aguilera-ana

I have never charged per hour.How do I do that?

As a translator I work per word or per amount of content not per hour but I have no option in the profile for that? What can I do?

6 REPLIES 6
mtngigi

Not sure what you mean.

You have the option to bid on hourly jobs (or not) - it has nothing to do with your profile, except that you do have to include your hourly rate on your profile.

If you bid on an hourly job, you then use Upwork's time-tracking software to track your hours. There is plenty of information in the help menus about this.

mthornton-cpc

Ana, I see you do not list an hourly rate on your profile. I'm not sure how that's possible, but you can enter your hourly rate by goint to Find Work > Profile > hover over your hourly rate and click the edit pencil. 

@Melissa T wrote:

Ana, I see you do not list an hourly rate on your profile. I'm not sure how that's possible, but you can enter your hourly rate by goint to Find Work > Profile > hover over your hourly rate and click the edit pencil. 

Melissa,

I'm guessing it's because she's still editing the profile and hasn't submitted it for approval.

Ah, that makes sense. 

yitwail

@Ana A wrote:

As a translator I work per word or per amount of content not per hour but I have no option in the profile for that? What can I do?

You could estimate how many words you can translate in an hour, then multiply it by the price you charge per word. Or if you can't estimate, then maybe do a freelancer search for some successful translators in your language(s), then use the average of their hourly rates as a starting point.

Hi Ana. Another approach might be to list your rates at the top of the profile so that they're clearly visible to clients. And also provide that information if you apply to job postings that you see come up. That way, you could do your estimates as a flat rate on a job-by-job basis. That's another possible approach that might be a little closer to the way you're used to estimating projects. You'll also need to take into account the UpWork freelancer fees as well.