🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Issue regarding Messages
Page options
j_yusty
Community Member

I can't download files attached on message

I have a problem downloading files from the message. I have downloaded several files from this client before, but suddenly whenever I try to download files, Upwork says "The file you’re trying to download could not be scanned." The original file was pdf file, so we tried compressing the file and she uploaded its zip file. But the same error.

What to do now?

27 REPLIES 27
prestonhunter
Community Member

Simplest thing to do is use a tool that is intended for file transfers. Upwork has many limitations, restrictions, automated filtering, automatic changes to files, blocking of certain file types and sizes, etc.

So use any tool you like:

FTP

WeTransfer

Dropbox

Google Drive

Microsoft One Drive

USB thumb drive

email

etc.

Thank you, but to use other methods, I need to share my contact information, in a word, my email address. But I think sharing my contact information is banned on Upwork. Am I wrong?

Let me correct a few misconceptions...

First of all. Upwork has no rules against sharing contact information. There are no rules against transferring files through other means.

Also, there are many ways to share files which do not require sharing contact information such as an email address.

One of the most common and most standard ways to transfer files is through FTP. One does not use an email address or other personal contact information with FTP.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jose, 

I can confirm that communicating outside of Upwork is not a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. You can share information with your client through email. However, its best to submit all work and contract negotiations through the Upwork platform and Messages. This way your communication is easily documented in case an issue arises. 

We always recommend communicating with clients who respond to your proposals through the platform and use Messages for communicating with prospective clients for security reasons, at least until you're hired for the job and can see a contract under your My Jobs tab.

In the meantime, I'm checking your account issue with the team and I'll come back here once I have more information. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hey, 
I was trying to send file to my client but it didn't show to my client. Even I Tried to send in all format like Jpeg, PNG, or even raw file like ai and .Cdr but it's not visible to my client. I just want to know that the issue which I currently facing is only held on my account or anyon else. Also, Please let me know when this issue will be resolved.
Thanks

Upwork can mess up files, including image files.

Use something else to transfer files:

FTP

Dropbox

WeTransfer

email

USB flash drive

Google Drive

Microsoft One Drive

Files.com

etc.

Hi Maqbool, 

I"m sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you on your end. I checked your account but was unable to confirm the client that you are referring to on your post. Could you please share the Contract ID# for the contract you are referring to? Please also let me know if you submitted the file through the Messages page, or through the milestone-submission/contract page.

ETA: Maqbool, I'm sorry I missed your title which stated that there is an issue with "Messages." Kindly request your client to clear their cookies or use a different browser. And if the issue persists, please share the Contract ID# for this contract so that I can check this with the team.

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello I received my first job from a recruiter. I am not able to upload the Excel document. When I click on it I receive the message "The file you’re trying to download could not be scanned." Can someone assist me with this? What does that mean and is it safe?

Uploaded documents are scanned by some Upwork technology.  It seems that this document couldn't be scanned.  Assuming you have antivirus software on your computer (and the client who hired you is reputable), I would download it. 

That’s the thing it will not allow me too.
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jessica, 

Please know that this is a known issue and our engineers are working to resolve it. I will share your account information with the Customer Support Team so that they can reach out to you and assist you further with your issue.

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi.avery i have the same problem. can you please help me

Hi Elguja,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your files. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
j_yusty
Community Member

Thank you Avery.

I always try to keep the Upwork rules, and I hope you solve this problem soon.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jose, 

I can confirm that this is a known issue, and the team is working to resolve it. In the meantime, I have shared your concern with the Customer Support Team and they will reach out to you to assist you further. 

~ Avery
Upwork

I have the same problem,

This is the error:

Secure Connection Failed

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Hi Givi,

I was not able to replicate the issue you're experiencing. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your concern? I'll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
chelik10
Community Member

It is not safe to download this file. If you really want to access this file please contact Customer Support.

Today . ı got this message from all posts

**edited for Community Guidelines**

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Emin, 

I'll request a member of the Customer Support Team to reach out to you to assist you with your concern. 

~ Avery
Upwork
remargavino123
Community Member

I just found out that I can't download some of PDF files that's my client sent over to me. I says "The file you’re trying to download could not be scanned." We do this for 2 years I think and just found out recently when I start working today what seems to be a problem?

Remar:
I have been reading the threads here in the Forum, and a lot of people experienced similar problems over the past few days. Probably due to some new change in Upwork's file transfer systems.

Personally, I never encounter problems like this, and you don't need to either.

All you need to do is use a tool that is actually intended for file transfers and which does not interfere so aggressively with the process. Pick one of these or anything you like:

FTP

Dropbox

WeTransfer

email

File.com

USB flashdrive

Google Drive

Microsoft One Drive

[etc.]

Hi Remar, 

Please know that this is a known issue and our engineers are working to resolve it. I will go ahead and share your account information with the Customer Support Team so that they can reach out to you and assist you further. 

~ Avery
Upwork
crazymouse
Community Member

Hi, just over the last 30 days, when potential prospects try opening up my sample presentations, they get the message that the fikes are "unsafe" resulting in a significantly reduced number of rewards. Any idea as to why this sudden change when sending a pdf? I've been sending the same pdf files for about a year. Attached are a couple of the files:

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi John, 

A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you further with your concern. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. 

~ Avery
Upwork
caa6ff50
Community Member

FYI I figured out a work-around.  By opening Upwork.com on my phone with google (not the app) I was able to open the pdf files, save to books, then save from books to downloads, then email to my desktop from downloads.

staci-quick
Community Member

I am receiving the same error.  Would you have Cust Serv contact me to resolve please? The project I'm working is due by end of day!

Thank you!
Staci

Hi Staci,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths