jackiepeeler

I'd Appreciate a Profile Review

Could someone please review my profile and let me know what I could do better? I just made some changes in line with examples here, and appreciate the guidance very much.

Had some success on Elance, and I'm just now plunging into Upworks seriously. I do know there are other issues with how my portfolio transferred. I did correct a title display, where an ampersand appeared as code, but need to research how this works more to fix other stuff. I'm on it.

Jackie

23 REPLIES 23
moha-plaban

Hi, i think your hourly rate is too high because of you are new here. also you should take some upwork test to prove others that how much expert you are. good luck
Mahmudul H - WordPress Designer and Developer

What would you think is appropriate hourly rate at this point>

lysis10

You've got tons of portfolio pieces, and that will be your seller. Upwork takes some getting used to, but I use the same bidding style and working mode that I did on Elance. It's basically same thing with more green. lol

jmeyn

@Jacqueline P wrote:

Could someone please review my profile and let me know what I could do better? I just made some changes in line with examples here, and appreciate the guidance very much.

Had some success on Elance, and I'm just now plunging into Upworks seriously. I do know there are other issues with how my portfolio transferred. I did correct a title display, where an ampersand appeared as code, but need to research how this works more to fix other stuff. I'm on it.

Jackie

Jacqueline,

Just had a look at your portfolio - wow! Anybody seriously interested in quality ought to view your hourly rate as a bargain. Upwork will require some patience but then ought to work out for you. Took me several months but now the jobs are there. IMHO the quality of jobs and clients has recently increased.

Good luck!

Thank you so much. That's very encouraging. 

PS, I didn't mean to indicate that the advice to lower my rate was the best reply, just didn't know what it meant to hit the Acept button. I meant that I accepted the advice and would look into that.

Live and Learn.

Jackie

If it means anything, I've had no problems getting my rate. As long as you have something to back it up, the jobs are there. Your portfolio is great.

I agree with Jennifer and Joachim. I don't think it will take that long before you are doing as well as you did on Elance. Don't drop your price.

@Jacqueline P wrote:

PS, I didn't mean to indicate that the advice to lower my rate was the best reply, just didn't know what it meant to hit the Acept button.

You shouldn't even consider this answer. Better read what Joaquim wrote, makes way more sense. Some people here believe that the only way to thrive on Upwork is by charging rock-bottom prices. That's true for those without marketable skills or who are stuck in low-level and very competitive industries.

This is definitely not your case.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

i think your profile is great. if you struggle getting work after being persistent for quite a while, it will likely be because of your job success score. But, I can't help you with that because I don't understand how it's calculated, Upwork won't explain it in a way that actually makes sense, and it doesn't seem to match your actual profile. It's really the only thing I strongly dislike about this site - I pray every day they get rid of it. Good luck!

The OP's JSS score is probably due to some bleeping algorithm carried over from Elance. But it is possible to jump up to the 90s with just a couple of really good jobs. I have absolutely no doubt the OP will soon be top rated.

I don't know what happened with the JS score. I had good feedback from clients who gave it, which thankfully shows.  And I had 5 stars on Elance.

With the one person who did not leave feedback, I withdrew because the client wanted some bad design changes. I didn't want to take money to do something that wouldn't work, so suggested he move forward with another designer. It was amicable all around.

Maybe withdrawing affects the score more, or it might be just that the one no-feedback is a high percentage of total jobs as I hadn't been on Elance long. Oh -- there was also my first client who never funded the job and just faded into the background. I don't think they would count that though. 

I have thought of including an explanation of the JS score on propsosals, but that might just emphasize the issue. Not that much detail, just that I had 5 stars on Elance and the 75% rate resulted when I transferred over. 

@Jacqueline P wrote:

I don't know what happened with the JS score. I had good feedback from clients who gave it, which thankfully shows.  And I had 5 stars on Elance.

With the one person who did not leave feedback, I withdrew because the client wanted some bad design changes. I didn't want to take money to do something that wouldn't work, so suggested he move forward with another designer. It was amicable all around.

