cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have 5 stars, but "65% success"

Highlighted
Ian L Member Since: Sep 1, 2015
1 of 11

Hi, I've been a freelancer for some time now, with a history of 25 jobs.

Here's a screenshot of my four lowest ratings in my entire history of freelancing.

Ian's Lowest Ratings

You can take a look for yourself on my profile.

My clients and I have always satisfied with my work. In fact, there was only 1 job out of 25 in which my client was dissatisfied (the issue was mutually resolved on friendly terms anyways). This would mean that I have a 96% success rate, because 24 divided by 25 is 0.96. 

However, here's a screenshot of my depressing "Job Success" bar, visible to the public on my profile.

Job Success.jpg

I've never understood where this number came from. I've contacted Upwork, beleiving this number was in error, but they simply read me some sort of convoluted documentation about the "JSS" system which I had already read anyways in trying to understand this number.

Ever since this sad "Job Success" score of 65% has been forcibly added onto my profile, I've been pretty unsuccessful in bidding on new jobs. 

What confuses me even more is that, if you take a look at this blue bar, it clearly shows less than 50%. And here's a simple illustration showing that the blue bar is making me look worse than the JSS score already is.

Calculations

The bar fills only 36 pixels of a 120 pixel space. 36 divided by 120 is 0.3. This means that whoever glances at this blue bar is being told that I have a success rate of 30%.

This is further verified by taking a look at the CSS code governing the "o-jss-bar" element of my profile.

Code

So, there is an intention to show through this easy-to-see deature that less than one out of three of my jobs have ended in "success". What this says to anybody considering hiring me is that they should avoid hiring me. And what that means for me is that nobody can take me seriously any more as a freelancer, and I haven't managed to secure any jobs on this site recently.

How am I supposed to deal with my image being completely destroyed by this convoluted rating system that will soon replace the perfectly-functioning 5-star rating system? Has anybody else experienced financial loss from this change? I'd be glad to hear from the Upwork community about this issue.

Ace Contributor
Jonathan David S Member Since: Sep 18, 2015
2 of 11

At least on Elance, clients gave private feedback.  Your clients may have told you they were satisfied with your work, but they may have just been nice.

For example, when I go to a restaurant and don't like the food, I will rarely tell the waitress. I don't like being rude publicly. This is the same thing.

Ace Contributor
Karolis K Member Since: Sep 5, 2015
3 of 11

Does anyone know if private feedback for clients exists on Upwork?

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
4 of 11

@Karolis K wrote:

Does anyone know if private feedback for clients exists on Upwork?

You bet! 

Info

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
5 of 11

You only have 8 jobs that were completed within the last 2 years, and 2 of them are your low scorers. Hopefully, that October 2013 is one of the bad ones and it will fall off next month. You could go up next month if it is. You have a Dec 2013 one too that will drop off soon, so you might bounce back Jan 2016.

6 of 11

I sense sarcastic hopefulness Smiley LOL

But that's honestly been my hope for my reputation at this point: If I wait until next year, maybe the system won't portray me as a horrible freelancer.

Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
7 of 11

Actually Jen's hopes were genuine Smiley Happy At least that's how I sense it. It's true - if the worst month is Oct 2013 and it falls out of the 24-month window, you may (really, hopefully) see a spike in your JS! Observe it. And keep bidding to new jobs! Use all your connects if you have to, but keep bidding! Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 11

lol yeah that's what's hard about the 4 star people. I kinda know who gives me meh feedback. At least when they give you 1 star, you know they hate you. 5 stars you kinda assume things went well, but those 4 are like "Hmm maybe she did or maybe she didn't."  

Since you have so many dropping off the next couple of months, you might bounce back soon.

9 of 11

True. Funny how you never really see two or three stars, it's always five, four, or one.

But yeah, now that I look at it, I see that my score has the potential to bounce back soon. I'm always afraid to waste all of my connects (that's what they're still called, right?), but I suppose I'll go ahead and spend them all like Evelina suggested, since I need some successful recent jobs to boost my JS score.

Community Guru
Javier M Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
10 of 11

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS