🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I finally became top-rated but ever since, it...
Page options
cebe4768
Community Member

I finally became top-rated but ever since, it is as if clients are averse to me

I finally became top-rated last week and ever since I became top rated many of my stats have taken a dive. 

I used to have a 100% JSS but that dropped to 91% since many of the clients I have closed contracts with have  not given feedback. I know of one client which I failed to complete his project as he wanted it, but I admitted that I failed his project and reported the job as unsuccessful on upwork.

 

On the other hand, since I became top-rated, my JSS has dropped to 91% but I have read many forums and it seems as long as it is above 75% it should be good to go. 

 

However, since these two events occurred the following changed.

I used to get 1 - 2 invites a day, I have gotten 1 invite only since last week, and its from someone with no upwork experience. 

I used to get about 3-4 responses per 10 proposals, but now, I have sent in more than 30 and got only 2 responses that did not lead to any offer (BTW, I only apply to jobs that 100% match my skills, so I do not over reach in other words)

My views dropped from 12 to 2. 

 

I do not know what I am doing wrong because I have always given my best since joining this platform (about 5 months ago) and I look forward to leaving my full-time job and becoming a full-time freelancer. This quiet period, does not give me the confidence I need to be able to leave my job in the near future.

 

But ever since last week, the platform has been so quiet with no interviews, invites, jobs or anything. My current clients are so quiet, I hear nothing from them. 

 

It is simply weird. 

 

I guess its just a phase but if anyone can see anything wrong, I welcome the feedback. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member


Keenan L wrote:

I used to have a 100% JSS but that dropped to 91% since many of the clients I have closed contracts with have  not given feedback.


Contracts that close without feedback do not affect the JSS at all.

 


Keenan L wrote:

I know of one client which I failed to complete his project as he wanted it, but I admitted that I failed his project and reported the job as unsuccessful on upwork. 


And the private feedback from that contract is the or one of the contract(s) that affected your JSS, not the "No feedback" contracts

 

No, as long a it is above 90% you're OK...

 


Keenan L wrote:

My views dropped from 12 to 2. . 


Profile views are ONLY views that result from searches, NOT views from proposals. As visibility in search results is rotated, it is normal for this to fluctuate.

 


Keenan L wrote:

I look forward to leaving my full-time job and becoming a full-time freelancer. This quiet period, does not give me the confidence I need to be able to leave my job in the near future. 


You're a long way away from being able to safely give up your day job...

 


Keenan L wrote:

I guess its just a phase


It's just a phase, plus it was Thanksgiving / Black Friday weekend in the USA, where most clients are from, which is always a quiet week as people have other things on their minds (eating and shopping).

 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
martina_plaschka
Community Member


Keenan L wrote:

I finally became top-rated last week and ever since I became top rated many of my stats have taken a dive. 

I used to have a 100% JSS but that dropped to 91% since many of the clients I have closed contracts with have  not given feedback. I know of one client which I failed to complete his project as he wanted it, but I admitted that I failed his project and reported the job as unsuccessful on upwork.

 

On the other hand, since I became top-rated, my JSS has dropped to 91% but I have read many forums and it seems as long as it is above 75% it should be good to go. 

 

However, since these two events occurred the following changed.

I used to get 1 - 2 invites a day, I have gotten 1 invite only since last week, and its from someone with no upwork experience. 

I used to get about 3-4 responses per 10 proposals, but now, I have sent in more than 30 and got only 2 responses that did not lead to any offer (BTW, I only apply to jobs that 100% match my skills, so I do not over reach in other words)

My views dropped from 12 to 2. 

 

I do not know what I am doing wrong because I have always given my best since joining this platform (about 5 months ago) and I look forward to leaving my full-time job and becoming a full-time freelancer. This quiet period, does not give me the confidence I need to be able to leave my job in the near future.

 

But ever since last week, the platform has been so quiet with no interviews, invites, jobs or anything. My current clients are so quiet, I hear nothing from them. 

 

It is simply weird. 

 

I guess its just a phase but if anyone can see anything wrong, I welcome the feedback. 


There could be a number of reasons. First, the algorithm changes the search results a client will get. 

Second, clients could have a higher expectation for the quality of your work when you are top rated, and that expectation is not being met. Some might stay away because they equal top rated with higher rate. Did you change your rate since?

So yes, being top rated can work against you in those circumstances. 

I pushed my rate from $20 to $50. I saw that did not work. 

 

I brought it right back to $20. 

 

I put it up to $30. 

 

I am back on $20 again. 

 

Honestly, I feel I deliver $60+ value to my clients because I am highly skilled in Excel and data analysis, however, I struggle to set a rate that 'Attracts' Clients. 

