cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't decide, should I charge or shouldn't while talking

alcatraz_vince
Vince A Member Since: Jan 18, 2014
1 of 5
This is very important for me. Some clients want to discuss about their needs for hours and this cost me time. As I am discussing with them, I am offering my services. So, should I charge while discussing or shouldn't. Please reply with your thought.
rameshbhadeshiya
Ramesh B Member Since: Sep 1, 2013
2 of 5
I don't think you should charge for that, they are inquiring about your service and there should be no charges on inquiry 🙂
stefan-c
Community Guru
Stefan C Member Since: Nov 1, 2011
3 of 5
Keep in mind that some people might not understand that "time is money" regardless if you actually work on their project or just chat with them about their project. If you`re already getting paid to do a job, you can include those chats as a "bonus" if your client pays you well enough(maybe you`ll get a long term customer out of that client). If the remuneration isn`t enough to compensate the chats.. *I* would just go ahead and tell them that in a nice, but explicit way. On the other hand, if you`re on an interview stage(as in not already hired/getting paid to do a job) I would not waste too much of my time on chats, and would definitely not get into deep "technical details" about their project, or give away too much of my *knowledge*. As far as I`m concerned, the purpose of an interview is to come up with a quote and prove yourself up to the job, and not to give free consultations. After all, oDesk is a marketplace(not a forum), and I kind of had at least one instance where a client leached as much feedback as he could from me, and then went ahead and hired the lowest bidder. I know it for a fact because I confronted that client and he practically admitted on doing so.
junelle
Community Guru
Junelle A Member Since: May 31, 2009
4 of 5
i'm more concerned that the OP may have multiple accounts. he's not even a day old here and he doesn't have any active applications, yet he's talking of having clients wanting to discuss for hours?
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.
stefan-c
Community Guru
Stefan C Member Since: Nov 1, 2011
5 of 5
Right, or maybe he`s just new to oDesk, has accounts on other freelance sites, and decided to post his question here because this is such a nice, user friendly forum. I don`t really care if he has multiple accounts, and I won`t bother flagging his profile based on assumptions. The guy asked a legit question, and I addressed it. Maybe others will find it useful :).
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS