🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I have a permit stating I am legal to work in...
Page options
callmedagger
Community Member

I have a permit stating I am legal to work in the USA online, and physically in California under 18

Does one have to be 18 to work? I ask because my employer and I live in the same state, where the work I am doing is legal as young as 14 (which I am much older than) as long as one has a permit from their school (which I have). Could I submit this to show I am eligible for the work or is a photo id showing I am 18 years or older needed? If so, I may need to let my brother take over the work and contact my employer outside of Upwork, which I really don't want to do. I love using Upwork and it is an amazing site, and the fees they take do not bother me. If we could find this LEGAL alternative where I show my permit/license, my legal governmental authorization to work signed from school online throughout the world and physically in my state (my work on upwork applies to online across the world, but, my employer also is based out of CA so it would work either way) then that would be great. Please let me know if this is possible or if I have to begin terminating my work.

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Chad B wrote:

Does one have to be 18 to work? 

If so, I may need to let my brother take over the work and contact my employer outside of Upwork, which I really don't want to do.

You have to be 18. Upwork is not "employment"

You also must not let your brother work with that client outside of Upwork if you found the client ON Upwork.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Chad, 

Please know that you will have to be 18-years old, and above to be able to use Upwork. You may read more about it here.

The team will also follow up with you with more information about your account.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members