cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't download files attached on message

j_yusty
Jose Y Member Since: Jan 30, 2020
1 of 26

I have a problem downloading files from the message. I have downloaded several files from this client before, but suddenly whenever I try to download files, Upwork says "The file you’re trying to download could not be scanned." The original file was pdf file, so we tried compressing the file and she uploaded its zip file. But the same error.

What to do now?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 26

Simplest thing to do is use a tool that is intended for file transfers. Upwork has many limitations, restrictions, automated filtering, automatic changes to files, blocking of certain file types and sizes, etc.

So use any tool you like:

FTP

WeTransfer

Dropbox

Google Drive

Microsoft One Drive

USB thumb drive

email

etc.

j_yusty
Jose Y Member Since: Jan 30, 2020
3 of 26

Thank you, but to use other methods, I need to share my contact information, in a word, my email address. But I think sharing my contact information is banned on Upwork. Am I wrong?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
4 of 26

Let me correct a few misconceptions...

First of all. Upwork has no rules against sharing contact information. There are no rules against transferring files through other means.

Also, there are many ways to share files which do not require sharing contact information such as an email address.

One of the most common and most standard ways to transfer files is through FTP. One does not use an email address or other personal contact information with FTP.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 26

Hi Jose, 

I can confirm that communicating outside of Upwork is not a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. You can share information with your client through email. However, its best to submit all work and contract negotiations through the Upwork platform and Messages. This way your communication is easily documented in case an issue arises. 

We always recommend communicating with clients who respond to your proposals through the platform and use Messages for communicating with prospective clients for security reasons, at least until you're hired for the job and can see a contract under your My Jobs tab.

In the meantime, I'm checking your account issue with the team and I'll come back here once I have more information. 

~ Avery
Upwork
maqbooltariq4
Maqbool T Member Since: Feb 22, 2019
6 of 26

Hey, 
I was trying to send file to my client but it didn't show to my client. Even I Tried to send in all format like Jpeg, PNG, or even raw file like ai and .Cdr but it's not visible to my client. I just want to know that the issue which I currently facing is only held on my account or anyon else. Also, Please let me know when this issue will be resolved.
Thanks

prestonhunter
Community Guru
7 of 26

Upwork can mess up files, including image files.

Use something else to transfer files:

FTP

Dropbox

WeTransfer

email

USB flash drive

Google Drive

Microsoft One Drive

Files.com

etc.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
8 of 26

Hi Maqbool, 

I"m sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you on your end. I checked your account but was unable to confirm the client that you are referring to on your post. Could you please share the Contract ID# for the contract you are referring to? Please also let me know if you submitted the file through the Messages page, or through the milestone-submission/contract page.

ETA: Maqbool, I'm sorry I missed your title which stated that there is an issue with "Messages." Kindly request your client to clear their cookies or use a different browser. And if the issue persists, please share the Contract ID# for this contract so that I can check this with the team.

~ Avery
Upwork
jessstoner
Jessica S Member Since: Jan 26, 2018
9 of 26

Hello I received my first job from a recruiter. I am not able to upload the Excel document. When I click on it I receive the message "The file you’re trying to download could not be scanned." Can someone assist me with this? What does that mean and is it safe?

robin_hyman
Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
10 of 26

Uploaded documents are scanned by some Upwork technology.  It seems that this document couldn't be scanned.  Assuming you have antivirus software on your computer (and the client who hired you is reputable), I would download it. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS