🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: I got hired! Do I have to keep submitting...
Page options
luba-sigaud
Community Member

I got hired! Do I have to keep submitting proposals to stay active on Upwork?

Hi everyone!

The title says it all: I got a great long-term job through Upwork, but I seem to recall hearing that I have to keep submitting proposals to stay active. Is this just a question of losing connects, or do I risk having my account shut down or deprioritized if I don't submit proposals regularly anymore? I just received a 100% Job Success Score and a Top Rated status, and I don't want to lose those! 

Thank you so much!

Luba

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Your account won't get shut down or de-prioritized but if you go dormant, you could eventually forfeit what you've gained and have to start over. To maintain TR status, you have to maintain a JSS above 90 for 13 of the most recent 16 weeks. Your JSS reflects the highest of three calculations: contracts that closed in the past 6, 12 or 24 months. When enough contracts fall out of the calculation window, you'll lose your JSS. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Your account won't get shut down or de-prioritized but if you go dormant, you could eventually forfeit what you've gained and have to start over. To maintain TR status, you have to maintain a JSS above 90 for 13 of the most recent 16 weeks. Your JSS reflects the highest of three calculations: contracts that closed in the past 6, 12 or 24 months. When enough contracts fall out of the calculation window, you'll lose your JSS. 

Okay, so as long as I have at least one contract active and am receiving
regular payments through Upwork, I should be fine, right? Thanks so much
for your help!

Ludmila S wrote:
Okay, so as long as I have at least one contract active and am receiving
regular payments through Upwork, I should be fine, right? Thanks so much
for your help!

If your latest feedback was more than 24 months ago, your JSS will disappear. If you have only one long term contract, that might happen. 

tagrendy
Community Member

You want to have at least 1 project closed within 2 years to have an active JSS. If you have a long term lucrative project, you might even get Top Rated Plus. After which you can close & reopen the project with the same client, and not only that will update your JSS, it will be a rehire which improves your JSS.

Thanks for your help! How exactly would I close and reopen a project? And
does Upwork inform freelancers if they’re about to lose their JSS?

Technically, you can initiate contract closing, but can't initiate opening a new one (it has to come from your client). You should discuss both with your client prior to taking any action.

Okay, that’s helpful to know! Thank you so much for your time and
expertise; I really appreciate it!

Ludmila S wrote:
does Upwork inform freelancers if they’re about to lose their JSS?

No, since they don't know if it might happen. You might end a contract a second before the next JSS update takes place. 

You would ask the client to close the project & rehire, first because that will make sure he leaves a feedback for you, then also because he'd need to initiate another project with you. Most long-term clients are completely fine by this.

I don't think Upwork warns about loss of JSS before it happens.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths