cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can not bid less then $4

Highlighted
Ayesha S Member Since: Nov 22, 2009
11 of 26
Hi everyone, We are constantly testing different levers to increase the efficiency of the oDesk marketplace to ensure clients are finding the freelancers they need and freelancers are getting the jobs that they are best suited for. We have several tests running to understand what impact a minimum wage would have on the marketplace. As this is a complex area, we expect to run these tests in the marketplace for a significant time period. However we are not currently implementing a universal minimum wage. Hope this helps!
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
Highlighted
Daniel K Member Since: Nov 11, 2013
12 of 26
Odesk is a online marketplace. Who is Odesk to say that employers must pay contractors any certain amount. As long as the Odesk fees are paid to Odesk, the employer is happy and the contractor is happy a fair market exchange has taken place. This open transparency is what has allowed Odesk to flourish. Playing or "Testing" with the market place removes all confidence we have as employers and contractors in the Odesk Marketplace. What a disappointment. If this is how the platform works, we will take our jobs elsewhere. Thank you. DK
Highlighted
Elizabeth K Member Since: Apr 23, 2013
13 of 26
I completely agree with you, Daniel. When the employer and the employee have a perfect understanding and a good work relation no third person should try to deteriorate this atmosphere. Its sad that oDesk had to make such an unwise move when for so long it was known as the best market place for freelancers. This decision does not make sense at all, it's insane! Because of this decision I cannot accept any job below $4. I've also noticed that these days most of the job postings are fixed price. Dear oDesk! I'm a stay at home mom badly in need of job but because of this decision I'm unable to accept even a $3 job which an employer is willingly offering. We understand your experiment with the market place and agree that wages like $0.17, $0.30, $0.50...etc is too less but restricting even $3 is not a fair judgement. When experimenting the market place before long most of the buyers and workers will flock to other outsourcing service, won't that be utter folly? Better give us a solution soon! Thanks! Elizabeth
Highlighted
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
14 of 26
[quote=Daniel K.]Odesk is a online marketplace. Who is Odesk to say that employers must pay contractors any certain amount. As long as the Odesk fees are paid to Odesk, [/quote] Let's just think this through a little bit. oDesk is not some natural resource or something that no one should have a right to impose limitations on. It is a business, and utilizing the platform is not a right due to every living being on the planet. oDesk is justified in running its business however it sees fit. There are benefits that come with working within the "online marketplace" that oDesk has made possible. Those benefits have costs that oDesk must accommodate. Let's just assume (and I don't think it is that great of a leap) that the majority of dispute cases come from either one of two types of oDesk users: lower-skilled freelancers who rely on bidding the lowest rate to get the job and/or clients who are unwilling to pay a living wage for the work they need to have done. The majority of the time, those users are the ones who come around the forums complaining. So, it is quite possible that oDesk makes around $1-2 dollars total off these low end jobs (and I think that number is actually fairly generous), yet the company ends up having to shell out considerably more money in man hours alone just to deal with the disputes that arise from such situations. How, then, can the amount (hourly wage) that oDesk is willing to offer support for be dictated only by the client and the freelancer. It can't be when they are taking advantage of the platform that oDesk offers. oDesk has a clear stake in how much a jobs potential profit for them is vs how much it may cost them. It is only logical that they would make limits on what they will and will not support on the site. oDesk spent many years priding itself on its ability to boast high numbers of available freelancers and jobs compared to other sites. That was how they made their way in the industry, and it didn't mater whether those were quality jobs/freelancers or not because they banked on users being impressed by the numbers. That was a good marketing strategy, as long as it made good financial sense. I can't see how it could for very long when other sites can boast quality in the face of oDesk's numbers. Making moves to lower the bottom line and improve the quality of the jobs and the work done on them is well within their rights and seems necessary to keep oDesk competitive with the rest of the market.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
15 of 26
But sometimes in the long run it can be more expensive to keep some types of business than to lose them. Speaking as a businessperson, I will turn down work if I feel the client is going to cost me more money than they are going to pay me. oDesk has admin costs and they may not be worth it for very low paying jobs, if oDesk has to go through the same processes for a job that earns $1 an hour as for a job that earns $10 an hour. There may also be people working for oDesk who are concerned that a reputation as being a place to find very cheap, unskilled labor is hurting oDesk financially, because it is driving away higher paying clients who have reputations to defend and need everything they pay for to be of high quality. Then again, oDesk could depend on volume business based on clients looking to pay low wages. This is why they are testing, I assume. I am sure if they find that having minimum bids makes them lose money, they'll get rid of them. They will do whatever they think will make them the most profit.
Highlighted
sapna k Member Since: Nov 26, 2009
16 of 26
This is radicoulous! I am working as SEO, SMM and in this area clients not give more then 3$/hr, 2$/hr, 1$/hr so what can i do guys. Not even at Elance you can hire at $2.78. The minimum is $3 for hourly.
Highlighted
Kamal U Member Since: Jul 22, 2011
17 of 26
Hello How long this test will run? We are suffering from lack of Job.
Highlighted
Rashmi P Member Since: Nov 12, 2013
18 of 26
i have also same problem Please enter an amount between $4.44 and $999. Odesk launch new features and create problem for all freelancers
Highlighted
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
19 of 26
[quote=Rashmi P.]Odesk launch new features and create problem for all freelancers[/quote] Speak for yourself, it does not create a problem for "ALL" freelancers. It creates no problem for me. I would never bid that low on any job. There are lots of freelancers here getting double and triple digit dollars per hour. I personally do not care what you bid, I just object to your use of the word "ALL".
Highlighted
Theodosios N Member Since: Jul 17, 2011
20 of 26
Man why don't you get it? every person deserves to be paid more than 10usd per hour. I don't understand why you object to it. Killing the market won't do any good to freelancers. Everyone needs to wake up and request a decent minimum wage for Gods sake!!!
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS