Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can not bid less then $4

Highlighted
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
21 of 26
Be thankful. If no one can bid less than 4$ that means you are all equally starting from a wage that's double than previously. I can't believe someone actually likes to be exploited. So sad.
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
22 of 26
You would be right if it worked that way, but that's not how it works.oDesk's minimum is different for different freelancers. That is unfair. By the way, this test has been going on for some time now, I think. When is oDesk going to make a decision one way or another?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
23 of 26
I see. Well, that s*c*s. So sad.
Lynnae L Member Since: Aug 23, 2012
24 of 26
Minimum rates should require minimum skills as well as a minimum adherence to the contract by the contractor and it doesn't. The fact that odesk has multiple "tests" out there show they don't have a clue in the slightest. Also this should be an "opt in and opt out" on a voluntary basis for contractors. I imagine that we as "clients" are also on some unknown "tests" too where our job postings are only available to be viewed and/or applied for by certain contractors and not all. People that have 0 odesk experience are at rates that are non competitive. I just had someone that I wasted time with (again) because his rate is set at $4 who can't accept a job he wants and says he needs. Allegedly he did not know he was "preset" because I always ask. But his own brother can accept any job at any rate (asked me to hire him as his brother - many contractors ask this). Lets talk about fair and discrimination. Waste my time? - sure because I went through the entire job application and interview process - this is clearly unfair odesk. Again this needs to be an "opt IN" test. And no I am not going to change the rate of the project because someone is preset to something else - it clearly does not "prove" he is a better choice than someone else. Telling the contractor and client - just hire at the flat rate does not work either. Maybe for some jobs but no it doesn't work. Not only that but odesk flat out misrepresents this as well. There needs to be a shift in what contractors and odesk view as Professionals (yes that is a capital "P" as this is what contractors need to think of themselves as and act accordingly) and what it means to be "odesk ready". Minimum rates will not change this. Many contractors will say anything and agree to anything just to get the contract. (You know who you are - real Professionals know who they are too and this does not apply to them). Once contracted the story is a different matter. Minimum rates won't change that. Most of my projects are entry level data entry and form-filling. Yes I look up the wage rates for each country for such a job. It amazes me daily that a contractor does not know the basics of using webmail - an email account is established for their use. I have to teach them how to move email to a folder using text and pics and everything. Forget teaching them how to create a folder! Oh yes I ask are they familiar with webmail - they all point to their multiple gmail and yahoo accounts they have. It amazes me what odesk tests for English comprehension and Excel are. For example I started requiring the odesk excel test based on how much of the basics beyond opening the program were lacking in a contractor who claimed they were "expert" in excel - I don't need expert, I need the minimum basics. Someone who passes in the "top 20%" for Excel odesk test still doesn't have a clue about cell comments, inserting rows, or sorting data. These are the most basic of all - (I know I taught Excel beginners and advanced classes for years). Just because odesk sets a minimum rate won't change this. At least 2/3 of all my hourly pay is in not paid for actual work but constant starts and stops. I am willing to bet based on the "lack of retention" (memory of the contractor) of tasks from the job the day before some one starts the job but that "person" changes. Minimum rates won't change that and will only cost me more money in the long run. I want a minimum of 20-30 hours per week to get what amount of work I need to be done - that is WORKING hours from at least 4-5 contractors. The contract even states it but instead the promises range from "sure no problem" to "i can work 80 hours on your project". I want and NEED the 20-30 hours - most people don't even achieve 15-20 and that 15-20 is filled with redo work or reshowing them all over again because they "forgot". (redo is often the online form they were completing - internet/electric/computer issues now have to start everything over) Minimum rates won't change that and will only cost me more money in the long run. Oh yes Internet/electric/computer issues - sure it is to be expected once in a while but every other day so that only 1-2 hours are put in ... Minimum rates won't change that. I want long term people. I post for long term project. Contractors tell me they are looking for a stable long term project. My jobs are boring, even tedious, but all in all they are basically copy, paste, form-fill that once trained a person could do them basically anytime during the 24-hour time period. But - oh yes - there is training so you know what you are doing. Yes training is paid for - always. But that means you have to show up for that training. There is a person on my end whose job it is to be there to do so. No-shows and being 2-3 hours late from the agreed time or going to dinner or just flat disappearing for an hour or more is inconsiderate and unprofessional. And now odesk wants me to pay more for that privilege - no thank you. Minimum rates won't change this and will only cost me more money in the long run because the contractors will not change their behaviors. I am not will not do rate increases on the same job 2-3 weeks in. Getting the contract does not mean you have your foot in the door and can now hold me hostage - many try. You are not indispensable no matter how "great" you see yourself. Minimum rates won't change this and will only cost me more money in the long run as I have to cycle through the same # of people for a higher rate. I would agree with minimums if there were a minimum standard for the contractors themselves and odesk had some kind of preparedness training or some kind of testing they have to pass before they can apply for jobs. odesk TOS??!?? - meaningless. I am tired of being threatened by contractors, the work I have paid for being used and sold , being offered other people's projects for a fee, having people contract who never intend to start or complete the contract, multiple identities for the same person, multiple people on one account, (this list goes on and on) In fact every time I have reported multiple people on one account or a contractor subcontracted out the work to people NOT on odesk I am told I have to be the one to investigate who they are working for and under what contractors name, etc. Yes this is many times. and STALKING odesk which you continue to do NOTHING about. Minimum rates are NOT going to change a single one of these things and odesk frankly doesn't have a clue nor will they enforce their own TOS. DO YOUR JOB ODESK and let others decide how much they want to work for and pay for.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
25 of 26
"There needs to be a shift in what contractors and odesk view as Professionals (yes that is a capital "P" as this is what contractors need to think of themselves as and act accordingly) and what it means to be "odesk ready". Minimum rates will not change this" If you want professional, pay professional rates. For under $4, you get compliance and subservience. It actually looks like that's what you really want, and that it's you who is confusing that with professionalism.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
26 of 26
Glad I didn't post this in this thread...lol..."Experience Level (hourly) Min to Max Pay Rate" https://www.odesk.com/community/node/35323
Ron aka LanWanMan
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS