🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: I have added manual time but it doesn't i...
Page options
atifsadiq7
Community Member

I have added manual time but it doesn't included in my weekly summary..

2 of my client allowed me to add manual time if the hours exceed the weekly limit.  So I have added few hours as a manual time. After adding the manual time, I got the notification that there is no need to do anything from your side or the client-side. But today in the weekly summary, those hours of manual time didn't count. Can please anyone explain the process or I am wrong somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Atif Sadiq

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "Then what is the logic to have an option for 'adding manual time.' If it doesn't help you in any way."

The purpose of adding manual time is NOT to add time when you have used up the maximum number of hours per week. The purpose of adding manual time is to record time that you can not record while working on the computer.

If you are doing your regular work, you do NOT add manual time.

But if the client wants you to do something that doesn't use the computer, you add manual time. For example, if you are baking a cake, so that the cake can be photographed for a baking blog, then you will use manual time. Because you don't use the computer to bake a cake.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Can please anyone explain the process or I am wrong somewhere."

Yes. I can explain the process.

Yes, you are wrong.

There are two concepts:

- Maximum hours per week limit

- Manual time

These concepts are not directly related.

It is NOT POSSIBLE to "use manual time" to get paid when the hours exceed the weekly limit.

Here is an exmple:

- The weekly limit is 5 hours

- The freelancer has more work to do, so the freelancer adds 2 hours using manual time

- The freelancer DOES NOT GET PAID for those two hours.

Question: What if my maximum number of hours per week is 5 hours, but I have more work to do? Can I use manual time to add those hours?

Answer: No

Question: What should I do if I have more work to do, and the maximum number has been reached?

Answer: Tell the client:

"Peter, I have reached the maximum number of hours this week. If you increase the maximum number of hours, I can continue working this week. Otherwise, I can wait until Monday when the new week starts and I have more hours."

Then what is the logic to have an option for "adding manual time". If it doesn't help you in any way.

And why we get the notification after adding manual time that there is no need to do anything from your or client-side and hours are added to your weekly summary.

re: "Then what is the logic to have an option for 'adding manual time.' If it doesn't help you in any way."

The purpose of adding manual time is NOT to add time when you have used up the maximum number of hours per week. The purpose of adding manual time is to record time that you can not record while working on the computer.

If you are doing your regular work, you do NOT add manual time.

But if the client wants you to do something that doesn't use the computer, you add manual time. For example, if you are baking a cake, so that the cake can be photographed for a baking blog, then you will use manual time. Because you don't use the computer to bake a cake.

Hi Atif,

I would like to clarify that when you're adding manual hours or track your time with our Desktop app, your clients will be automatically billed on Monday. To learn more about how you're getting paid on hourly contracts, check out this Help Article

Please keep in mind that manual time is not protected under our Upwork Hourly Protection. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran V wrote:

I would like to clarify that when you're adding manual hours or track your time with our Desktop app, your clients will be automatically billed on Monday. 

NOT when he has exceeded the weekly limit, which he has.

That's the whole point of this entire thread.

He thought that adding manual time after reaching the weekly limit would somehow miraculously get them billed or charged or paid.

Atif S wrote:

Then what is the logic to have an option for "adding manual time". If it doesn't help you in any way.

Manual time isn't there for you to add hours in excess of the weekly limit. The weekly limit is the weekly limit. It would be crazy if it could be circumvented by a freelancer simply adding manual time.

Manual time is there for when freelancers do work that can't be tracked by the tracker (painting for example, or drawing up plans, or taking pohotographs, or makig phonecalls etc etc etc etc etc) or when client and freelancer agree that the freelancer won't be using the tracker for other reasons. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever at all to do with the weekly limit.

Simply have the client pay you for the excessive hours as a bonus and get the client to increase the limit.

Got the Point. Thanks for your helpful answers.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members