🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I don't understand how the hourly projects ar...
Page options
1b508068
Community Member

I don't understand how the hourly projects are terminated.

Hello,

I was working with a client on an hourly basis, but after a few hours, the client decided it was best to make it a fixed contract. They deposited a fraction of the amount and started a fixed contract, which I have accepted and working on. However, the hourly one was terminated. But the hourly one reads "in progress under my reports" I am not sure what that means and how it should be ended.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I don't understand how the hourly projects are terminated."

Simple.

A client or freelancer navigates to the contract listing. They click on the "three dots" icon and select an option to "End Contract" or "Close Contract" or "Cancel Contract."

re: "I was working with a client on an hourly basis, but after a few hours, the client decided it was best to make it a fixed contract."

The client has the right to decide that.

A client is allowed to close a contract at any time for any reason.

A client is ALWAYS allowed to send you an offer to a fixed-price contract.

You (as a freelancer) have the right to ACCEPT or DECLINE the offer. The choice is YOURS.

re: "They deposited a fraction of the amount and started a fixed contract, which I have accepted and working on. However, the hourly one was terminated. But the hourly one reads 'in progress' under my reports. I am not sure what that means and how it should be ended."

Reports displayed on screen are not always 100% up to date. There is a time lag for many things in Upwork. You may indeed see some places where a now-closed hourly contract is listed as "in progress." That is fine.

The KEY way to see if a contract is open or closed is to look here:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

If you see a contract listed there, then it is NOT YET closed. If a contract is NOT listed there, then the contract is not active any more. The contract has been closed.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I don't understand how the hourly projects are terminated."

Simple.

A client or freelancer navigates to the contract listing. They click on the "three dots" icon and select an option to "End Contract" or "Close Contract" or "Cancel Contract."

re: "I was working with a client on an hourly basis, but after a few hours, the client decided it was best to make it a fixed contract."

The client has the right to decide that.

A client is allowed to close a contract at any time for any reason.

A client is ALWAYS allowed to send you an offer to a fixed-price contract.

You (as a freelancer) have the right to ACCEPT or DECLINE the offer. The choice is YOURS.

re: "They deposited a fraction of the amount and started a fixed contract, which I have accepted and working on. However, the hourly one was terminated. But the hourly one reads 'in progress' under my reports. I am not sure what that means and how it should be ended."

Reports displayed on screen are not always 100% up to date. There is a time lag for many things in Upwork. You may indeed see some places where a now-closed hourly contract is listed as "in progress." That is fine.

The KEY way to see if a contract is open or closed is to look here:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

If you see a contract listed there, then it is NOT YET closed. If a contract is NOT listed there, then the contract is not active any more. The contract has been closed.

Thank you for your reply, to be specific, the part I don't understand is where it says "in progress" and yet the client ended it. 

re: "the part I don't understand is where it says 'in progress' and yet the client ended it."

Ignore that.

Don't worry about it.

Check back in two weeks and see if it still says "in progress"

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members