cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I don't get hired after becoming Top Rated.

Highlighted
Mary A Member Since: Dec 19, 2015
1 of 16
Hello!

I used to receive a lot of invitation to interviews, many job offers when I was not a top rated freelancer and my job score was between 88 and 92.Nearly all clients contacted me after reading my purposals. I thought that the number of offers will increase after getting this long awaited badge but to my surprise that didn't happen.

On the contrary-I receive no invitation to interviews,my proposals get ignored so I never get hired even for the jobs I totally qualify for.

It's not that my rate is too high either so what's the problem for the clients?
Maybe it's better to lose my badge but at least get hired.

So you have any thoughts or advice?

Thanks a lot!
Community Guru
Bettye U Member Since: Mar 6, 2016
2 of 16

I noticed a drop in invitations to interview as well after earning my Top Rated badge last week. I've been busy so haven't been doing much applying, but when I applied to an editing position yesterday the client did contact me. Unfortunately, he pulled a bait-and-switch, dropping the advertised budget from $100 down to $30, so I withdrew.

My advice would be to keep trying. It might be that the time of year is playing a role. I'm not seeing a lot of jobs that interest me. People might be putting work on hold.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 16

You've got 8 jobs in progress ... what's the problem?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
4 of 16

"Top rated" does not mean you get to "work less" to get that next job; all it means is that you've done well in the "past".

I'm sure there are plenty of "noobs" around that can kick top *ss; just haven't "proven" it (yet).

So, keep those (good) applications going; there is no free lunch.

Highlighted
Elizabeth S Member Since: Jun 19, 2018
5 of 16

No one was asking for a free lunch. The original poster's question seemed to concern getting fewer replies to his proposals, rather than kicking back and waiting for jobs to come to him.

That being said, I'm beginning to notice a lack of proposals coming my way after just two weeks as top rated. Sure, it's only been two weeks, but I was getting multiple proposals each day before, and suddenly, it's more like one per week.

But this thread was started in early December, right before Christmas. And as I'm noticing the same thing happening, school is letting out for summer and people are gearing up for vacations. So that does suggest a pattern of the season playing a roll in the volume of available jobs.

If anything, it seems the poster and I got our badges just in the nick of time to give us a seasonal advantage.

Highlighted
Arslan A Member Since: Jun 9, 2019
6 of 16

Oh God, I thought I was the only one. Its been a couple of months now since I got top-rated. I used to get a reply from at least one proposal out of ten when I was rising talent. But now I've spent too many connects, I even bought extra again. I can only get my past clients to order again but I never hear back from the proposals I submit now. Also, I used to get invites if I was ever inactive for a week or so, but now I haven't gotten any for months. 

Highlighted
Elizabeth S Member Since: Jun 19, 2018
7 of 16
I think Covid has changed who is working online And using Upwork a little
bit over the last few months. Don't worry, that status really is helpful!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
8 of 16

Elizabeth S wrote:
I think Covid has changed who is working online And using Upwork a little
bit over the last few months. Don't worry, that status really is helpful!

I checked out your profile and I really like the first sentences but you should take out the word currently in the next paragraph.  You want to be definitive and the word currently makes it sound like you not really interested in that (even if true how does it help you to communicate it).

Highlighted
Sajeel A Member Since: May 25, 2020
9 of 16

Can you please take a look into my profile and let me know is this ok or should I change some thing?

Highlighted
Ayoub L Member Since: Aug 14, 2017
10 of 16

Hello sir!

Can you please check my profile and told me if there's anything to add or to change on it?

Thanks

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS