🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I got hired by a client but he did not pay m...
Page options
yewandeajayi
Community Member

I got hired by a client but he did not pay me

Hi everyone,

I got hired on Upwork and I worked for the client 8hrs - 9hrs daily but I didn't get paid.

The client lied to me that he was processing the payment for days but he didn't pay me eventually.

I need to report him and his company on Upwork so people don't fall for his scam.

What do I do in this situation?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colettelewis
Community Member

Yewande A wrote:

Hi everyone,

I got hired on Upwork and I worked for the client 8hrs - 9hrs daily but I didn't get paid.

The client lied to me that he was processing the payment for days but he didn't pay me eventually.

I need to report him and his company on Upwork so people don't fall for his scam.

Yewand, 

Unless you had a formal Upwork contract in place, so that you get paid through the site, Upwork can't help you.  

What you do in this situation, is to follow Preston's advice and take a few hours to learn how to work on this type of job platform.  Read everything in the Terms of Service: https://www.upwork.com/legal#terms

and every help page in this thread:https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "What do I do in this situation?"

The important thing for you to do is to learn how to use Upwork properly.

If a freelancer uses Upwork properly, then a client can't just decide to "not pay" the feeelancer. Payment is automated.

Learn what you did wrong. Then don't make those same mistakes again in the future.

colettelewis
Community Member

Yewande A wrote:

Hi everyone,

Yewand, 

Unless you had a formal Upwork contract in place, so that you get paid through the site, Upwork can't help you.  

What you do in this situation, is to follow Preston's advice and take a few hours to learn how to work on this type of job platform.  Read everything in the Terms of Service: https://www.upwork.com/legal#terms

and every help page in this thread:https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

yewandeajayi
Community Member

I wanted to know if my client has paid me as claimed

re: "I wanted to know if my client has paid me as claimed"

The answer to your question is here:

Upwork -> Reports -> Overview

Please how I confirm that I have been paid

Confirmation of payment is here:

Upwork -> Reports -> Overview

And here:

Upwork -> Reports -> Transaction History

It says on your profile you worked 10 hours per 6 usd per hour. Is that the contract you are talking about? We can see that the client was billed for 60 usd. As Preston said, when you go to the Overview section, you should see around 48 usd on your account. 

Inform yourself a bit better about the rules if you want to be successful here.

If you have an hourly contract, all you need to do is use Upwork app to track your time and put memo on your time. You are automatically protected in that case.

yewandeajayi
Community Member

I wanted to know if my client has paid me as claimed

Yes. He paid you.

How do I confirm that please

re: "How do I confirm that please"

You just did.

You asked me to confirm it, and I confirmed it.

You can also look at your own profile page and see it. We can all see it. There is no way for a client to "fake" this. The only way for this information to appear on your public profile page is because the client really did pay you.

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 2.41.26 PM.png

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members