isaiahback

I believe someone is running a sophisticated scam against me

I recently submitted a proposal for a data entry job.  The man used skype chat to communicate with me. He had me create a amazon web services account (free), and the submit a request to increase SES emails allowed.  The odd thing is that in order to submit this request I have to create a fake request, using a real company domain name and pretending to be somebody from their department, requesting to use SES to send 200,000 emails a day. 

They client explained that this was their hiring process, testing writing abilities basically. Seems strange.  I believe they are trying to dupe amazon into allowing different people an increase in automatic emails, and then they will use these accounts to send out scam emails.  Seems like a very odd and sophisticated scam, but if it wasn't illicit why would you have people create and submit fake requests to amazon, using real company domain names and falsely pretending to be from that company?  It is just too odd to be legit.

Please advise.

4 REPLIES 4
boshoffirene

Sounds scammy to me. I would flag that job and send all relevant info to Upwork. If they find the job is legit, so be it.

Yishai, obviously you are participating in scam. You already know this. You are scamming AWS. You are violating Upwork TOS by doing so.

And you are not even getting paid to do so? Which means you are working for free, and thus getting scammed yourself.

So you are participating in a double scam.

Does that seem wise to you?

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Yishai,

I can confirm all three interviews you've had in the last 2 days are related to jobs that violate our ToS. Please note that offering/accepting to be paid and/or work directly off the platform is a ToS violation. I'll ask our team to take action against the clients, please check the list of safety tips we've shared.

Make sure to start working only once you have an active contract on Upwork, accept to be paid only through Upwork and never pay in order to bid or work on a job.

Untitled
mthornton-cpc

@Yishai B wrote:

I recently submitted a proposal for a data entry job.  The man used skype chat to communicate with me. He had me create a amazon web services account (free), and the submit a request to increase SES emails allowed.  The odd thing is that in order to submit this request I have to create a fake request, using a real company domain name and pretending to be somebody from their department, requesting to use SES to send 200,000 emails a day. 

They client explained that this was their hiring process, testing writing abilities basically. Seems strange.  I believe they are trying to dupe amazon into allowing different people an increase in automatic emails, and then they will use these accounts to send out scam emails.  Seems like a very odd and sophisticated scam, but if it wasn't illicit why would you have people create and submit fake requests to amazon, using real company domain names and falsely pretending to be from that company?  It is just too odd to be legit.

Please advise.

"Odd" is not the appropriate word for that. You participated in a scam when your better judgment was telling you not to. Don't do that again. Pretty good rule for life in general.