cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a client who just ended the contract because I wasn't getting the work done fast enough.

apexpredator71
Community Guru
Vonda S Member Since: Aug 30, 2017
1 of 6

I told him the prior week (my mom was rushed to the emergency room) he said the project was not an urgent deal.  Its the 26th and bare in mind I have done a whole project plus half of the second project.  Client is refusing to pay me for the work done., in fact he is requesting a refund.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 6

Vonda, 

Emergencies come up. I hope your mom is okay. My husband was in a terrible accident a couple weeks ago and has to go back to the hospital every day just to get a scan of his brain. So I am going through the same situation right now and many clients will be sympathetic, but you have to realize they have their own deadlines to meet. So, your best bet is to talk to him. Tell him you realize it is not his fault as his deadlines may have changed since the time he told you no rush. Be professional, ask him to pay you for the partial project and then you will refund any of the remaining balance back to him when he closes the contract. I actually just did that with one client and he was very understanding and paid me for what I had completed and I approved the refund. 

Communication is best at this point and don't say anything that may shift blame to him because that causes tension. Emergencies happen. Sometimes you can work it out and sometimes you can't but just be professional and talk to him about it. You may be surprised. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
apexpredator71
Community Guru
3 of 6

I did that and gave him what I have done, he isn't responding to me at all.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
BEST ANSWER
4 of 6

And that may be the case. Just remember most clients have bosses too. Keep this in mind though, no amount of money is worth being there for your mother in her time of need. Some contracts work out and some don't. Heck I had a client cut me off completely, we had been working together about eight months. I sent him a message and told him I will begin the next milestone when it was funded. He said well never mind I have done missed the deadline and closed the contract. (He waited five days to reply to my request). Of course it was no fault of my own because I'm not working on a non-funded milestone and I sent him a message ahead of the deadline asking him to fund it. But hey it comes with the territory. You're not going to please everyone. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

View solution in original post

apexpredator71
Community Guru
5 of 6

Thank you Katrina, I just didnt want to hurt my JSS Score

apexpredator71
Community Guru
6 of 6

The project had 2242 entries and I only got it a week ago, the milestone was for $25.00

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS