🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I have had only frustration trying to hire a ...
Page options
0996f98f
Community Member

I have had only frustration trying to hire a freelance programmer

So-called freelance programmers string you along and ask a bunch of questions then ghost you. Why waste my time. This is not a place to hire programmers. Stay away if you want reliable people. 

17 REPLIES 17
prestonhunter
Community Member

Many clients effectively hire programmers on Upwork.

You have not yet succeeded in your hiring efforts because you are not using best practices.

I am using best practices to the best of my knowledge. 

Here is a link that will start you on the path to learning about Upwork, freelancers, and how the system works.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/Introductory-webinar-available-for-new-marketplace-clients-n...

Instead of searching the Internet, read the Upwork information. 

Freelancers are under no obligation to work for you, just as clients are not obligated to hire anyone. There can be as many discussions or interviews as either party wishes. An interview is not a guarantee. If you have gone through multiple freelancers and have the same issue with them all, it is time to look at your behavior. This is not an attack on you; it is a fact.

I believe honest communication is the most important aspect of freelancing for both parties. It is crucial that you express everything you expect, and the freelancer does the same. If you are being ghosted, revise your approach, and evaluate if your requirements are fair and easy to understand. If your attitude about freelancers is expressed to your freelancer, you may have a difficult time hiring.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

If they're asking you questions and then ghosting you, it may be because your responses to their questions are unclear, and/or the amount of work is too much for the price that you're offering. Freelancers also have to spend time (and often money) in order to send proposals, so it's highly unlikely that anyone is deliberately wasting your time.

I have answered all of their questions clearly and thoroughly. Some have set up further phone calls to discuss  and then not showed up and not answered my emails regarding what the issue is.  Also I have clearly indicated that the fee structure is flexible given the amount of work that will be required. I am not trying to lowball anyone. 

re: "Some have set up further phone calls to discuss  and then not showed up and not answered my emails regarding what the issue is.  Also I have clearly indicated that the fee structure is flexible given the amount of work that will be required. I am not trying to lowball anyone."

You should hire the freelancers before meetings are scheduled to discuss the project in more detail. Hire them as quickly as possible to provide consultation. If you like them after talking to them, then you can continue to pay them to do actual work.

If you did not hire them yet, then it is understandable that they might not show up for scheduled meetings. Because they knew they would not get paid for the meeting.

alexandernovikov
Community Member

From the style of your message, i think i understand why are they ghosting you: because continuing the conversation is unlikely to bring anything but mutual frustration. And yes, i'm one of these guys, i do it every day...

Your message pretty rude, frankly. What about the "tone" of it? 😕

ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Did you want this post to serve as a warning to other "clients" trying to hire a freelancer? If so, you've posted this in the wrong section. You should post it in the Clients section! 

This was intended as a general complaint because I am quite frustrated. 

ericaandrews
Community Member

I'm a programmer/BA/PM with over 25 years experience that has been hired many times on Upwork, and I have had a largely pleasant experience on most jobs by avoiding bad clients and quickly spotting them during the interview process.  That said, I would definitely  'ghost' you - immediately - quick fast and in a hurry, as well, based on the terrible attitude you managed to demonstrate in only 2 sentences of written text.   You are not the only one doing the 'interviewing'. The Freelancer is running a business and is also interviewing you to see if you are a FIT for their work, time, and line of business. A programmer asking questions during an interview is not 'stringing you along".  An interview is not a 'guarantee' the programmer will perform work for you, but a chance for them to evaluate if they want to perform work for you.  Apparently, multiple programmers have made the determination that you are not a good 'fit' for them if all of them are 'ghosting' after speaking with you.  If these programmers are getting hired by, and working for other clients, but won't work with you, that is an unusual 'fact pattern' you may want to investigate.

Wow, this is really rude. I am not a "bad client".  🙂

charles_kozierok
Community Member

Heather.. if you can provide more information about what happened, it will be easier for people to provide constructive feedback on how you can have a good experience here.

0996f98f
Community Member

None of these responses is helpful. If it makes you all feel better to blame me then please continue to do so! 🙂

0996f98f
Community Member

Thanks Charles. **Edited for Community Guidelines** The main problem for me is that I have explained my project in great detail to 3 - 4 programmers who responded to my ad, who ask me for more information which I have provided. They express interest and ask for a phone call or zoom, which I have done.  We exchange NDAs and I provide them more background on my project. They say they "need to check" with someone and will get back to me but then they don't or they say "I can't help you," with no explanation. When I follow up for more details as to what the problem is, they ignore me. I don't think my project is that unusual and I have adequate funds set aside. If I were to find a person with good communication skills this could become a very large project. I did a search online to see if this is unusual and apparently plenty of others have experienced this.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ **Edited for Community Guidelines** 

Stop wasting your time trying to interview people. Just hire people using hourly contracts, give them assignments, and continue working with the freelancers who provide you with the most value.

If you hire six freelancers, you should be able find one or two good ones. Then fire the rest.

Hi Heather.

I only have a little specific experience hiring freelancers, but based on my overall business background and knowledge of freelancing, I'd make these recommendations:

1. Put as much detail as possible in the ad (without sensitive info).
  2. Make sure you have a detailed requirements document ready to go.
  3. Examine profiles closely. De-emphasize the numbers in favor of the descriptions -- what did prior clients say?
  4. When interviewing, be sure communication is there. A programming job isn't a writing job, but communication is still vital.
  5. Pay more than you expect to. Generally speaking, trying to "get a deal" is going to end up costing more in the long run.
  6. Be patient. If you don't find someone who looks like a good fit, repost.
  7. As Preston suggested, trial runs can also be a great idea. Hire someone for a smaller subproject and see how they do before committing to the full project.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members