🐈 Community

I don't understand Client payment milestone

I don't understand how milestones work. This is my first time receiving payment in milestones. The negotiated $5 per post and I completed 5 posts which is $25. But on receiving payments I saw;

Amount paid: $25.00

Amount: $5.00

I only got an invoice of $5 and the same $5 was reflected on my balance, instead of $25 

please help and tell me what is going on. If I need to message the client

6 REPLIES 6

Please I'm suppose to get $25 for this first milestone and I got $5. Is it
the clients fault or what went wrong.

He is yet to pay the second milestone tho.
Please view the screenshot below.

Temitope O wrote:
Please I'm suppose to get $25 for this first milestone and I got $5. Is it
the clients fault or what went wrong.

He is yet to pay the second milestone tho.
Please view the screenshot below.

It is your fault that you didn't know how to use upwork properly. You are lucky to have a very honest client who still paid you. 

First rule of upwork: never sent work when a milestone isn't funded. You should have asked the client to set the milestone with the full amount, since it's ridiculous to approve 5 separate 5$ milestones. Next time you know better. 

djondinium
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Temitope,

The milestone was set for $5 and the client sent an additional bonus payment of $20 which is why it's showing like that. The bonus payment is currently in the 'Pending' tab of your Reports page and should become available for you tomorrow, on the 13th of October.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
m_terrazas

Temitope O wrote:

I don't understand how milestones work. This is my first time receiving payment in milestones. The negotiated $5 per post and I completed 5 posts which is $25. But on receiving payments I saw;

Amount paid: $25.00

Amount: $5.00

I only got an invoice of $5 and the same $5 was reflected on my balance, instead of $25 

please help and tell me what is going on. If I need to message the client

You should be well informed about how milestones and hourly work work before proceeding.
How do you begin to work without knowing how it works?
This is what leads many freelancers to get scammed.

You can begin here:
https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211060918-Manage-How-You-Get-Paid

wlyonsatl

Temitope,

Milestones allow you to complete certain steps within the overall project and get paid by the client each time a step is completed and you have submitted your work for that step to the client.

If the overall value of a project is $25 and you agree to five steps of $5 apiece, the client should fund each step for the full $5 amount (in "escrow" on Upwork's system) before you begin work on that step. When you submit your work for that step, (s)he should release that step's $5 payment and fund the next step's $5 amount, so you can begin work on that step and so on through all five steps. If the client doesn't release the payment for work you have submitted, Upwork will do it - after 14 days, if there is no objection from the client.

Upwork calls these steps "milestones" and it's up to you and your client to agree on the amount of each milestone when you set up the contract on Upwork.

Remember: Don't start work on a milestone before the client has fully funded escrow for the amount of that milestone. Don't begin work on a milestone until all amounts in escrow for previous steps have been released to you. And don't re-submit the work on a completed milestone to the client if they don't release payment right away. That only re-starts the 14-day automatic payment clock.

And don't accept "bonus" payments as part of the total payment amount of what you want to be paid for a project. A bonus payment is extra over and above the contract amount. The client may or may not actually pay you a bonus, even if they've agreed in writing that they will.

Good luck!

It is your fault.

That is good news.

That means that you have the POWER.

That means you can choose to do better next time.