 

I think its possible that clients see I am from South Africa and then they are like $50 for that, no ways!

 

$20 I guess is fine for me, however, it is just fine. it beats my fulltime job rate but it does not give me the space to quit my job either.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Finally, it could be just your own perception. You expected more clients, higher pay, maybe increased your rate, when being top rated. There is really no good reason to expect being top rated to change anything. Many people have described similar experiences as you have. I think people expect being top rated to make a huge difference. I don't believe that to be true at all. 

You are right. 

 

I expected all of that and I did my best to get here for those reasons. 

 

I quickly re-adjusted my expectations after discovering my reality, but even after adjusting my expectations, I think the algorithm through me onto mars because I have applied myself as best as possible to many jobs and it is almost as if my proposal does not even reach the client.


Keenan L wrote:

You are right. 

 

I expected all of that and I did my best to get here for those reasons. 

 

I quickly re-adjusted my expectations after discovering my reality, but even after adjusting my expectations, I think the algorithm through me onto mars because I have applied myself as best as possible to many jobs and it is almost as if my proposal does not even reach the client.


Yeah people think that being top rated is a free license to increase their rate. From a potential clients view, nothing has really changed on your profile, so why should he pay more? 

Don't fiddle around with your rate too much. Think of it as gradually increasing, not more than once a year. Always work for your profile rate, not more, not less. That's one of the secrets to building a convincing profile. 

As of now, your rate is fluctuating wildly, not a good look. Stop doing that. Another secret too late for you: at the start, when you are getting your first jobs and are not sure how much to charge, do fixed price only. No reason for anybody to see the low hourly rate you accepted. 

Stellar advice Martina. 

 

I have taken it and I will apply this consistently going forward.

petra_r
Community Member


Keenan L wrote:

I used to have a 100% JSS but that dropped to 91% since many of the clients I have closed contracts with have  not given feedback.


Contracts that close without feedback do not affect the JSS at all.

 


Keenan L wrote:

I know of one client which I failed to complete his project as he wanted it, but I admitted that I failed his project and reported the job as unsuccessful on upwork. 


And the private feedback from that contract is the or one of the contract(s) that affected your JSS, not the "No feedback" contracts

 

No, as long a it is above 90% you're OK...

 


Keenan L wrote:

My views dropped from 12 to 2. . 


Profile views are ONLY views that result from searches, NOT views from proposals. As visibility in search results is rotated, it is normal for this to fluctuate.

 


Keenan L wrote:

I look forward to leaving my full-time job and becoming a full-time freelancer. This quiet period, does not give me the confidence I need to be able to leave my job in the near future. 


You're a long way away from being able to safely give up your day job...

 


Keenan L wrote:

I guess its just a phase


It's just a phase, plus it was Thanksgiving / Black Friday weekend in the USA, where most clients are from, which is always a quiet week as people have other things on their minds (eating and shopping).

 

cebe4768
Community Member

Thank you for your response. 

 

I hope it is just phase because I really love working on the platform but when it gets so quiet I get worried. 

 

Wanted to hear from others if this is normal or not

ashrafkhan81
Community Member

About the Invites:

- At times I have a spurt of invites and suddenly when I am busy with projects the flow of invites dies down.  From what I understand by reading the community forum and my own experience. When you actively keep sending proposals that tell the algorithm that you are actively looking for work and your profile is shown more often to clients searching for FLs in your specialty and hence more chances of receiving invitations. The moment you are busy with projects and don't send proposals as often your profile may not be shown so fewer or no invitations!

 

About TR Eligibility:

You need to maintain 90% JSS, not 75%, you are at 91%, so one wrong contract outcome and you may lose the TR badge! 

 

About no Feedback: 

It seems to me that you are closing the contracts yourself, if you do that clients are very unlikely to leave a rating and feedback. You should request the clients to close the contract, that way most clients end up giving you feedback and rating. 

 

Best of Luck! 

Thank you Ashraf,

 

My problem with closing contracts is that many of the clients I have worked with just keep the contract open when work has been completed for long periods of time. 

 

It then hinders me when I submit proposals but I have, for instance, 10 ongoing jobs. I usually send a client a message 1 day before I close the contract and then they will either respond with no problem, I can close it or they simply do not respond. 

 

I have also noticed many of the clients I have worked for, need one time jobs and then after I have done a job for them, they go offline for months and then perhaps resurface after 1 or 2 months. So I think that is also a reason why they don't really worry about reviewing my work because if I could share actual reviews I get in the messages I have with my clients, then I would have a better record I guess. 

 

Thank you for your advice though.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths