Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't trust the client.

amandagoncalves
Amanda G Member Since: Jul 24, 2017
1 of 4

Hello!

This is my first job interview and I don't think I can trust the client. He's asking many documents, even my electricity bill to check I'm a real person. Is that usual?

He's new at upwork, and as I have never done this before, I prefer asking.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 4

Amanda, that's very abnormal. If I were you and this took place in Upwork messaging, I might report him. Just hover over one of his messages and you'll see a gear icon; click it, then choose Report Message. Or else stop communicating with him.

Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
3 of 4

Did you apply for this job? If not, then it's most likely a scam. Scammers contact new freelancers because new freelancers do not know the in's and outs of this site and what to look out for. New freelancers are easy targets for any scam client to take advantage of, - and there are A LOT of scammers on this site. You need to take some time out and learn what to look out for and how to use Upwork.

This client, especially if you didn't apply for this job, sure sounds like a scammer and you should report them.

A client does not need to know ANYTHING personal about you. All they need to know is that you are going to do their work to their satisfaction. Your electric bill has nothing to do with the job in questions or how you work.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 4

re: "He's asking many documents, even my electricity bill to check I'm a real person. Is that usual?"

Are you applying for a job as an identity thief's victim?

If I was a client interested in hiring you and I wanted to check if you are a real person, I would ask you to do a short interview via phone or Skype. I would not ask for any documents.

This one is probably a scammer, and you should probably stop communicating with him.

But for future reference, if you encounter a client who you think is a real client, but simply is unaware of how to hire properly from Upwork, you do NOT need to stop communicating with him. You can tell him:

"Josiah:

Thank you for your interest in hiring me. Yes, I would be happy to have you do any verification you need. You may go ahead and check my Upwork profile or contact Upwork directly to obtain all the verification and documents that your organization needs."

[See... This puts the responsibility on the client to use the Upwork system as intended. Upwork will verify that you're a freelancer here if the client asks. And Upwork representatives will not send any privite information or documents to the client. But they can verify that your information is on file.]

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS