he is a scammer, so I do no more research and don't respond to any emails about further completed the work. I had already asked him about hiring me, whicharging he said he would do the next day at a certain time and did not! So again, after not responding he finallyrics sends me the contract for 15 hours. He initially stated that this would be long term, 15-2 hours a week. So my allotted hours are almost up and I asked him about allotting me more and he tells me to go ahead and complete the work and keep trac of my hours, then he will pay. I'm like why can't he just add more hours like my client (job) did...it wasn't an issue. My point is I don't trust hims, even though he does have a 5 star rating (from 3 reviewers) from freelancers who worked for $3 and below. I need advice on what to do. Thanks
g_nembhard
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
2 of 5
Hi Sherquioia, You should never give work to anyone without a contract. If they want you to do a trial/test, they need to pay for it. 3 hrs sounds more like work rather than a test. That takes a lot of effort. Which samples did he ask for? If it's something like article writing, then really you still own the copyright if you didn't receive payment for it. If he wants you to work more hrs, then he needs to adjust the contract.
baconsher
Sherquoia B Member Since: Oct 8, 2014
3 of 5
Thats what I thought needed to be done. He gives me 15 hours a week but has suggested me working overtime for "bonuses", I just dont see what the issue is in extending the hours of the contract...Also to answer your question about the trial/test...it is a job listing research job, where he wants me to search for a particular executive position in a certain salary range. He tries to assure me all the time that he will pay, he just asks that I keep up with ant time beyond my allotted hours. I don't trust it.
g_nembhard
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
4 of 5
I would be very careful about that because anything outside of the official hrs within the contract wouldn't be guaranteed. Just insist that he increase the hrs. If he doesn't like that, then you might have to consider another role.
stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
5 of 5
The thing is, he's either happy for you to work the extra hours or he isn't. And if he is, there's absolutely nothing stopping him increasing the hours - definitely sounds dodgy to me.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS