Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I felt like I got scammed...

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
11 of 20

@Julie G wrote:
I linked my payment to paypal and I never got a notification it showed up in my paypal account.

You actually need to withdraw the money from Upwork to your Paypal account. I think there is a fee, I set mind up to deposit into my checking account because there was not a fee for my location (I think the fees vary by country). There is a way to set it up to automatically transfer your earnings to your bank or Paypal account, but I believe it waits until you have earned $100. For a $10 earnings... I would honestly wait unless you want to link Upwork to a checking account. After the 20% Upwork commission, you earned $8 and it costs something to withdraw the money to Paypal. At least when I looked at those numbers, I felt a Paypal withdrawal is only worthwhile for larger payments, so I would wait until you have also earnings from another job ready for such a small amount. Since I linked it to a bank account, I usually manually withdraw any amount as soon as I see it is available for no added fee. 

jgross4573
Julie G Member Since: Feb 11, 2017
12 of 20
Thank you very much Samantha! Your reply was really helpful!
jgross4573
Julie G Member Since: Feb 11, 2017
13 of 20
Ok, thank you Samantha
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 20

Julie lives in Denver... so she can easily withdraw her money to a bank account, which involves zero fees.

Or she can withdraw to PayPal, and pay some fees.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 20

PayPal is faster if she needs the money right away.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
16 of 20

@Preston H wrote:

Julie lives in Denver... so she can easily withdraw her money to a bank account, which involves zero fees.

Or she can withdraw to PayPal, and pay some fees.

The "fees" are $1 per transfer, regardless of the dollar amount involved. Since a bank transfer may take 2-4 business days and how long it will take is an unknown until you've made a few transfers, it's easy to see why some freelancers, especially those who are newer here or need quick turnaround on payments, find it worth $1.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 20

re: "The fees are $1 per transfer..."

I absolutely agree that withdrawing to PayPal may be an option some U.S.-based freelancers choose. I'm not belittling that choice.

Don't forget that apart from Upwork transfer fees, there are fees associated with using PayPal.

For example, if you have money in a PayPal account, there is a percentage fee associated with withdrawing that money to a bank account (2.9% + 0.30 per transaction).

A complete list of PayPal fees is here:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Below is an excerpt. Much more information is on the page:

fees.png

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
18 of 20

@Preston H wrote:

re: "The fees are $1 per transfer..."

I absolutely agree that withdrawing to PayPal may be an option some U.S.-based freelancers choose. I'm not belittling that choice.

Don't forget that apart from Upwork transfer fees, there are fees associated with using PayPal.

For example, if you have money in a PayPal account, there is a percentage fee associated with withdrawing that money to a bank account (2.9% + 0.30 per transaction).

A complete list of PayPal fees is here:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

That's just not accurate. I have conducted at least $100,000 in business through PayPal, and I've never incurred a fee for withdrawing money to my bank account. It's usually not necessary to do so, since most regular PayPal users have debit cards attached to their PayPal accounts (with cash back for transactions processed as credit), but should you need to do so, it's free. 

The fee that you quote above is essentially PayPal's merchant fee--for example, if I receive a payment from a client via PayPal and that client does not have an enterprise account that allows for the flat $1 fee as Upwork does, I would pay that fee, much as I would pay a credit card processing fee if I were accepting the credit card directly.

carlyannl
Ace Contributor
Carly L Member Since: Nov 21, 2016
19 of 20

Moving forward, Julie, you will have more luck finding high-quality writing jobs if you put a bit more effort into your writing.  Your profile has quite a few capitalization errors and a lot of strange phrasing that suggests you're not actually a native or bilingual English speaker (like "I gained many different skills in any program from Adobe creative suites").  If I were a client, I would be very reluctant to hire you for writing work.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
20 of 20

Hi Julie,

I'm sorry about the outcome of your first contract. I can see there was an issue on your Hourly contract and additionally no time was logged on it. I see you communicated with your client regarding the problems you encountered and they did issue a payment, which you can find on your Reports overview page under the Pending tab.

I'd strongly advise you to review these resources in order to understand how Hourly and Fixed-Price contracts work, along with other Upwork processes. Please note that all the payments need to be processed through Upwork, afterwhich you can withdraw your earnings to a payment method of choice.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS