🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: I feel like giving up, why am I not getti...
Page options
danthecamman
Community Member

I feel like giving up, why am I not getting any work?

I've been wasting all my connects every month since January and I was even on the Plus account.

I recently switched back to Basic because I was wasting my money paying monthly and buying more connects.

I almost want to give up on this it really saddens me.

Would any of you mind looking at my profile and please tell me what is wrong with it? Have any of you had this problem but just keep trying and trying?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
j_rains
Community Member

I've only been active on UpWork for about 1 month now and I've actually had no issues with landing jobs. After looking at your profile it seems like me and you are at the same level regarding how much we've earned and what not.

So firstly, you're charging WAY too little for the services that you're offering. I also believe that you need to NOT offer anything for free on this platform.  Towards the end of your "introduction", you say "Please choose me" you don't want to come off as desperate, that just drives people away "in my opinion".

Then just too touch on two other things real fast, you don't really have any work in the Portfolio section...somebody with your years of experience should easily have multiple projects that they could use as examples, and finally your most recent review can definitely be hurting you a bit.

Again, I'm still super new but I hope I helped some.

EDIT: I just noticed your specialty profile " I don't know if that's the name of it" but don't start it out by saying "Hey guys I'm super new" it looks really unprofessional and makes it seem like you lack confidence in yourself.

dsmgdesign
Community Member

As to your question about your profile, I wouldn't start it off by offering a free trial edit. Makes you look unprofessional, plus if it means you are offering free work thats against the TOS. Also, do you have more work to show in your portfolio? I would beef that up a bit more. And for goodness sake, increase your hourly rate. 

I too have struggled to find clients, even recently, but kept trying and trying. I made a profile of my ideal client and focussed my time on work that I thought would be repeat clients. I'm now working pretty consistently again. Not full time by any means, but I don't want full time. I already work 30-35 hrs a week, so I'm looking for another 5-15 hrs each week for extra cash. Keep trying, but do some deep thinking about who your ideal client is, and go after them. And, be sure to connect with your prospective client in your proposals in a way that makes you hard to turn down, which of course means customizing each one as every client is different. 

m_roganovic
Community Member

I'd echo what others are saying. 

Make your writeup more professional. Charge more for video editing work, people don't take you seriously and will hire people that charge more because they seem more confident. 

And also, format your bio in the specialized profile so that there are line breaks. 

amurigi
Community Member

While I agree with the others that making some changes to your profile may work. I have been having the same problem. Since January until now, I have sent multiple proposals and I have not received a single contract. Last year, I was landing jobs without a problem, but this year, I don't know what is going on. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members