🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I can only leave negative feedback on an idle...
Page options
bieh
Community Member

I can only leave negative feedback on an idle but successful job?

I did a few hours work for a client earlier this year, as a very quick R&D test for a future "big project". The details aren't particularly important, but the client was very happy with the test R&D results. Unfortunately because he's part of a "big company" it's taking a long time to get through management to do the "real" project. While we waited, I left the job active but idle on Upwork (honestly I basically just forgot it was technically still open...). 

Anyway, it's been delayed yet again, so I decided it'd be best to close out the job. Unfortunately because it's been a while since I billed any hours on it, Upwork only lets me close it for 'negative' reasons. Presumably this won't do my JSS any good, and the client wouldn't be super thrilled either.

Why is there no "job was successful" option? See the attached screenshot for what I'm seeing.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Paul H wrote:

Oh yeah, I got paid for it ages ago. I'm not too worried, it's just annoying.

Are you sure you were paid on THIS contract? Because the screen in your screenshot only appears when closing contracts that never had any payment on them.

By the way, the client does not see private feedback anyway.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Paul H wrote:

I did a few hours work for a client earlier this year, as a very quick R&D test for a future "big project".

Why is there no "job was successful" option? See the attached screenshot for what I'm seeing.

It can not be successful if nothing was paid.

If you did a few hours of work, get the hell paid for those, then the contract CAN be closed as successful and won't hurt your JSS, which it otherwise will (even if you leave it open and idle.)

bieh
Community Member

petra_r
Community Member

Paul H wrote:

Are you sure you were paid on THIS contract? Because the screen in your screenshot only appears when closing contracts that never had any payment on them.

florydev
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Interesting, so is it just for Upwork?

petra_r
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

Petra R wrote:

You don't see what the client puts there when they end a contract either, do you?

I am far more interested how the OP got paid... The above is for cancelling contracts where nothing was ever paid. It never appears when money changed hands.

bieh
Community Member

Yeah, now I check, I don't see any hours for that job. I guess we opened a new contract for the big job after the initial small R&D project, and it just never got anything done on it as it was postponed so many times. That explains it -- my mistake. It was in January, so my memory was a little hazy 🙂

I suppose "client never provided details" probably covers it then. Still, it's annoying that this will hit my JSS, sigh.

petra_r
Community Member

Paul H wrote:

Yeah, now I check, I don't see any hours for that job. I guess we opened a new contract for the big job after the initial small R&D project, and it just never got anything done on it as it was postponed so many times. That explains it -- my mistake. It was in January, so my memory was a little hazy 🙂

Get the client to pay you one Dollar and all is well.

bieh
Community Member

Good plan 🙂

florydev
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Petra R wrote:

You don't see what the client puts there when they end a contract either, do you?

I am far more interested how the OP got paid... The above is for cancelling contracts where nothing was ever paid. It never appears when money changed hands.

LOL...I never even thought about it.  The private feedback/rating thing is dumb.  I understand why it exists, I can agree that it has to be that way, but the bottom line problem is that humanity just plain sucks.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members