Maybe withdrawing affects the score more, or it might be just that the one no-feedback is a high percentage of total jobs as I hadn't been on Elance long. Oh -- there was also my first client who never funded the job and just faded into the background. I don't think they would count that though. 

I have thought of including an explanation of the JS score on propsosals, but that might just emphasize the issue. Not that much detail, just that I had 5 stars on Elance and the 75% rate resulted when I transferred over. 

First paragraph...they'll lower your JSS for doing that.

That first client...they'll lower your JSS for that.

That job you did for $20 / hr looks bad against your current rate.

I would quote one of your client feedbacks in your overview. 

The first 3-4 lines of your overview is what a client sees when you apply for a job so make it work for you.

Always attach a portfolio piece when you apply for jobs.

....and if you breathe, they'll lower your JSS for doing that.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

@Jacqueline P wrote:

Jackie

You have a great portfolio and will find clients who look for quality and will pay accordingly. However, as a good photo is important, I would like to suggest using a more favorable photo. The eyeglas lenses reflect, so your eyes are not visible and this is somehow vexing.

Thank you very much re advice on using another photo. I will get on that. It was suggested to me before (not on here), but I thought it was kind of arty and interesting. Believe I was wrong.

The title of your profile tells me what you do -- magazine design -- so use that crucial first sentence to set yourself apart and sell the benefits you bring to a client.

Sell your portfolio. Look around and you'll find freelancers with a strong portfolio are not that common here.

While AP sadly changed the stylebook to permit "over" when referring to quantity, a lot of us still wince at that usasge. "More than 11 years" would be preferred...

I wouldn't lower hour hourly rate on your profile. You can always lower it or negotiate it down according to the particular job. Clients who pay low-ball rates aren't worth the trouble.

Thank you, I'll make the suggested changes. I had "more than," changed it to "other" for some obscure reason that I've forgotten. 

petra_r

I agree with everyone who said you have a really great portfolio, and please do NOT lower your rate! You will never compete on price with the bottom-feeders and should not even try.

Margarete has made a good point - that glare on your glasses was the first thing I noticed when you posted, and on your profile, it is very distracting, I'd change that photo pronto.

Thanks! I'll fix the glasses issue.

If you just moved your profile in the last 2 or 3 days, it will adjust in a few weeks to a more normal score. That seems to happen with most people transferring over. I would explain that to clients in a proposal.

Your rate should be what you are willing to work for. After awhile you'll get to know your competition here and you'll adjust your rate accordingly.

For me, I've had to lower my rate due to the low rates that Elancers are offering. You'll find a lot of Odesk people had higher rates if they had the goods to back it up.

Remove all the words " I " in your overview and focus more on how what you do will benefit the client. 

@Jean S wrote:

Remove all the words " I " in your overview and focus more on how what you do will benefit the client. 

Maybe you should take your own advise then Jean. You have "I" all through your profile.... 

And you shouldn't need to lower your rate because of others. You should work for what you are worth not because someone else charges less.

I noticed that as well Suzanne. 

I also noticed a spelling mistake, but I think Jean didn't notice that. 

Also, I noticed that there are words not at the beginning of a sentence that are capitalized, like Business copywriter, and Press Releases, but things like internet copywriter or wedding speech writer aren't capitalized. (just doesn't flow, yaknow? I figure that if you're going to capitalize some, might as well do all. ) Speaking of wedding speech writer, there should be a comma in between writer and eulogy. There might be more errors, but I'm tired and I need sleep. 

Dam my radar eyes for spotting mistakes!!! 😉 

Just chalk this up to my good deed for that last day of 2015. 

I also don't think she should explain the JS, or that it needs a few more weeks to update, in her proposal - unless the client asks about it. I wouldn't bring more attention to the JS score than necessary. 

When freelancers first move over from Elance there job success score is not completely updated until a few weeks pass and EVERYTHING has been moved and taken into account.