🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I don't want my verified name as my profile n...
Page options
alliance-graphic
Community Member

I don't want my verified name as my profile name. How do I do this?

Hello all!

I just had my name verified and had a video chat with one of Upwork's staffs. But now my profile name is changed to my verified name.

I think I read somewhere that our profile name doesn't have to be the same as my verified name. Just wondering how I can change that.

Thank you!

12 REPLIES 12
pudingstudio
Community Member

Xiaoqin L wrote:

Hello all!

I just had my name verified and had a video chat with one of Upwork's staffs. But now my profile name is changed to my verified name.

I think I read somewhere that our profile name doesn't have to be the same as my verified name. Just wondering how I can change that.

Thank you!

No, it must.

Also, "our"? In a plural sense, meaning that more people will be using your account?

Got it. I guess the article I read must be an old one.

11401584037775_.pic.jpg

NO. Our meaning us upwork users.

Hi Xiaoqin,

You can update your name by going to Settings and using the edit button. If your name variation is not acceptable, our agent will advise you directly about mismatch on your documents and suggest editing your Upwork profile name to match your legal name. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
kelly_e
Community Member

I'm having the same issue and I don't understand this.

All I see here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038162013-Verified-Name

Is this:

"When a freelancer agrees to enter into a contract with a client, we share the freelancer's verified name with the client. 

Your full, verified name (the one on your government-issued ID) will appear in two locations that are visible to your clients: 

- On your invoices for the client 
- In the “Contract Room” you share with the client

In fact it specifically says:

"Your verified name is only shared on invoices and the Contract Room you have with a client. Your profile name can be a nickname or variation, as long as it follows our name change guidelines."

If the policy page says it's okay to have a variation for the profile name (I use my first name and the first letter of my last name, just like Bojan is doing here—and of course, I have no problem with my verfied name being shared with clients), why is causing this a problem?

Not trying to take any side in this discussion, but just out of curiosity, why would someone not want to have their real name shown?

Personally—I have a stalker. (Sounds strange when it's said like that, but there you have it.) So it's for my safety. On public websites, I don't like to use my full name, because someone searching for me out in the www could find me. And believe me, I stay off almost all social media, yet I have been found by this person in some fairly obscure places.

For other folks—maybe not wanting their full-time employer to find out they're side-hustling. Or family. Or ??? 

Hi Kelly,

Just to clarify, first name and last name initial is the way all names are shown on profiles and here in the Community. Even if you have your full last name on your Upwork account, your profile will only show first name and last initial when others view it. 

I see an agent is assisting you via the ticket and have clarified that you can have a variation of your last name as your preferred name on Upwork, it just can't be one letter.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

And I tried asking how few/many letters of my last name it needs to be, got no response. e.g. Is two letters okay? Please understand, I don't want to be found by people who already know me and are trying to cause trouble for me online. I want to be found by clients.  🙂
I tried quoting exactly what I did above—Upwork's policy—looking for why it says one thing but I'm being told another, perhaps it is actually okay since it says there that it *is* okay?—no response to that.
Tried asking if this could be escalated, got no response.

So I thought maybe if others were having the same confusion in the forums, this would be a good place to share that I am, as well. That's why the forums are here, right?
I don't mean to be a problem at all, just trying to make Upwork satisfied and keep myself and my family safe. Surely we all want the same thing. If the intention is to verify that we are who we say we are and that's been achieved (bank info's good, I did the video, I sent my photo ID), then why is there still an issue?

Upwork's purpose is to connect clients from all over the world with freelancers from all over the world. This is essentially the opposite of "providing anonymity."

No policy change will maximize anonymity compared to not using the site at all. This is true for all websites and social media.

Of course! I haven't asked for anonymity from clients and I don't think the original poster was, either. I know clients will see my full last name when we agree to work together, per the policies on the website I quoted above—in fact I usually put my full last name in my first communication with prospective clients anyway, just to be a little extra-personable. That's quite different from having it be searchable.

Kelly,

Your last name will not be searcheable on Upwork or in search engines (unless you select this option in your Settings) and will not show on your profile even if you provide your real full name on your Upwork account. On your profile and the Community forums the last name you provide will be shortened to just the first letter. 

You can shorten your preferred last name to a few letters and I'll follow up with the team that's handling your ticket so that they could review. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thanks, Valeria. I added a letter.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members