cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I have had no interviews or jobs since getting my 100% JSS. Help?

Highlighted
Benjamin G Member Since: Feb 14, 2019
1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I am still quite a fresher on Upwork, and only recently started working on this amazing platform (first job mid-January). I have been working in my field for years and have qualifications and references, so quickly after getting my first job, I started receiving more, and became part of the Rising Talent program.
At that stage, I was getting regular requests to apply to jobs, and people were generally getting back to me after my proposals (about 25% of the time). I also completed all my jobs with great feedback, and great client relations (except one fraudulent contract on the client's end, but that does not really translates on my profile, and does not represent my abilities).
Roughly ten days ago, I graduated from my ten days of Rising Talent to my first JSS. 100% Hurray! I was super happy and still am.
But here is the thing: since I got this JSS, I have had zero invitations to apply, zero jobs, and virtually no one gets back to my proposals (only one actually out of 20, and it was a pre-typed group reply).
Now, I have quite a specific skillset, and there are a lot of other freelancers on that segment, so I carefully select the jobs I apply to, and write a unique proposal each and every time, with examples, links, and references. I apply to about a job a day.

I am aware that no profile is a perfect profile, so I played around with the special profiles, and then decided to drop them, I also rewrote my personal statement, added elements of my portfolio to the website (and not only a link to my external website) etc.

If anyone that is more experienced went through the same "dip", what happened?

If anyone has time, what would you change on my profile to make it more "hireable"? Is there anything "repulsive" or not compelling/enticing in my profile?

Please help :/

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 7

I obviously don't know your category but I think your profile is impressive.

You've won quite a few contracts, so I suspect your current slump is simply "the way it goes!" - Freelancing is famine or feast - next week you might be drowning in work.

Highlighted
Benjamin G Member Since: Feb 14, 2019
3 of 7

Petra, thank you for your reply.
Yeah, I did believe that my experience was sufficient, but could not fathom the reasons behind this absolute silence since I lost the Rising Talent status.
Has anyone else experienced this?
I could not find anything on the forums.
Anyway, I will persevere and hopefully, it will go back to normal?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
4 of 7

Benjamin G wrote:

Petra, thank you for your reply.
Yeah, I did believe that my experience was sufficient, but could not fathom the reasons behind this absolute silence since I lost the Rising Talent status.
Has anyone else experienced this?
I could not find anything on the forums.
Anyway, I will persevere and hopefully, it will go back to normal?

What is "normal," when it comes to freelancing?

You had an impressive start, so it is not your profile and it is not your price. To my amateur eye your profile and portfolio are impressive. If I needed what you offer and you were within my budget I'd certainly contact you.

You can win jobs, you have won jobs and you will win jobs again.

Keep up the  momentum.

I have often wondered if Rising talent freelancers are more attrative to clients as they have "a badge!" - like top rated ones. But just keep doing what you were doing and you'll hit top rated in due course.

I'd consider raising your hourly rate. $ 29 was my least successful rate.

Take a look, you are at the top end of the most overcrowded price-segment.

Maybe being at the bottom end of the next segment up (when clients search) gets you more high end clients and you'll be the bargain end of that next segment. You are cheap for your experience and background.

rate.jpg

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
5 of 7

Upwork uses an algorithm for the order in which freelancers show up in search results, and changes it around every few weeks, but even if that were a factor, it would only account for the dip in interviews, not in responses to your proposals.

So just keep doing what you have done, it seems to work great, and peaks and valleys are to be expected. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
6 of 7

To add to what others have already said, just keep your head up. I have had a dry spell for the last month and I've been here for years. A couple of days ago within (I'm not exaggerating) a 20 minute period 5 previous clients got in touch with me to do more work and I went from nothing to do to being booked for the next month within a span of minutes. 

It will happen to you all through your freelancing career also to where even though you don't want to you will have to turn down work. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
7 of 7

It will only be a little bump, with your profile, I do not think it's anything else.
Just a warning, you should remove link to your external website Smiley Happy

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS