cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a question for those with experience about whether an offer is legit

Highlighted
Brigette S Member Since: Jun 29, 2018
1 of 3

I'm new here and got a response from a client that is confusing me. I copied and pasted it below minus the name. I can't tell if it's a paying client offering me or a job, or if it's another site trying to get me to go offsite. Red flags for me are the fact that the payment method is unverified and he can't get messages from this site.

Thanks!

Brigette

Dear Brigette,

*** Edited for Community Guidelines ***

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
2 of 3

Express Writers is a legitimate company that does hire writers. However, the last I "heard" from Julie, she did not hire via Upwork and the client using her name is a scammer. That was some time ago, so I can't confirm that this is still the case. Nonetheless, you shouldn't have to provide your W-2 if the company (legitimate or not) is processing payments via Upwork. And, if they aren't processing payments via Upwork, then it is a violation of the TOS. 

So- I would report the message to CS and let it go. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
3 of 3

Hello Brigette,

I am sorry to hear that. I just checked and I can confirm that our team has already taken action. You may read this article to help you avoid questionable jobs. You can also read these article to help you get started:

Getting Started
Want to get that first job?

How it works as a freelancer

Thank you and good luck!

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS