🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I have to pay a refundable security fee in or...
Page options
claireauc
Community Member

I have to pay a refundable security fee in order to work?

I found a job posting that requires me to deposit $20(refundable after 1 month) in order to work? All the work details are very legit except for this aspect. Is this a scam or is it just that the company does not want a freelancer to give up on the job with no responsibility in between?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I flag  this client:

"Type the text in English on ms word  Needs to hire 20 Freelancers

Matter needs to be retype as it is without making any corrections in the spelling mistakes and the punctuation marks and as per the format. Freelancers who can work on part time basis are required to apply."

not only because he requesting to work outside Upwork but also send a contract on email in which says that I have to pay a refundable security fee in order to work- 25 $.

I figure out it's a scam but they post repetitively this job - almost once a week- and they receive many proposals from freelancers. 

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
prestonhunter
Community Member

It's a scam.

re: "All the work details are very legit except for this aspect."

Everything they told you is a lie.

None of the work details are "legit."

If you googled the name of the company or any of its employees, then you made a mistake. Because that's what they wanted you to do. They tricked you. Don't google jobs.

What could possibly happen if you accidentally searched the job or the name of their recruiter? Thanks 

You waste time. Scammers use real company/person names to look legit. Time would be better spend searching the Academy courses at the top of this page.

I flag  this client:

"Type the text in English on ms word  Needs to hire 20 Freelancers

Matter needs to be retype as it is without making any corrections in the spelling mistakes and the punctuation marks and as per the format. Freelancers who can work on part time basis are required to apply."

not only because he requesting to work outside Upwork but also send a contract on email in which says that I have to pay a refundable security fee in order to work- 25 $.

I figure out it's a scam but they post repetitively this job - almost once a week- and they receive many proposals from freelancers. 

Hi Maria,

I wasn't able to locate this job post, could you please pm me its link so I could check if our team already addressed this post? You are correct in saying this job is a scam, please check these safety tips in order to recognize other types of jobs that violate Upwork ToS.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi Nidia,

I shared your report with the relevant team. You are correct, the job post is a scam and communicating outside Upwork prior to a contract starting is against our Terms of Service.

You may check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

~ AJ
Upwork

**Edited for community guidelines**

 I think this account is also a scamming account. Because he/she asking 55$ security deposit to receive the money after completing the work.

Hi Chathura,

Please know that there aren't any fees required for you to start working with a client. Please also note that users cannot communicate off Upwork until a contract has been set up on your account (the client sent an offer, and you accepted it). It would also be best to visit these articles for more information on how you can keep in line with Upwork's Terms of Service when engaging on the website:

You may also want to read up on this Community article and these articles for more information about working safely through Upwork.
~ Joanne
Upwork

I was also looking for the answer. Thanks Maria 

garnorm
Community Member

Preston's right Claire, don't move ahead with the job posting. Instead, click the flag violation link so our team can get it removed. 

poulomi2016
Community Member

Hi Claire,

Once I got an invitation to interview for a job where they asked me to submit $50 to get hired, but they did not tell me this in the Upwork chat room. Instead, they asked me for my email id which I gave because clients sometimes need it to send you files via Google Docs, etc. I was new to Upwork at that time but not that foolish to get into the trap. I guess you should not think twice before flagging this job because it is nothing but a scam. I still remember that afterI had reported the scam, I saw two similar posts pop onto my newsfeed after a few days. This time too I made sure to report them as scams. 

Best of luck!

Could u please say the name of the company as I am new and the company require 50$ security fees 

We cannot name names

Names are irrelevant in this case as they are most likely fake

This is a scam.

Before applying to any jobs, make sure to get familiar with all the rules by browsing the Upwork website.

1. This thread is 6 years old.

2. Naming names in the forum is not allowed. 

3. You are in doubt if something is a scam? Then it is. 

Add sadly evergreen and more relevant than ever. Sigh.

How can I make sure they are trust worthy 

If they are asking for money from you, IT IS A SCAM. Flag it as inappropriate and stop all contact with them.

thank u for your response however I found there is a website of the company but they contacted me through telegram it's called 24task as well as I will get refunded but I can't be sure about it tho 

Communicationg through Telegram before there is a contract is not allowed, and them asking you to is also a sure sign they are a scammer. They are pretending to be from the company that has the website but really are not.

Same here, I interacted with a representative via telegram.

Did you end up trying it? 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

HI Omnia,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I’ve escalated this report to the correct team for their review and the project has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. Please note that it is a violation of Upwork’s Terms of Service to request or share contact information before a contract starts.  You can check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork.

~ Bojan
Upwork
93872d0c
Community Member

Hi, I just made contact with this same company "24task" and they are charging this 'ensurance fee' of 50 dollars for us to start working, I saw the post here on UPwork and it goes straight to their telegram where they make this proposal.

franc_valentin
Community Member

I found one of such offers today. It's a typing job to type jpgs into MS word. They have different security fees for projects ranging from 30 to 100 which they said will be refundable after your second successful project.

They included their telegram handle where I conversed with their representatives who sent me a demo for what they want and a link to to the projects.

I almost gave in but I decided to make a little research since I'd never heard of such, and I'm glad I did. 

224d6aaa
Community Member

Good morning everyone,

I also receive 2 offers from ALPHA TECHS LTD and KWORK.
I was searching in Google but I did'n find anything. Theay ak me for puchasing 50$ for refundable Insurance deposit fee.
pff a SCAM also???

87e49adf
Community Member

pretty same with mine...

1.Transfer the security fee as per the selected project intoour **Edited for Community Guidelines** and send the screenshot of the payment t**Edited for Community Guidelines** you’ll get the form pin to fill in the Form(Don’t enter any protect codeon Payeer while makingtransaction)
2.OnceyougettheformpinthenfillouttheForm**Edited for Community Guidelines**
3.You will receive the projecton your email address within 3-4 hours after submission of form. After submission of the first Assignment, next Assignment will be given after checking your accuracy and it will take almost twodays.
4.Once a project assigned then you have to complete it in given time period and in case if you want to take break between two assignments then inform us via email

glad I saw this. you all is a life saver ❤️

Hi Jovelyn,

A real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. I encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Additionally, you may want to check this help artilce and this thread to help you stay safe on Upwork. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi someone send me an email from upwork and gave me a link to a telegram the all I need is message that oeron for posible emolyment and then he assessed me and gave me work and then I have to finished that typing Job within 2 day and then they will pay me. Then after I finish my job I gave him my bank account details and this is their reply before I get the payment thwy sens me thia email: 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Justine,

Thank you for reaching out. Please note that communicating outside Upwork prior to a contract starting is against ToS. Please read the tips on how to avoid questionable jobs here. Also, you may send us a flag when you encounter any suspicious user activity.

~ AJ
Upwork

Me too. I apply on Upwork and thé person send me a message with telegram link. I do the job and when is time to pay,  he tell me that : 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

By signing this document, the customer agrees to the services and conditions described in this document.

I give him my accourt number, name and Phone number. I don't know what I can do?

7db66b84
Community Member

I am new to upwork. I have been offered for a project which requires me to pay a security fee of $100 first before getting hired. First thing that comes to my mind is that it is a scam. Luckily my instincts saved me from it.

scaaaarlet
Community Member

Every job on telegram is a scam believe me, i hot three offers  from telegram, played along the way and they were all scam EVEN THOUGH THEY USED A REAL COMPANY NAME

BE CAREFULL

Since communicating outside Upwork before an official contract is in place on Upwork is a violation of their Terms of Service, your are putting your account at risk of suspension.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members