🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » I finished a job of building a site to custom...
Page options
pressingtrade
Community Member

I finished a job of building a site to customers standards but they won't pay!

I finished a Shopify job I spent more than the time I should have, making back and forth changes because the customer changed their mind a lot. The site looks like they want it but I got stiffed. They didn't pay! I spent 14 hours on it for $0. What do I do?

15 REPLIES 15
mtngigi
Community Member

Were you actually hired for this job? Does it show up under "my jobs"?

If so, and you worked properly with funded escrow for fixed rate, and time-tracking for hourly, you will get paid. If you didn't have a contract and worked for free, there's nothing to do ... except perhaps read up on how things work before doing anything else.

petra_r
Community Member

"Where is my money?""Where is my money?"

Upwork made it seem like I was hired. When I hovered over the verified payment tab I thought that was for me. That is the main problem. This system seems to invite scammers at the expense of developers.  I wonder how many other people fell for this. This users currently is scamming 10 other people that I can see. He has a 5 star rating. This is antitrust in my opinion. There is no documentation or training on how a job is accepted and there are misleading statistics all over the place for this client. Yet Upwork benefits. 

Your proposed terms:
Bid/Budget:
$200.00
($250.00 charged to client)
Propose Different Terms
Withdraw Proposal | Archive
About the Client

(5.00) 1 review
United States
macedon 04:11 PM
9 Jobs Posted
$1,190 Total Spent
2 Open Jobs
2 Hires
Activity for this job

20 to 50 proposals 

10 interviews

Look at all those people that are most likely thinking the job has been accepted because at the very top it makes it seem like the terms are set. This is manipulative. This is more stressful than getting Serverly flood by hurricane Harvey! I am in a disaster zone and got totaly screwed by this manipulate system.  So you say read up on how the payment system works. How do I even find that documentation? 

@Geoffrey W wrote:

1) Upwork made it seem like I was hired.

2) Yet Upwork benefits. 

1) I can not see how you would think you're hired without an offer or a contract.

2)  How the heck does "Upwork benefit" when nothing is paid?

@Geoffrey W wrote:

Upwork made it seem like I was hired. When I hovered over the verified payment tab I thought that was for me. That is the main problem. This system seems to invite scammers at the expense of developers.  I wonder how many other people fell for this. This users currently is scamming 10 other people that I can see. He has a 5 star rating. This is antitrust in my opinion. There is no documentation or training on how a job is accepted and there are misleading statistics all over the place for this client. Yet Upwork benefits. 

Your proposed terms:
Bid/Budget:
$200.00
Propose Different Terms
Withdraw Proposal | Archive
About the Client

(5.00) 1 review
United States
macedon 04:11 PM
9 Jobs Posted
$1,190 Total Spent
2 Open Jobs
2 Hires
Activity for this job

20 to 50 proposals 

10 interviews

Look at all those people that are most likely thinking the job has been accepted because at the very top it makes it seem like the terms are set. This is manipulative. This is more stressful than getting Serverly flood by hurricane Harvey! I am in a disaster zone and got totaly screwed by this manipulate system.  So you say read up on how the payment system works. How do I even find that documentation? 

There is plenty of information and videos for how to work safely on this site. I'm guessing you, and all those other people, did not take the time to read all the plentiful and available information that is easily found with minimal effort.

There is nothing manipulative going on here. How do you find it? Look at your profile page, and all the options at the top of that page. That little question mark means HELP. Click on it. There are also plenty of forum postings by Upwork mods about getting started. See all those heading at the top of this page?

Upwork is not to blame for people who can't be bothered to educate themselves.

Wow just wow... I figured y'all would attack me. I showed you what I saw making it seems I was hired. DId you even read what I just went through? Instead of being nice and helpful you both are being rude and didn't even read what I said. There are no indications and there is no literature showing how the system works. I hope you guys enjoy condescending newcomers that get screwed.  What a helpful forum. No links to what I asked for, just the answer "go find it yourself".  Cool thanks! Bye. Not using this network full of rude "helper" and scammers. Thanks for pointing out the "easy to find documentation". Do you want to see how much crap is in this network? Type in Wix and see all the featured jobs that are about customizing Wix. YOU CAN'T CUSTOMIZE WIX. Hope your girls have a lovely day.  No need to reply with condescending remarks. Oh and self-taught? Don't you notice I am a developer?  Thanks for the lovely remarks...

Replying for the benefit of others who might read this thread, here's a handy list of links to materials all newbies should read.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

You can also find this information very easily by looking at the header of any page on the Community, hovering your mouse over "Community Discussions," and clicking "New to Upwork." Easy peasy.

