🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I feel very unfair working for free with a cl...
Page options
codeted
Community Member

I feel very unfair working for free with a client.

Right now I have two projects with a client and the first fixed project is already ended with no reviews.

The second project started hourly because I felt like the client was asking too much in the fixed project.

Now my client is asking extra work on an hourly project with limitation of time. 

I feel like I will get bad reviews if I don't do it. He/She never left me any feedback for the past project. 

I don't know what to do now....should I just do it? or do i need to explain that asking free to work on upwork is against ToS?

4 REPLIES 4
elyannie
Community Member

You are correct, asking for free work is against TOS and perhaps you might need to politely remind your client to allow you to log time again if they would like you to continue working on their project.

codeted
Community Member

I asked the client nicely adding extra hr but She/He refused.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Min:
This client needs you a lot more than you need him.

This client is one you should NEVER work with using a fixed-price contract. He does not understand or respect fixed-price contracts. You did the right thing to move to an hourly contract.

What should you do?
You should do the very best job that you can on this project. But ONLY work while you are able to bill time.

If the client asks you to work for free (work without logging time) then the client is violating a serious Upwork rule. Upwork ToS prohibits clients from asking freelancers to work for free.

You may tell the client:

"Peter, thank you for notes about the next task. I agree that will be an important addition to the project. My allowed time is used up for this week. I will begin work on that task on Monday. Upwork has strict rules about this and I wouldn't want either of us to get into any trouble with the platform. If you have questions about how any of this works, you may ask questions in the helpful form here: community.upwork.com"

Thanks for your advice and I will definitely try that. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths