cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I destroyed my JSS, what should I do now ?

romaindo
Ace Contributor
Romain D Member Since: May 30, 2016
1 of 52

Hello,

I’m desperate 😞
I’m new on Upwork and two days ago I didn’t even have a JSS.
Today I have five completed jobs with 5 stars and good reviews + three open contracts (two with multiple milestones and just one with no activity since I competed it).
Last night I checked my profile and saw my first JSS : 80% !!!
It’s already so hard when you are a beginner, this JSS just destroyed me. Nobody will want to work with me anymore.
What did I do? If only I knew that I misunderstood something, I could fix it.
I was waiting for this first JSS, and I was confident ( I dedicated countless hours of work to make sure everything was « perfect », always met my deadlines, always answered any message in less than 2 hours, even at night!).
I had 8 clients in total and I’m still in contact with 6 of them.
I really don’t understand why I deserve this JSS. It’s a disaster.
What could I do to improve it ? I really don’t know what else I should do now.

😞

khurram4m
Community Guru
Khurram J Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
2 of 52

It seems some of your clients back stabbed you with far less private feedback than public feedback which appears on your profile .... A sudden drop in JSS is a neightmair for everyone noone want these results but we can't help it, The unfortunate Private feedback from clients is a huge factor in JSS calculation , 

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 52

It is NOT destroyed. It is 80%. As soon as another contract or two close, and the feedback (public and private) are good, it will go up again. Mine dipped below 90 on more than one occasion...the funny thing is, I got more work when it was in the 80's than when it was in the 90's. It is not a death sentence unless you want it to be.

khurram4m
Community Guru
Khurram J Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
4 of 52

I totally agree with Irene my JSS is 100% but I'm almost out of work for one month now .....

anima9
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
5 of 52

80% isn't destroyed. Destroyed is if you've been here a long time and it goes below 80. Keep at it, treat clients professionally, and it'll go up to 90+ in no time.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 52

Romain,

The JSS is a complete enigma, and you are not likely to get any satisfactory answers. One or two of your clients may have marked you down privately, but there are other factors involved (this is what I have been told but not what those factors are).  However, although  80% is not the greatest score, it is not the worst either, and of course you will get other jobs.

You may think this is a bad time to do it, but I think you should increase your rates (to at least, $0.04 per word,), and now that you have some work under your belt, perhaps you should add a  portfolio to your profile. Forget the JSS for the moment, your profile page looks good and you have excellent test scores. I am absolutely sure your JSS will soon increase. I should think there are plenty of clients out there who will look at what you can offer them and not worry too much about the length of the blue line.

Take heart and keep bidding (wisely).

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
7 of 52

I don't have a JSS yet and am a little worried as it seems mysterious and impulsive (can an algorithm be impulsive?) However, there does seem to be an issue with the current calculation, there are a lot of threads about it. Maybe part of your issue is related to that? My understanding is that the JSS should update every two weeks, on a Sunday. Has that just changed? I have a mid-week update, but no JSS yet, it is less than two weeks from the last. So it is strange. (PS -- I am not complaining about my lack of JSS, I am kind of relieved if the score has a bug in it right now). 

I think there might be a clue about private feedback in your "stats" tab. I am just saying this based on what I heard from others and saw in my own tab. If you look in that tab, there is a stat for long-term clients and also for clients who would recommend you. That percentage might hint to your private feedback as I think it is based on private feedback. 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
8 of 52

Romain,

Private feedback has a strong impact on your JSS. Sometimes, not always but sometimes, clients may not be happy with your work but they don't want to put you down. They would leave you a nice feedback, but when asked privately about your work, they may be more honest.

Maybe somehow unrelated but still important is your rate. $0.02/word and $13/hour is a rate so low that no serious client will ever consider hiring you. 

I do exactly the same language pair as you do, and my per word rate is way, but way over yours. And I'm declining invites almost daily. I really cannot understand why translators accept to put themselves into slavery with so low rates. It's just beyond me

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 52

@Rene K wrote:

Romain,

Private feedback has a strong impact on your JSS. Sometimes, not always but sometimes, clients may not be happy with your work but they don't want to put you down. They would leave you a nice feedback, but when asked privately about your work, they may be more honest.

Also, what clients interpret as positive and what Upwork interprets as positive may not be the same. For example, if a client says 7 out of 10 likelihood that they'd recommend you, that may seem pretty good to them...but, all indications are that that's a negative rating from Upwork's perspective.

walkerrowe
Community Guru
Walker R Member Since: Sep 30, 2015
10 of 52

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

The data I cannot see on your profile is your public feedback average.  (I don't even know what a private feedback is as I have never gotten one of those.)  Also I am not sure I can see if you have had any cancelled jobs.  What I can see if if you have jobs without feedback (a minus -).

Walker

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS