Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have been asked to do a paid test, but payment is unverified

lazstar
Lakshmi L Member Since: Jun 15, 2017
1 of 6

Hi,

I have been asked to complete a test by a new client, who needs a fairly large job done. On my suggestion/request the client created a milestone so that the test would be paid, but I see that in the 'active contracts' listing it says the project is unfunded. Also if I go to the actual job it says next to the milestone, the amount is unverified. It does give me the option to submit work now, but is this risky, or standard? Am I covered by Upwork, if the client should chose not to pay at this point? 

(I will add this test some is a relatively small amoount but I'd like to know from a principle perspective, for future jobs)

Thanks for the help, I have attached skreen shots for reference.

carlosbstatu
Ace Contributor
Carlos C Member Since: May 27, 2017
2 of 6

If the client´s payment method is unverified, you will not get paid, not even the $10 since there is no money in escrow. What I think, is that they just want free work and make you believe its a test. You can politely ask the customer to verify her/his payment method so you can be sure you will get paid.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
3 of 6

AND fund the milestone. For an hourly job, a verified payment method is sufficient. For a fixed price job, the client must escrow the full amount of the milestone or you risk not getting paid.

noelia_berna
Ace Contributor
Noelia B Member Since: Apr 25, 2017
4 of 6

Hello, Lakshmi, 

If the milestone is not funded and payment method is not verified, it is not protected by Upwork. It should specifically state "(funded)" and "verified". 

No matter the amount, it should be funded before you start working on it. So yes, it is risky. 

You can politely ask the Client to kindly verify payment method for you to start working. 

Hope I helped Smiley Happy 

Noelia B.
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 6

The milestone sort of is funded (the $ will be in Escrow, as it is impossible to set up a first milestone without funding it) but could not be released because the payment method is not verified.

Tell the client you will be happy to start once their payment method is verified.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 6

Hi Lakshmi,

Please ask your client to verify their billing method, which takes only a few minutes, so you could deliver the work you completed as agreed. Only use the button on your contract details page (seen in the second screenshot) and submit the work once you see the client has a verified billing method.

Feel free to follow up if you have any questions and review the freelancer resources we shared here.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS