Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't believe this guy!

Highlighted
Community Leader
Colleen E Member Since: Jun 29, 2016
1 of 6

Yesterday I got a THIRD job offer from a "client" to work outside the Upwork platform. I was too dumb to recognize the first two for what they were, but here's now I responded to the latest offer:

Hi Jay,
I didn't realize that your project was a series of short articles and that you wanted to work outside of the Upwork network. Unfortunately, I can't do that. Legally, I can, but ethically i can't. I've committed to working as a freelance editor for Upwork, and they've committed to looking for well-paying editing assignments for me. As far as the fee is concerned, if you want to me to clear a certain amount of money, you can just increase your offer so that the offer less the Upwork fee will equal the amount the editor will receive. If you want to go that route, I'll be happy to speak with you. Just let me know.
Cheers,
Colleen

Should I have reported him? How is that done? Help please!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

@Colleen E wrote:

Yesterday I got a THIRD job offer from a "client" to work outside the Upwork platform. I was too dumb to recognize the first two for what they were, but here's now I responded to the latest offer:

Hi Jay,
I didn't realize that your project was a series of short articles and that you wanted to work outside of the Upwork network. Unfortunately, I can't do that. Legally, I can, but ethically i can't. I've committed to working as a freelance editor for Upwork, and they've committed to looking for well-paying editing assignments for me. As far as the fee is concerned, if you want to me to clear a certain amount of money, you can just increase your offer so that the offer less the Upwork fee will equal the amount the editor will receive. If you want to go that route, I'll be happy to speak with you. Just let me know.
Cheers,
Colleen

Colleen,

Yes you should report him as soon as possible. Also you are legally bound to be paid by him through Upwork (not just ehtically). You accepted these terms and conditions when you joined. the client found you here not off site. A client does not have a huge fee to pay, so your offer to him makes no sense at all and your fee is your fee. You pay enough to Upwork as it is, without accommodating a dodgy client. 

Report this guy now and I just hope your account is not compromised. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Leader
Colleen E Member Since: Jun 29, 2016
3 of 6

Nicola,

Thanks for the reminder of the terms and conditions to which I agreed when I joined Upwork. I realize that some of you have been members for years, which makes my two-year membership seem like minutes, but I truly did forget that it was a legal agreement. Now I just have to find his original job offer  so I can report him! Thanks again, and I do hope my account isn't compromised!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
4 of 6

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
5 of 6

@Colleen E wrote:

In a normal job offer, all you have to do is click on the green flag at the right of the offer, they choose the reason why you are flagging. 

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
6 of 6

Hi Colleen,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, our team is looking into this and will review the client and will take action as per our internal processes. Please check these safety tips and report if you receive any of the offers mentioned in the thread, which are in violation of Upwork ToS. You can also use the flag option found on each job post to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Here's the help article for more information.

~ Bojan
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS