elastella

I cannot afford you - says the client who invited me.

It never ceases to annoy me.

Happened twice today. Will happen again tomorrow.

That's all.

12 REPLIES 12
csjarmitage

Thought they could barter you down to bargain prices?  What a waste of your time.

Can relate. I have an 'ongoing' client - a nice client with interesting work - who occasionally offers me a job within my price range (sort of), otherwise it is a continual exchange of regrets . . .

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

I had an invitation yesterday: translation 329 words = 8 EUR!

I have a flat rate of $50 net freelancer for any translation of 500 words and under and that does not include proofreading or formatting.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

Forgot to mention the 8-USD-client was also "Thinking of having a long term relationship with the translator".

I think I would much prefer a 5 foot tall rusty chicken -

http://thebloggess.com/2011/06/21/and-thats-why-you-should-learn-to-pick-your-battles/

Or "Why You Should Learn to Pick Your Battles" ...

One of my favorite blogs of all time.

That was hysterical, Wendy ... thanks for sharing.

Knock knock, MF ...

st-leipzig

@Ela K wrote:

It never ceases to annoy me.

Happened twice today. Will happen again tomorrow.

That's all.

Heh. I just got one of those too. Kept my message short and added a 0. 

lysis10

Just bid $600 on an invite with a budget of $250. Lol I figure it's a loss but he invited me so he must be joking about budget.
evetodew

Oh, I recently got invited by a client. I applied. And then he rejected my proposal, because I wasn't fit for the job!

Why bother inviting me then?? Yup, clearly he just clicked that button, and never cared to see whom he's inviting, but it's nonetheless super annoying.

That probably happens often, but usually when I receive invitations, which I apply to, the client has the decency to talk to me, even if he doesn't like me in the end. That's fine with me.

Otherwise it feels like 'Welcome to my home. [pause] Uh, wait a minute. Actually, you know what? I don't think I like you. Get out!!'

I have a prospective client now who can't afford my price. I still haven't responded to his offer (of nearly half my price). It's not bad, but the service doesn't cost so low. And I'm the only one he's interviewing. Yet, he wants to open a high-end bike online shop with only the top brands. And he wants a cheap job?

lawrenceww

But as we know, they offer those rates because "professionals" accept them. At the end of the day, the blame lies with Freelancers who teach clients that these rates are acceptable.

@Lawrence W wrote:

But as we know, they offer those rates because "professionals" accept them. At the end of the day, the blame lies with Freelancers who teach clients that these rates are acceptable.

Speaking of professionals, I read a job offer 1 hr ago. The client wants 'Pros', and then in the description he writes something along these lines:

'I want a freelancer who:

- follows orders

- does what I tell him

- must know how to edit a design and follow dimensions'

And several more requirements. What that client is describing is a beginner designer, not a professional! Besides, the condescending attitude of 'you work for me, you do what I tell you' isn't something a real professional will put up with! Certainly I won't!!