🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I got sacmmed!
Page options
8f8f3801
Community Member

I got sacmmed!

I got scammed in this way that my clinet asked me to work for him/her for an hour and done 25 ijmage segmantation for him/her, without contract.
The clinet said this is sample task before hiring, I am new so I started working, but later the clinet said we are not goin to hire you.
Task is pretty simple and everyone can do that, and clinet is interviewing thoudsands for freelancers at a time and getting work done in the name of sample task.
Although Upwork has already removed the job post and clinet has posted new job through which he interviewed almost 3k freelancer and hired less than 10.
Clinet is paying less than a dollar for an hour and budget is very low, that is the reason client has targeted country with poor HDI and posted job as location specific. i.e. Pakistan.
Why there is no any limit on clients?
Why clients are supported more than freelancers?
I am attaching screenshot as proof. (unable to attach more than one screenshot)
**Link of the client in messages
**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Muhammad Q wrote:

Fine! But what about a new freelancer who doesn't know and work without contract and client gets benefitted.
Why there is no proper restriction on such client to stop malpractice of forcing freelancer to do sample task before hiring??

There is a restriction - clients are not allowed to ask for free work, it says so in the ToS. But how is Upwork supposed to know about it if people just go ahead and do the work and don't report the client? If people stopped working for free, then clients would stop asking.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
varungs
Community Member

You didn't get scammed. You did free work for someone.

Obviously, Upwork can only protect you from any form of contractual malpractice if there is an actual contract involved. If there is no contract, they cannot, nor are they obligated to help with anything.

Going forward, don't work without a contract. It's Upwork tenet one.

8f8f3801
Community Member

Fine! But what about a new freelancer who doesn't know and work without contract and client gets benefitted.
Why there is no proper restriction on such client to stop malpractice of forcing freelancer to do sample task before hiring??

Muhammad Q wrote:

There is a restriction - clients are not allowed to ask for free work, it says so in the ToS. But how is Upwork supposed to know about it if people just go ahead and do the work and don't report the client? If people stopped working for free, then clients would stop asking.

Fine, Now I am reporting that client lets see what Upwork is going to do.
Thank you!

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Muhammad Q wrote:

I got scammed in this way that my clinet asked me to work for him/her for an hour and done 25 ijmage segmantation for him/her, without contract.
The clinet said this is sample task before hiring, I am new so I started working, but later the clinet said we are not goin to hire you.
Task is pretty simple and everyone can do that, and clinet is interviewing thoudsands for freelancers at a time and getting work done in the name of sample task.
Although Upwork has already removed the job post and clinet has posted new job through which he interviewed almost 3k freelancer and hired less than 10.
Clinet is paying less than a dollar for an hour and budget is very low, that is the reason client has targeted country with poor HDI and posted job as location specific. i.e. Pakistan.
Why there is no any limit on clients?
Why clients are supported more than freelancers?
I am attaching screenshot as proof. (unable to attach more than one screenshot)
**Link of the client in messages
**Edited for Community Guidelines**

There are limits, namely 3 USD per hour and 5 USD per fixed price contract. Now go and read the ToS from top to bottom. 

Muhammad Q:

Don't worry about this or take it personally.

Everybody makes mistakes when they are learning new things.

You did not know about how to use Upwork properly.  Now you know that you are not supposed to work without a contract. You have gained valuable knowledge.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members