🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I feel like some clients are wasting my time.
Page options
sohaibkhn
Community Member

I feel like some clients are wasting my time.

We discussed the scope of the job and they just keep wasting my time. I've spent around 4 hours over the past two days dealing with their issues pertaining to the scope of the job and what I can do. They seem to just want information from me. Is this against TOS or just a beginner's mistake on my part?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Even beginners should not make the mistake of spending 4 hours discussing the scope, and if the scope is so complicated and your help is needed in defining the scope, you are definitely contributing in some way, so you should be compensated for that time. 

But there are many clients who on the pretext of the interview ask for solutions to the problems they are facing, disguising them as questions like "how would you solve XYZ issue or what would be your approach to ABC problem?" so they get a free consultation. So stay away from such clients...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lilitlyolik
Community Member

Hello Sohaib. 
If the client requests free work, it's a TOS violation. 
I'm sorry, that you lost time and didn't get a contract yet with these clients.
Discussion of the project before getting a contract is your choice. Of course, you need to discuss all, but 
spending 4 hours, is too much I think. 
I'll recommend you check the client's AVG paid rate, hire rate, and the client's feedback from other freelancers.
This will help you to recognize does it is worth wasting time on discussions or not. 
Wish you a lot of new contracts soon. 

Yea, I need to start putting my foot down, I'm new so I didn't realize that this was a thing. I'm glad that I'm getting responses to my profile.

Thanks for the response! It's appreciated!

Oh, yes, it's a thing. Discussing a job can take time, but it should be done after the contract is started. A minimum of discussion should be held on specific aspects of the job that are actually the job. Communicating pre-contract is essential, but it should be a conversation on the specific needs and requirements, not filling in pieces of the job disguised as the interview.

You have to set your limits before talking to a client. That way, you are not in the middle of a job, and worried about the outcome. Decide in advance how long you will talk to a client, what you will discuss, and how much you will devote to someone who may or may not hire you.

ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Even beginners should not make the mistake of spending 4 hours discussing the scope, and if the scope is so complicated and your help is needed in defining the scope, you are definitely contributing in some way, so you should be compensated for that time. 

But there are many clients who on the pretext of the interview ask for solutions to the problems they are facing, disguising them as questions like "how would you solve XYZ issue or what would be your approach to ABC problem?" so they get a free consultation. So stay away from such clients...

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members