You can also visit the Help Center at https://support.upwork.com/

Don't apply for jobs until you know what you're doing. Pretty simple rule of thumb.

@Geoffrey W wrote:

There are no indications and there is no literature showing how the system works. 

I agree. Nothing. Zero documentation.

Well, that's if you exclude the help section and the very first post that is pinned on the New to Upwork forum section. But if you exclude all this learning material, what is left is no documentation at all.

So yeah, I totally agree with you. And people here are so mean.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

My original message was about how I thought my bid was charged to the client. It makes it seem like the job was accepted. This was my first job so seeing this message on the clients chat with me made it seem like the job was accepted. Here is what it shows on the top right corner of the client's proposal: 

Your proposed terms:

Bid/Budget:
$200.00

Notice it states "$250 charged to the client". So yet it was my fault for not click on "My Job", but I thought the funds were locked in and the work was good to go, so I didn't. Everyone keeps misread my original message. Now if right next to that statement above it states "after job is accepted" I would have originally never started the job until I figured out how it got accepted.  Just the line " ($250.00 charged to client) " made me believe $250 was charged to the client exactly how I copied and pasted it from the proposal. 

Everyone can say how easy it is to figure this out but can I say how easy it is to get confused when it states the client is charged?  That needs to be made clear that the client "will be" charged. Not "is".

@Geoffrey W wrote:

Everyone can say how easy it is to figure this out but can I say how easy it is to get confused when it states the client is charged?  That needs to be made clear that the client "will be" charged. Not "is".

The right approach, on my opinion, when discovering a professional freelancing platform, is to sit down and read all the help section and all the video and text learning material that it has, before starting to use the platform.

This way, you enter the play field perfectly educated about the rules of the game.

Another approach, which some people prefer, is to register and to start playing around with the thing, pressing the buttons and waiting to see what happens. It is a faster method. But often, it produces disgruntled users. And in Upwork's case, scammed users.

I think the first approach is more efficient, but you may have another opinion which I respect.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

@Geoffrey W wrote:

The right approach, on my opinion, when discovering a professional freelancing platform, is to sit down and read all the help section and all the video and text learning material that it has, before starting to use the platform.

This way, you enter the play field perfectly educated about the rules of the game.

Another approach, which some people prefer, is to register and to start playing around with the thing, pressing the buttons and waiting to see what happens. It is a faster method. But often, it produces disgruntled users. And in Upwork's case, scammed users.

I think the first approach is more efficient, but you may have another opinion which I respect.

I'm guessing that someone who doesn't even know how to find the help menus on a website probably shouldn't be trying to do online freelancing.

Notice it states "$250 charged to the client"

This is to give you an idea of how much your client will be paying with Upwork fees and how much do you get. You can't just assume that your proposal is being accepted at the moment you're writing it. 

@Geoffrey W wrote:

My original message was about how I thought my bid was charged to the client. It makes it seem like the job was accepted. This was my first job so seeing this message on the clients chat with me made it seem like the job was accepted. Here is what it shows on the top right corner of the client's proposal: 

Your proposed terms:

Bid/Budget:
$200.00

Notice it states "$250 charged to the client". So yet it was my fault for not click on "My Job", but I thought the funds were locked in and the work was good to go, so I didn't. Everyone keeps misread my original message. Now if right next to that statement above it states "after job is accepted" I would have originally never started the job until I figured out how it got accepted.  Just the line " ($250.00 charged to client) " made me believe $250 was charged to the client exactly how I copied and pasted it from the proposal. 

Notice it says "your proposed terms". Below that (I happen to know because I've been offered and accepted a few of these contracts), it gives you options to "propose different terms" or "withdraw" or "archive" the proposal. Nowhere does it indicate or even suggest that a contract is in place. If you taken the time to inform yourself about the basics of Upwork contracting, you would have accepted the offer, at which time the client would have set up one or more milestones for the project and deposited funds in escrow. Then, when you completed work against a milestone and submitted it to the client, he would have reviewed the work, communicated with you as necessary about revisions, and then approved it and you would have gotten paid.

Nobody here "enjoys condescending to newcomers." Everybody here sees the revolving door of newcomers stomping into the forum every week, indignant that there's no recourse for their own costly mistakes. A vast proportion of the mishaps result directly from people who can't be bothered learning how this platform works before jumping into it. I will say, this level of tantrum is kind of unusual. But then, I've only been here about a year and a half and I've only been paying regular attention to the forum since last summer.

People meet the right people at the right time. This is precisely why you met that client. With your attitude, I don't really think you're a better person.
Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Featured Topics
Learning Paths