cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I felt like I got scammed...

jgross4573
Julie G Member Since: Feb 11, 2017
1 of 20
I felt like I got scammed from my job on Upwork. I don't want to use this site for freelance work. It's my first time using it and my experience has been awful! I didn't get paid for my work. My client I was working for was extremely rude to me and said he sent me $10 but never got it. I felt like he took advantage of me since I didn't know how Upwork worked and offered me help but changed his mind later on. I am just beyond frustrated.
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 20

re: "I felt like I got scammed from my job on Upwork"

You might be right. You might be wrong. Your profile page says you completed a project and you were paid $10 for it.

re: "I don't want to use this site for freelance work."

That is understandable. Fortunately, it is completely your choice.

re: "It's my first time using it and my experience has been awful! I didn't get paid for my work."

Yeah, that happens a lot with newbies when they jump in without reading or following the directions. Don't take it personally. I don't know if that is what happened to you. You might be so new that you were paid and don't even realize you were paid.

re: "My client I was working for was extremely rude to me"

There is absolutely no excuse for rudeness on this platform. Your client's behavior was unacceptable and you may report him if you wish to do so.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 20

re: "and said he sent me $10 but never got it."

I always get paid for the work I do on Upwork. I know how to use the platform properly. It's actually one of the safest places to earn money online if you know about 3 basic rules.

If you want to tell us about your situation in more detail, we could explain to you what mistakes you made so that you don't make those same mistakes again.

I can tell you right now that your profile page says you were recently paid $10 for a project in which you shaerd comments and posts on a coffee blog.

I am not yet convinced that the client you worked with did anything wrong. Are we certain his "rudeness" wasn't simply frustration stemming from paying a freelancer and her now knowing how Upwork functions, and thus not realizing that she was paid?

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 20

look at the bright side, it's a cheap lesson. 10 bucks is not so bad. There are chicks getting pwnd for thousands from the check scam on here.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 20

Since your profile says that you were paid, can you tell us why you think that you weren't?

Does your "Reports" page not show that a payment was released?

Did you not get a message saying that the milestone was approved?

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
6 of 20

Are you referring to the job that your profile says you were paid for? If so... There is a short security delay between when the client pays and when you receive it. I think it is five days, but hourly and fixed rate projects work a little differently in this way. You can see the status of your money in the "reports" section as mentioned. I usually look at that section every day, so I know when money is available for me to withdraw to my bank account. Did you withdraw the money yet? I have not yet had any issues getting paid.

Where new users run into trouble is when they work without an Upwork contract or accept payment offsite. Usually, the Upwork "clients" who offer to pay offsite are scammers pretending to be clients. Staying away from those fake clients solve the majority of the payment issues newer freelancers face.

Oh... I don't know the details of the job you took. but one thing I have noticed is that many clients who offer very low wages have high expectations in comparison to what they pay. It is rarely worth working for less than minimum wage and taking too many jobs like this can make it harder to find better-paying work later. Many of the reports of rudeness from clients come from freelancers who took very low paying work. I have only started Freelancing in the late Spring/early Summer so I do remember being new. I know the first few jobs can be a challenge. I stuck mostly with fixed rate jobs where the client had a history of leaving fair or positive feedback for other freelancers. 

jgross4573
7 of 20
How do I report him?
jgross4573
8 of 20
I linked my payment to paypal and I never got a notification it showed up in my paypal account.
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 20

It won't show up automatically unless you wait out the holding period and then wait until your next regularly scheduled transfer date. Most people watch the "reports" page and manually transfer money when it becomes available.

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
10 of 20

What does it say in your "Reports" tab? Do you have any pending payments waiting?

@Julie G wrote:
I linked my payment to paypal and I never got a notification it showed up in my paypal account.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS