🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I feel traumatized...Upwork support, please h...
Page options
sa-rahman
Community Member

I feel traumatized...Upwork support, please help!

A couple of days ago a client treated me very badly. Initially, I thought it wouldn't affect me too much. But during the last couple of days, I have been thinking about this incident all the time. I'm having trouble sleeping. I think this is happening because my subconscious mind is going through an insecurity complex. I am not sure how if there's any better way to deal with such issues if it happens again in the future. And that's why I'm feeling insecure and I can't concentrate on my work now. 

Let me tell you about the incident in brief. (I exchanged all messages with this client via Upwork. So Upwork support agents are free to check my profile to verify the authenticity of my statements.) A client was having an HTTP error 500 on his website. The issue was pretty complex and was happening in an irregular manner. He was working with a web developer. Maybe he couldn't fix it. The client blamed him in an inappropriate manner during the chat. But even then I didn't suspect what's going to happen to me next. Since it's a troubleshooting issue I wasn't exactly sure how much time I would need to fix this. But he was insisting about the timeframe and I said 5-6 approx. Since he was so sensitive about hours, I gave him a fixed price estimate as well. My proposed rate was $150 but he told me that he can restart his server in minutes and fix this problem. So he decided not to hire me. I said good luck to him and politely ended the conversion.
But later he came back and told me that he would give me $125. I agreed to do the job for him as I already spent some time reviewing his server setup. 
Since I already checked his server setup and also I would say luck favored me I could solve the HTTP error in 3 hours time. Additionally, he thought his site would be super slow again. So he demanded I need to do the speed optimization within this budget, I refused to do this within this budget initially and he agreed as well. But since I could able to fix the HTTP error faster than I anticipated, I spent some time making his site load faster. He checked everything and confirmed that all problems were solved. 

And then all of a sudden he started to abuse me very badly. He called me garbage, snake, and *other obscene words. He felt that my charge was high. He felt I extorted money from him. Now as a freelancer I will be honest with you guys. Yes, I do freelancing so that I can earn money. I spent thousands of hours over the last few years developing my skill set. He couldn't find anyone else who could solve the problem for less. So he came to me and accepted his offer on the terms he set for me ($125) even though my proposed rate was higher than that. 

He gave me 1-star feedback obviously. I was thinking I would simply refund him so that the negative feedback doesn't appear in my profile. But later I realized it could be a trap. Maybe he is just trying to misuse the feedback system here. He might be using the bad feedback to create pressure on me so that I refund. I am thinking like this because he mentioned about one-star feedback in one of his comments. 

As I previously said I thought I could move on. That's why I didn't contact Upwork immediately. But now I feel really insecure. The more I think about this client the more I feel that he just insulted my work, my freelancing lifestyle. And I believe anyone who sells services to earn livelihood will feel discouraged after hearing about this incident. 
I strongly believe the client is misusing the feedback system here. He gave me 1-star in all departments but in his feedback comment, he mentioned that I know what I am doing and I solved all of the issues. Now if I could solve everything... how do I deserve 1-star in skills and quality departments? This is one of the reasons I am posting here: Can Upwork team investigate the matter for me? 
Another reason is: I really need some mental support from the freelance community. Please, guys, say something to boost my self-confidence. I'm feeling down. I'm not sure if my ethnicity acted like a catalyst here. I simply don't get why someone would use such strong abusive words to another human being. Just to save a few dollars? 

17 REPLIES 17
yitwail
Community Member

Sayfur, based on what you wrote and not what the client wrote in his review, you’re the victim of a vindictive client. If you were as shady as the client claims, you could have waited for hours before fixing his site, to make yourself look good, but instead you fixed it ASAP as a professional should. Hopefully support will examine the chat messages and rule in your favor by excluding the feedback from your 100% JSS. 

Based on your account, you did nothing wrong.  The biggest red flag is that he didn't want to pay you for the work, and only came back to you after he discovered he couldn't do it himself or for cheaper. You didn't overcharge. Of course you're trying to make money. That's why you're in business. Don't take it personally; this was just a bad client. The thing to learn is that if someone is haggling over price too much or doesn't want to pay but comes back later because they can't do it themselves - they will probably leave a bad review or could very likely leave a bad review, because they are already upset they can't get the work for free. Good clients value work done well and quickly.  

Shake it off. This was just a bad client. You can refund if you want to get the review taken off. If you can afford  to lose the money, you might consider doing that. A 1 star review probably looks worse than the hit your JSS will take from a no earnings contract.  Just my two cents. 

If the client used obscenities and called you names, he should definitely be reported and banned from the platform. You should report him, if you haven't already.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Md. Sayfur,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the client. I was able to locate the inappropriate messages and I'll escalate this report to the correct team for their review. Appropriate action will be taken according to our internal processes. 

Please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

What a terrible client! I fix 500 errors all the time and know it can as little as a few minutes and up to dozens of hours to fix depending on what is causing the error. It's like asking a doctor how long until they fix their back pain without knowing what is causing the back pain. Based on what you said he provided no error log either. If he wanted to get charged for the time, he should have done an hourly contract. He agreed on the $125 price, end of story.

My advice would be to avoid fixed pricing in the future unless you know exactly how many hours a contract will take. Since a 500 error can be caused by so many things, its really hard to give a number of hours it may take. Doing this might help you avoid these kinds of situations.

I definitely wouldn't refund him because it just teaches him he can continue doing this kind of behavior with other freelancers. If anything I would have refunded him a portion if he asked nicely, but his behavior is completely unnaceptable. I would move on, you have many good reviews, clients will see your other reviews and your portfolio when deciding to hire. Once you are top rated, you can simply get rid of his feedback.

sa-rahman
Community Member

Hi Bojan, thanks for responding. Apparently, Upwork has taken action against the client. One day after posting here, the client emailed me. I guess he collected email address from my portfolio website. He did not show any remorse. Just warned me that he is aware of my actions. I didn't respond to him as it goes against the Upwork policy.
Now, to be honest, this is not the solution that I was looking for. I understand that violation of the terms may result in Upwork action against the client. But I mainly wanted my JSS score not to be ruined by the client as he clearly violated the feedback related terms here. The client wanted to use Upwork's feedback system in a way that was not intended.
But now, by doing so, he has become successful in ruining my JSS completely. It has come down from 100% to 88%. I don't think I can attract any good clients with current JSS. With so many WordPress developers on Upwork (with higher JSS than me), I don't think anyone would hire me unless there's any special reason.
So, can you please have a look into the matter and/or forward it to the appropriate department? Please let me know if there's anything that I can do to save my JSS. Otherwise, I believe my Upwork career is gonna come to an end. Will be looking forward to your reply.

Sayfur

Hi Sayfur,

Your client's record of feedback is taken into consideration when weighing their interactions in your score. I would also like to clarify that there are many factors that go into your JSS calculation including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, pattern of contracts without feedback, etc. To learn more details about your Job success score and why it has changed check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
66ecf5bc
Community Member

Hi MD Saifur R,

I am sorry to hear about the bad customer you came across. You should not be panic.  Remember, the money-minded clients are not professional at all and they don't value the work and time the sellers spend to finish their task. 

The Upwork team will surely check the chatbox and on account of the abusive language he used, he might be expelled out from the platform. 

Just keep up your confidence thinking that you are a worthy seller that's why the company allowed you to be here. Forget this incident altogether and work further smoothly.

Best of luck.

Thanks.

Naheedmir

https://www.coupongot.com/
petra_r
Community Member

Naheed M wrote:

Best of luck.

Thanks.

Naheedmir

You need to stop responding with utter nonsense. What, exactly, is your purpose?

lysis10
Community Member

Normally, I roll my eyes at these posts but jeez that client. He's mad because he thinks you fixed his complex problem in just an hour for $125 flat rate. lol What a loser.

OP, this guy sounds like a git. In his rant, he actually makes you sound good. You took his complex problem and fixed it in an hour and he's mad about it. lol What that idiot doesn't realize is that this is the risk of flat rate. Clients want flat rate so they don't get *overcharged* but don't think about what happens when it takes the freelancer less time...that's the risk they take. They want us to take all the risk of scope creep and working over the allotted time, but when it works out in our favor, they get mad? 🤣🤣🤣

Jennifer M wrote:

They want us to take all the risk of scope creep and working over the allotted time, but when it works out in our favor, they get mad? 

x1,000,000.

sjbercot
Community Member

I'm sorry this happened to you.  I think many reasonable clients that see that review will be able to read between the lines. Like was mentioned earlier, reasonable clients are happy when a job is done quickly and well, and do not get angry when they've paid for a solution and gotten one. Don't let this terrible client get you down. Are you eligible to use the top-rated perk to remove the review? 

Sarah B wrote:

I'm sorry this happened to you.  I think many reasonable clients that see that review will be able to read between the lines. Like was mentioned earlier, reasonable clients are happy when a job is done quickly and well, and do not get angry when they've paid for a solution and gotten one. Don't let this terrible client get you down. Are you eligible to use the top-rated perk to remove the review? 

In reading the two reviews (+ some other bad reviews he has) it's clear he is the problem. I'll be interested to see how Upwork proceeds, I hate that you have a 1 star, but I think your exchange with the client should be kept online to warn other freelancers.

To echo everyone else, YOU DID NOTHING WRONG, in his mind the guy wanted to pay $30.....not your problem.  

Miriam H wrote:

Sarah B wrote:

In reading the two reviews (+ some other bad reviews he has) it's clear he is the problem. I'll be interested to see how Upwork proceeds, I hate that you have a 1 star, but I think your exchange with the client should be kept online to warn other freelancers.

To echo everyone else, YOU DID NOTHING WRONG, in his mind the guy wanted to pay $30.....not your problem.  

Wow, I just looked at the client's reviews too, and you are right, this client has a pattern of asking for free work and using foul language to berate freelancers (from what the reviews say).  Upwork needs to ban this client from the platform. 

lysis10
Community Member

Amanda L wrote:

Wow, I just looked at the client's reviews too, and you are right, this client has a pattern of asking for free work and using foul language to berate freelancers (from what the reviews say).  Upwork needs to ban this client from the platform. 

lol I did too and wow! I guess it's a lesson in clicking "View More" on feedback. ouch

sa-rahman
Community Member

Thank you everyone for all the kind and thoughtful words. Much appreciated. I hope Upwork support will take action soon and come up with a reasonable solution to the problem.

And just to clear things up for some of you, I offered a fixed price budget to the client only when the client started to bargain too much about the hours. He told me if I'm an expert why should I take 5-6 hours to solve this? He was pretending to be a know-it-all guy. But the irony is he was looking for an expert to solve his problem but was not ready to pay higher fees. So, I proposed a fixed price instead to avoid further bargaining down the line. If it took more than 6 hours to fix this problem, was he ready to pay for the extra hours? No, he wasn't.

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. The word calling, accusations of overcharging, demanding a refund for work already done and approved for an agreed-on fixed price. I did not refund his money. I'm not willing to play their games so they can get free work. My JSS came down from 100% to 95% and I no longer get hired. The JSS gives clients way too much power if you ask me. They can ruin your business. I hope Upwork will get rid of it. You can have feedback removed though if you know who gave bad feedback to you. You just have to hope you won't get two of those in a row, because you only can get feedback removed within a given timeframe.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members