cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I found out why my STATS are low, what now?

Community Guru
Natalia G Member Since: Jun 8, 2008
1 of 15

Hi,

First of all find attachment showing my stats, in this message.

I have been doing some investigating through my old contracts. I found that some of my very old contracts (from like 4-5 years ago) were never realised: I was hired, then ignored by the client. Then I had to close the contract  myself as CLIENT NOT RESPONSIVE, at the time....

But this HAS to be the reason why my stats are so low, otherwise there is no way (see other posts of mine explaining everything!)

So, I conclude that these old closed contracts affected my stats :

-Job success 78%, since I have had 70 contracts but around 5-6 of those were never even started (as far as I know 99% of the contracts that actually ended up in a legitimate job have been successfully fulfilled)

-Clients who would recommend you 65%. Of course, again, if some of these were never realised due to client failure to reply, these clients will count as people who would NOT recommend me.

I have all the messages proving I asked them a few times what was going one with no reply.

Is there any way I can have oDesk delete these, as I can prove it was due to clients failure to comply with a contract they set up themselves int he first place?

Odesk is so much work.... grrr

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 15

Natalia,

I had this discussion and was not answered on how they could add this into our overall scores, but jobs not completed for whatever reason are included.

I have a job when I first started that the guy never contacted me back after hiring. Odesk support themselves told me to close the contract. The second job was a few months ago and after I took the job which was doing reviews on products come to find out they wanted me to review a product without testing it which to me was falsifying information so I told them I could not do the job. This dropped my stats.

Here is the information on that.

"We consider all your oDesk jobs, whether or not work was performed. Jobs ending without receiving payment or with a full refund may be excluded from your profile history, but are still an important factor in calculating your Job Success Score. The goal is to capture a breadth of information not already reflected in a freelancer's star-rating or profile."

https://odesk.zendesk.com/entries/23103173

I myself do not think it is fair to add these into the metrics if it is beyond your control or something like a fishy job. I had no way of knowing as I was told it would be different products. I did not think that ask if I would get to test them as any time off of odesk in the past when I did product reviews I was given the product to test. I guess it is my fault for not asking before hired specific questions, but one is nervous enough talking to someone about a prospective job you can't think of everything.

Community Guru
William H Member Since: Dec 2, 2013
3 of 15

In a similar vein, I've been pondering what a client's responsabilities are on oDesk. IMO, a client is responsible for closing all jobs once completed. A client is responsible for being timely in their responses and payments. A client should be responsible for setting up a legit oDesk profile with payment method confirmed. A client should essentially be faced with the same responsibilities that we, as contractors, have, plus whatever normal "employer" responsibilities come in addition (such as ending contracts on completion). 

Since it seems that none of these responsibilities apply to clients, the burden falling to oDesk contractors to manage both their work and their employers, a burden that is unjust IMO, and should be rectified, unless, of course, oDesk itself wants to revert to clients being responsible for the 10% fee...

Here's a question - in the new 60/70 credit system, do employers have to pay for credits to post their jobs? I hope they do...it would reduce the number of crap jobs that appear on an hourly basis, and make our lives a whole lot nicer...

Community Guru
4 of 15

I 100% agree with you William,

Nothing else to add! Smiley Happy

Community Guru
5 of 15

Totally agree with you Suzanne,

It's not fair to be penalised for something out of your control and due to clients being flaky.

Below, in one of the messages I am told that my " contracts from 4-5 years ago are unlikely to have that detrimental an affect on your Job Success score"

Yet oDesk says "Jobs ending without receiving payment or with a full refund may be excluded from your profile history, but are still an important factor in calculating your Job Success Score."

I mean:

• do they have an effect on stats?
  • do they NOT have an effect on stats?
  • or are they unlikely to have an effect on stats?

I wanna cry! Smiley Sad

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
6 of 15

Hi Natalia,

We'll take a look at this, but contracts from 4-5 years ago are unlikely to have that detrimental an affect on your Job Success score. Additionally, we are not counting clients who didn't rate you in the "Clients who would recommend you" score. This is based on clients who actually rated you. I'll confirm that to be sure.

Community Guru
7 of 15

Thanks Garnor for your reply,

But... if you say it's probably not having an effect on my Stats, then could someone explain to me how I can have 78% Job success if:

I had 65 Actual jobs, and only one of them resulted in a bad review (last month). So around 64 out of 65 contracts resulted in POSITIVE feedback (4.5 or more, but mostly 5 stars), they were all closed as Job successfully completed. By my calculations that's a 98.4% JOB SUCCESS score. And my overall feedback score is 4.82/5, by my calculations that's a 96.4% score....

So if then what's affecting the stats is actually the not replying to job invitations that have nothing to do with my skills, then that's just ABSURD... (See attachment). Luckily I am not getting many invitations nowadays; I don't even get that anymore....

It's not my fault that clients can't be bothered to actually filter the freelancers, how many times do I have to tell people "Sorry I do not speak Mandarin, since I am a Spanish native translator" or "Sorry I am not a programmer, I am a translator" !!!???

THE NEW STATS DO NOT REFLECT MY LEVEL OF PROFESSIONALISM, MY LEVEL OF SKILL OR WHAT I HAVE ACTUALLY DONE FOR MY CLIENTS, IT'S MADE UP!

In addition, now:

• I don't see relevant job posts anymore, (I checked them logged out, there are lots, but when I log in, MAGIC! ----> they are all gone). 
  • I think my application is not being seen by clients, otherwise, with my level of expertise, it's just not possible that I am applying for 100 jobs and I don't even get one....
  • I don't even get declined anymore, just ignored

I mean really what's the point!

Community Leader
Lillian T Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 15

Natalia,

Hello! I have had a chance to check in with our Trust and Safety Team and get some clarification on a few things: 

• Job Success Score looks at recent jobs (past 2 years) and does not go as far back as 4-5 years. 
  • When a freelancer is proactive and cancels a job in a timely fashion, and before work begins due to a client being unresponsive, the cancellation of the job will not impact their Job Success Score.  
  • A Job Success Score will be negatively impacted if a clients ends a contract and reports a freelancer as not being responsive 

So what can you do now to lift your Job Success Score?

• Complete a few small jobs, so clients can provide you with good feedback. 
  • At the end of every contact, send your client a "thank you for working with me message”, that shows your gratitude for their business. This message can also remind the client that they have the opportunity to provide oDesk with feedback on your performance, but be aware this message cannot request a specific feedback rating.   
Untitled
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
9 of 15

Hi Lillian,

Could you please explain to me why I'm being asked to complete all of my open jobs, get client feedback and then I'll be able to apply for new roles?

One of the contracts I have is a rolling/on going contract. I don't want to close it, that's the whole point of freelancing. There's an assumption that all of my contracts are short term/one off jobs.

I'm here to secure contracts, keep them open as long as possible, earn money and then close them when it comes to a natural ending, not close them because of some illogical idea.

What if my client decides to use my services for years to come? I'll have to wait that long to have my account reinstated fully?

These ideas are just not logical.

Please don't refer me to customer support, because I'll just get a series of copy pasted answers. I'm looking to have my query addressed properly.

Thanks.

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
10 of 15

Hi Gillian,

Someone will follow up with you directly regarding your account. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS