🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: I couldn't get hired for a job
Page options
aaron_jesalva98
Community Member

I couldn't get hired for a job

I'm new to upwork and i can't get a job, i've submitted 3 proposal so far and no one is responding to them. It has been a week now. I've applied for a job that suits me, like web development and simple writing or editing jobs all at entry lvl. What's the secret on getting hired? I already did some editing on my profile and submitted decent cover letters to the job posts. Do clients prefer to hire people who only have experience on upwork?but how can i get experience if nobody hires me 😑. I still have zero views on my profile
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sjbercot
Community Member

Hi Aaron, three proposals is a very small number to get started. Most freelancers have to send many proposals to get their first job (and often a lot of proposals after that to  keep working coming in). So it's not surprising that you don't have much success after only three. It might help you to check your job feed at least a few times a week, if not every day. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
sjbercot
Community Member

Hi Aaron, three proposals is a very small number to get started. Most freelancers have to send many proposals to get their first job (and often a lot of proposals after that to  keep working coming in). So it's not surprising that you don't have much success after only three. It might help you to check your job feed at least a few times a week, if not every day. 

Thanks for the advice! So i should just submit lots of proposal everyday? So i should invest on the upwork credit required to submit my proposals? I'm currently on the free plan. I have only 5 connects left
a_lipsey
Community Member

Aaron J wrote:
I'm new to upwork and i can't get a job, i've submitted 3 proposal so far and no one is responding to them. It has been a week now. I've applied for a job that suits me, like web development and simple writing or editing jobs all at entry lvl. What's the secret on getting hired? I already did some editing on my profile and submitted decent cover letters to the job posts. Do clients prefer to hire people who only have experience on upwork?but how can i get experience if nobody hires me 😑. I still have zero views on my profile

Your profile is also pretty "meh" which makes me think your proposals are also probably "meh." You say a lot of obvious stuff like reiterating your education, which is listed, plus restating a few times in different ways what you do. It's not client centric enough. It's too much about what you do and not enough about what you can do for the client. Why should the client hire you above every other freelancer out there? You haven't made that case. It's an ad, so you have to sell yourself and, more importantly, your services. 

Thanks for the feedback. How can i improve my profile. I'm new to freelancing. Any advice to make my self appealing to the clients who view my profile?🤔

I desperately need a mentor on upwork 😅. Can you can mentor me to improve my profile as well as my self on developing on the freelancing world? You seem to have allot of experience on working at upwork with high successes 😁

It's really up to you whether you think investing in connects is worth it. It's very competitive here, but there are tons of resources to help. When I started, I applied to about 10-30 jobs a week, and that was enough to get my foot in the door, but there were a lot fewer freelancers on the site then. And I spent time studying what works and improving my profile, etc. You could always try for a month and cancel the plan, or just buy a chunk of connects and give it a try for a while. Definitely make sure you are applying only to jobs you'd be great at though, and make sure you understand all the requirements before you accept an offer. 

Thanks for the advice based from your experience
filip_knezevic
Community Member

Do clients prefer to hire people who only have experience on upwork?

Yes.

but how can i get experience if nobody hires me 😑

That is the catch 22.

I'm new to upwork and i can't get a job, i've submitted 3 proposal so far and no one is responding to them. 

With an established profile I submit around 100 proposals per month and get hired to couple of them only.

Not to mention you are trying to find job in one of the most crowded job categories at Upwork. There are literally thousands of web developers out there. You are competing many of them.

In addition, knowing Wordpress plugins is not really making you a true web developer.

Do you know code? Java, C etc? 

Check some profiles of good web developers. You will see many programming skills listed, which I didn't see on your profile.

Thanks for the info i didn't realized that the web development category is huge. And yes i know java, java script, php and liquid on shopify. But mostly i just find ez entry jobs like editing or desgining the webpage for clients. I can't apply for the expert lvl or higher lvl jobs because my profile is empty on experience. Anyways thanks for the advice. I'm gonna rethink my strategy on getting a job on upwork. I'm really new to all of this and i just wanna try out if it works out for me. I didn't realize being a freelancer could be so competitive and complicated lol. Well its never too late to sharpen my skills on java😅. I mainly use javascrip and php for back end stuff when i was still in school. I didn't went into app developing because i just really like designing on the front end.

Well, this is the largest freelance marketplace in the world. 

People earn serious money here.

Of course it's very competitive.

Noted

Have you getten a job ? How ? I submitted 40 proposal , no Jobs !!!!

Hi Adeeb,

Thanks for reaching out! I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles
to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Visit our Resource Center and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths