🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I have expert skills in almost all software -...
Page options
jlburdette
Community Member

I have expert skills in almost all software - databases - .net - HTML5 - Google Suite - no jobs?????

I am having a hard time with proposals at this point. I have so many skills, expertise experience, and education. My profile is loaded with examples of my work. What should I try next?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlsanders
Community Member

Narrow it down. Most of us have dozens of skills we've been paid for at some point in the past and could use to make a living. But, when you advertise them all to clients, they see "master of nothing." Pick what you want to market and rebuild your profile and proposals around it.

I see that you call yourself "master of many," but that's just not marketable. 

For example, I'm an attorney, former teacher, curriculum developer, digital marketing expert, former newspaper reporter, experienced writing coach, and law school admissions consultant with signicant SEO and editing experience. I also have professional experience in social media marketing, developing and managing pay-per-click ad campaigns, ghostwriting business books, and writing white papers in the medical and dental technology industries. 

On Upwork, I offer consumer-directed legal content writing. 

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44
prestonhunter
Community Member

Re: "I have expert skills in almost all software"

I have hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork, in over a dozen areas of expertise.

One of the first things I look at is if the freelancer has a large number of different skills.

And then I delete them from the candidate list.

I prefer to hire experts.

Are you saying if I am an expert in many different areas that you would delete me? Could you rationalize why that that would deter a client?

Ja'Net, it's the same thing for all service businesses.

If you try to sell everything to everybody, you're not selling anything particular to anybody.

Freelancing is an expert's game. Standing out from your competition is the first step. By looking at your profile I have no idea who your competitors would be. Or what kinds of clients you're after. Specify those and your profile has a much better chance to penetrate the market. I cannot even see what the outcome of your work is or how it would help someone's business.

If I were to hire someone to create a pitch deck for a startup client of mine, would I ask you to do it as you seem to have expert-level skill in PowerPoint? No. I'd ask a guy who makes pitch decks for startups using PowerPoint. See what I mean?

Thanks I will check out a few of your profiles from this thread to get a better understanding of how to display each for better organization:-) Critique is always welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!  How I became a master of many things:-)

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 9.08.16 AM.png

Jack of all trades...

Yep if you have ever had to work for the heads of international companies - perfection is the position and if you don't know you better learn quick and know it by the book as well as give impromptu demonstrations.

Ja'Net B wrote:

Could you rationalize why that that would deter a client?

Because Jacks of all trades are never masters of one.

Your profile looks like you picked up a bucket of skills from different categories and threw it at the wall in the hope that something will stick.

You want to rethink your profile entirely, including your profile picture, which might benefit from being exchanged for something that looks a little bit more approachable and less intimidating.

When you are just starting out, every tiny little aspect can make the difference between getting invited for interview and your proposal not even being read.

If you're looking for work in any of the creative categories, it's not enough to say that you know how to use the software; you need a good portfolio as well. Your PowerPoint sample doesn't demonstrate any of the expertise that you claim to have, you have just one logo under "graphic design", and no examples of any Wordpress sites. There are thousands of freelancers on Upwork who have a lot more experience and charge less than your hourly rate, too.

You should decide which skills you're best at, focus on learning them really well, develop better portfolio pieces (if relevant), then try again.

I have added a few of my websites on my profile this morning. I will update my profile pic - I thought it was pretty basic. I am tossing together an access database to day as well. since those take very little time if you have had to create hundreds of them. Thank you for all of the helpful critique. Please keep it coming as I am a master of many.

"I am tossing together an access database to day as well. since those take very little time if you have had to create hundreds of them."

I don't know a single company OR .NET developer who uses Access databases in 2021.  Again, not pointing this out to belittle or anything.  SQL Server is king and as a .NET developer you ought to know that Access is antiquated at this point.  As for your Excel skills, like others have said in this thread: "so what? everyone has those".

You list ".net" and "HTML5" as skills.  Do you know C#?  CSS? Javascript?  Anything like that that's marketable (HTML5 alone is not, by the way)?

Master of many - please let me know if you would like me to build something for you 🙂

Thank you for the critique, I appreciate it. Should I go for a pic with more of a pose like yours?? I tried to go for very basic and simple????? I will check out a few of the profiles from this thread and see what I can get together. 

Preston, Mikko, and Christine A do not have profiles to view??

Is UpWork a **Edited for Community Guidelines**?

re: "Preston, Mikko, and Christine A do not have profiles to view?"

I usually need to keep my profile blocked. Otherwise I receive too many job invites.

Preston H wrote:

re: "Preston, Mikko, and Christine A do not have profiles to view?"

I usually need to keep my profile blocked. Otherwise I receive too many job invites.

I have never requested that my profile should be blocked in any way, so thank you for letting me know - I will need to investigate further.

Christine: I simply have my availability setting set to Unavailable.

I don't know if that blocks my profile page from being seen in all situations. I don't think it does. But the original poster reported not being able to see my profile. So apparently she wasn't able to see it.

Preston H wrote:

Christine: I simply have my availability setting set to Unavailable.

I don't know if that blocks my profile page from being seen in all situations. I don't think it does. But the original poster reported not being able to see my profile. So apparently she wasn't able to see it.

My profile is set to "Upwork users only", hence you cannot click on it in the Community because the button is greyed out. But your and Christine's profiles can be clicked - and then it says they cannot be found... I have never seen that happen before. 

However, when I search for Christine's profile via the talent search on the platform she comes up first in the results list. Odd.

As for the OP's question - I have different skills and I market them on Upwork. As far as I am concerned it works.

Ela K wrote:

But your and Christine's profiles can be clicked - and then it says they cannot be found... I have never seen that happen before.

They both come up as normal for me? They did last night as well.

Ela K wrote:

As for the OP's question - I have different skills and I market them on Upwork. As far as I am concerned it works.

Yes, but you don't have a dozen or so up there, without any portfolio or history.

Also, what works fine for long-established freelancers may well not work for those starting out.

Maybe it is for the competition in the UpWork game???? lol

tlbp
Community Member

Ja'Net B wrote:

Are you saying if I am an expert in many different areas that you would delete me? Could you rationalize why that that would deter a client?

It is possible for someone to have many areas of expertise. However, it is also rare. So, even if true, a statement promising a rare set of skills may be doubted. There are many people who lie on their profiles or overstate their skills. This makes it difficult for potential clients to discern who is telling the truth. 

jlburdette
Community Member

For me it is more like should I do a video presentation and post on my YouTube of a creation of a user friendly database, Articulate Storyline, Google Site, website, blah, blah, blah...sorry, but you understand as well I do now that I need to focus one two things instead of hey maybe if I put out all of my skills I may get a project... I totally get it now 🙂 You guys are so helpful!!!!!!

Thank you again. 

tlsanders
Community Member

Narrow it down. Most of us have dozens of skills we've been paid for at some point in the past and could use to make a living. But, when you advertise them all to clients, they see "master of nothing." Pick what you want to market and rebuild your profile and proposals around it.

I see that you call yourself "master of many," but that's just not marketable. 

For example, I'm an attorney, former teacher, curriculum developer, digital marketing expert, former newspaper reporter, experienced writing coach, and law school admissions consultant with signicant SEO and editing experience. I also have professional experience in social media marketing, developing and managing pay-per-click ad campaigns, ghostwriting business books, and writing white papers in the medical and dental technology industries. 

On Upwork, I offer consumer-directed legal content writing. 

Thank you Tiffany 🙂

I would also change your title/ headline of your profile. It should be what you do, not just a software you have experience in. Everyone and their mother can use Office and Google suite. What product/service do you provide?

Amanda I thought the same, but will concentrate on the Google Suite skills as many need these right now with all of the e-learning necessary out there. And that I am definitely a pro!!!!!! 🙂

Thank you again

I also noted the projects area. Which is new to me on UpWork. We can really create and upload to sell to clients? Soooooo Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Tiffany. I am a biochemist at the base of my spectrum - then sftware developer with asp.net with SQL backends - Access databases are fun for me - so not really work, but definitely want to highlight those as many are wanting to switch more to web-based on SQL and I like to be helpful. Those are what I have built the rest of my skills from and still moving into the Instructional Design field. Not sure where to put all of this knowledge but maybe into training modules  ....LOL... Thank you again everyone- I hope it helps. 

lysis10
Community Member

I'll be honest. You're not giving off a software dev vibe at all. Have you actually done anything in .net outside of a course?

I built the entire GoGreen project for Gates Rubber Company for all of North American front to back including all visuals, programming for all aspects of production, blah, blah, blah Is it my hair in the pic????????? lol.. so how do you set a vibe??? Curious as I was always taught to be very professional in all walks of life. Confused

Ja'Net B wrote:

I built the entire GoGreen project for Gates Rubber Company for all of North American front to back including all visuals, programming for all aspects of production, blah, blah, blah Is it my hair in the pic????????? lol.. so how do you set a vibe??? Curious as I was always taught to be very professional in all walks of life. Confused

There are a number of reasons. You asked why you're not getting jobs and I can tell you that you're not giving software dev vibe, so maybe not really an expert there and should be removed. You should focus on something you do really well.

7bb3a47b
Community Member

Jennifer 

I am a wordpress developer and today I have completed a tiny job.

I can't be you like I am not a .net developer.( I know a little, but I dont advertise)

I agreee your point and thank you for the comment

Your comment is so helpful 

Jennifer 

Please take a look at my profile and advise me 

WordPress is fun.

One of mine is **Edited for Community Guidelines**

I prefer my own server however. 

Sorry my ego lies in biochem not language in a computer when i click buttons

My ego lies in Biochemistry - premed is my forte and my research. Pressing buttons utilizing different language is fun, like traveling. I travel with buttons on a computer based upon the needs of a client. So I probably do not have the typical inflated ego which I have ran into over the years... I am a very humble person. Sorry I do not have a vibe for you, but if you need any consultant work completed let me know I also worked on government audits for years 😉

Ja'Net B wrote:

My ego lies in Biochemistry - premed is my forte and my research. Pressing buttons utilizing different language is fun, like traveling. I travel with buttons on a computer based upon the needs of a client. So I probably do not have the typical inflated ego which I have ran into over the years... I am a very humble person. Sorry I do not have a vibe for you, but if you need any consultant work completed let me know I also worked on government audits for years 😉

That's very precious, dear. Good on you.

I hope the pic change helped. I will work on my Portfolio add-ons. Amazing Portfolio Jennifer M. Aand a pleasure to meet you I must say! 🙂 I hope everyone stays safe and healthy. Prayers for health, wealth, and happiness for everyone. Me and my hair--jeesh.

Ja'Net B wrote:

I hope the pic change helped. I will work on my Portfolio add-ons. Amazing Portfolio Jennifer M. Aand a pleasure to meet you I must say! 🙂 I hope everyone stays safe and healthy. Prayers for health, wealth, and happiness for everyone. Me and my hair--jeesh.

I wasn't really referring to the pic. -_-

I will add examples of my designs and architecture. I do not like loiters that take from profiles either so I will be very basic. My concepts span 2 continents. I am sure clients may not understand code if I added. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Ja'Net B wrote:

I am having a hard time with proposals at this point. I have so many skills, expertise experience, and education. My profile is loaded with examples of my work. What should I try next?

This is what you need to do:

1. Get a professional picture with a friendly smile. No selfies of any kind.

2. Get into a client mindset. A potential client is not interested to look at a list of skills. He wants to get the warm and fuzzy feeling that you, of of the over 2 million freelancers on upwork are the right person to solve his problems.

3. You need to market yourself better. Your profile should be about you, but not about you. Once you get that, you're good to go. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths