cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got scammed for the first time in 4 years .

Highlighted
Minthant T Member Since: Nov 5, 2016
1 of 15

3 week ago, I found a research project to collect affiliate programs that meet some criteria and requirements .As I am being affliliate marketer and also web research is also my thing ,I applied to the project .The post also include that client expect to get 45-90 rows in the list. But I had no idea about it since I have no experience is his niches . The project was for $75 fixed and I got hired .
I worked about 15 hours and I could not find more than 30 programs within criteria , I believed there is no more left (except one or two by human error) . So I submited the file and asked him feedback to discuss about the result .
He replied me like trash with very bad words (not offensive) . I told him there is no more programs out there and explained him that his criteria are very tight and not possible to get more . He kept saying that he want his expectation . I was a little angry at the moment as he was asking me to make impossible thing so I challenged him to prove my work is **Edited for community guidelines** like he said, in order to prove that I asked him to show me 5 more programs that met his requirements ,I also promised him if he had to hire someone better than me , I will give refund and additional hire cost for that person . Next day, he accepted the challenge and gave me 1 more program and said he proved that my work is **Edited for community guidelines** and instantly asked a refund and closed the contract. I filed a dispute as he was not able to provide me 5 more programs. 
I got contacted by a mid-man from upwork, he asked me what happened so I answered everything , at this point I thought the mid-man is a judge to this case , but turned out he did not even use his brain and acted like a lawyer of client. He said if the client does not approve the work ,the fund should be released back to client. I also asked him the reason and to prove my work is not qualified .He said he can't solve this case and we have to use 3rd party solution and in order to do that client,me,and upwork have to pay fee of $180 . I cannot believe he expected me to pay $180 to get my own 75$ . 
Today, I got an email that the fund is released to client as no one pay the fee. 
How fair it is ?
*During that time ,the client had enough time to find 5 more program(as he was expecting even 90 programs) but he could not prove that . So I have to presume he knew I was right but still want his money back and scammed me.
Sorry for long story , I posted it because I want others' opinion .

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 15

Let's cut this down to the basics:

• You accepted a contract you did not know whether you could complete or not.
  • You failed to meet the  milestone you agreed to.
  • You argued with the client.
  • You disputed (No point disputing when you have not met the agreed deliverables for the milestone.)

The time to work out whether you can do a job is before you accept the contract, not afterwards, and once you accept it, you either do what you agreed to do or you don't get paid.

Which part are you complaining about?

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 15

Petra, I agree 100% but I'll just add that a generous client might have given him partial payment for finding 30 rather than 45-90. On the other hand, arguing with the client and daring him to do better is childish behavior. 

4 of 15

John K wrote:

Petra, I agree 100% but I'll just add that a generous client might have given him partial payment for finding 30 rather than 45-90. On the other hand, arguing with the client and daring him to do better is childish behavior. 

Agreed, but either way this went really wrong before it ever go to that stage. How can anyone accept a contract for "45 to 90" deliverables? How does that even make sense?

Highlighted
5 of 15

I did not care about money , I was just angry because he was using these words without any reason and upwork seems like on the side of client even though he could not prove that my work is disqualified.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
6 of 15

Minthant T wrote:

I did not care about money , I was just angry because he was using these words without any reason and upwork seems like on the side of client even though he could not prove that my work is disqualified.

You didn't get scammed. You lost your temper and got fired. 

Your Upwork account is to be used for conducting business--providing a service and making money. If you want to get into ego battles and argue, go back to hanging out on social media. If you get angry every time you don't like what a client says or does, you will not last on Upwork. 

Also, there are plenty of forum posts and a help section at Upwork that explain how disputes work. I suggest you read about the dispute process before you start another one. 

Highlighted
7 of 15

@Petra R.
You are funny same as the mid-man from upwork . 

You live in Vasto  , right ?  
For example,

I posted a job to list every boat to charter in Pescara, I expected to get 100-150 boats in the list and will pay 200$ . You see the job post , and interest and apply to it since you are a local to do it easily but not familiar with boat charter so you don't know how many boats out there to charter  
And you got hired . You spent 15 hours finding the whole area and only got 50 boats in the list there is no more boats to charter in Pescara and you know that . You submitted that list . I would say "your work is crap I expected to get at least 100 boats" .  You say "there is no more I can find because it is not existed" . I still do not agree, you say "you are expecting to get 100-150 boats in Pescara, if you still think there are more boats , prove that my work is not qualified , just by showing me 5 more boats in that area. You can hire another local who can work better than me" . I give you 1 more boat you missed to list .And ask for refund and end the contract. 
OK,this is just an example to understand what I went through. 
How would you feel for 15 hours you worked , and for the client who is asking impossible thing ? 
Answer me please .

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 15

Minthant T wrote:

@Petra R.
You are funny same as the mid-man from upwork . 

You live in Vasto  , right ?  
For example,

I posted a job to list every boat to charter in Pescara, I expected to get 100-150 boats in the list and will pay 200$ . You see the job post , and interest and apply to it since you are a local to do it easily but not familiar with boat charter so you don't know how many boats out there to charter  
And you got hired .
Answer me please .

I would not accept a job without checking if it can be done. That is not what professionals do.  If I was offered a job involving something I know nothing about, I turn it down. Obviously.

Upwork can not make a legally binding decision over Escrow funds. They can only mediate.

To get a legally binding decision you would have to go to arbitration, which costs $ 291. (each. You pay, the client pays, Upwork pays.)

The lessons here are:

1. Only accept jobs you know you can deliver
  2. Behave professionally when dealing even with challenging clients.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 15

I won arbitration for the full amount and I was 10,000 words under his word count requirement.

I woulda paid the fee but eh you need $300 to play with I guess.

eta: yeah, shoulda at least given the OP half but these clients are losers.

Highlighted
10 of 15

I just feel bad because my work is marked as disqualified without any reasons , the worse thing is that upwork did not help and even forced me to spend  $180 to get paid 75$.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS