🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I don't pay VAT taxes
Page options
223a86da
Community Member

I don't pay VAT taxes

Hi. I'm a Dutch freelancer. My annual income less than €20000. So, I do not pay VAT taxes and my invoices have not to have a string with VAT. How will UpWork do this?

10 REPLIES 10
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Natalia B wrote:

Hi. I'm a Dutch freelancer. My annual income less than €20000. So, I do not pay VAT taxes and my invoices have not to have a string with VAT. How will UpWork do this?

What you mean is that you don't have a VAT number? In that case, reverse charge will not apply to you and you will have to pay VAT on the upwork fee and the purchase of connects.

I have a VAT number. But I am exempt from tax because my income is small.

Natalia B wrote:

As far as I'm aware, if you've registered for a VAT number, that means you have to charge VAT to your clients. If you don't have a VAT number, that means you need to pay VAT on your purchases (i.e. Upwork service charges and connects). You can't have it both ways.

Natalia B wrote:

I've registered in The Netherland.

https://meijburg.com/news/new-vat-small-businesses-scheme-january-1-2020

Okay, but why would you register if your income is below the threshold? That means that you need to charge VAT to your clients; your government will expect you to fill out VAT forms and remit the taxes to them. 

I registered because I need to pay Income tax.

Natalia B wrote:

I registered because I need to pay Income tax.

Income tax isn't the same thing as VAT. 

Natalia B wrote:

Then use it so that you will not have to pay VAT on fees. 

Do you mean I need to remove VAT number from my account?

Natalia B wrote:

Do you mean I need to remove VAT number from my account?

I'm not Dutch so I can't give you definitive advice, but in my country, you can't just ignore the VAT once you've registered; UK freelancers are charged a penalty just for failing to submit the forms in a timely manner. You should contact someone at your taxation office to sort this out (also find out how to do your bookkeeping properly and keep accurate records - that's part of running your own business).

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members