🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: I have stage fright and it's ruining my f...
Page options
bassmah
Community Member

I have stage fright and it's ruining my freelancing career - Help needed.

All right, bear with me for a minute here. I think I have stage fright and it's ruining my freelancing career on Upwork. I know that adding a video to my profile is a huge plus, but I'm too scared to add one. I don't think I can speak well in front of the camera. It's ridiculous I know. Many clients request a video call which is another thing that triggers my anxiety. Those of you who've added videos to their profiles, any tips on how to seem composed and calm on video? 

I've landed zero jobs so far, mostly because I don't submit lots of proposals due to a consuming, and somewhat messy, day job. I'd really appreciate it if you take a look at my profile and tell me if you see a fatal flaw, other than that God-awful photo and the "bilingual proficiency" I claim despite Petra's "under-sell, over-deliver" advice 😳.

https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~01afb31164de3b4580/

Thanks, everyone 🙂 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ladyelexia
Community Member

A video isn't required to land work, personally, I never plan to do one. Getting your first project just takes time and effort, things will get better as you go along. As for your profile, I am not in your field, but in general, your first line should not be a quote from an unknown client about an unknown project. Instead of talking about other platforms, talk about what you can do and how you can serve your clients. Keep it concise. Add many more verifiable items to your portfolio. Perhaps someone in your niche can give more specific details. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ladyelexia
Community Member

A video isn't required to land work, personally, I never plan to do one. Getting your first project just takes time and effort, things will get better as you go along. As for your profile, I am not in your field, but in general, your first line should not be a quote from an unknown client about an unknown project. Instead of talking about other platforms, talk about what you can do and how you can serve your clients. Keep it concise. Add many more verifiable items to your portfolio. Perhaps someone in your niche can give more specific details. 

Thank you so much for your advice, Heather. I'll definitely tweak my overview. As for my portfolio, you're right, it needs more items, live ones too. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Bassma:

Stage freight does not prevent you from being a successful freelancer on Upwork.

Many successful freelancers NEVER do video calls with clients. Or even audio calls.

Only a small percentage of Upwork jobs require these.

You can create a profile video WITHOUT appearing in it. There are many excellent profile videos which just use words and image, without every showing the freelancer or utilizing her voice.

petra_r
Community Member

Bassma h wrote:

All right, bear with me for a minute here. I think I have stage fright and it's ruining my freelancing career on Upwork. I know that adding a video to my profile is a huge plus, but I'm too scared to add one. I don't think I can speak well in front of the camera.

Your video does not have to show you performing in front of your camera. Mine doesn't.

That's a great video, Petra! Where did you get that done?

Joan S wrote:

That's a great video, Petra! Where did you get that done?

I made it myself. It was my first (and to date only) attempt.

That is fantastic! I can't begin to imagine how you did it.

jim-sisi
Community Member

I have some advice only because I have to regularly speak in front of large groups of people.  The key is preparation. Know what you want to say, write it out if you have to.  Don't read it.  Practice it until you know what to say.  You can even practice infront of a camera.  Evaluate your presentation and make notes on what you want to improve and do it again and again until you are happy with it.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths