🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I humble Request to Ipwork do a special favor...
Page options
836bd4f7
Community Member

I humble Request to Ipwork do a special favor for people with disabilities..

A few years ago I had an accident in which I fractured my leg which made it very difficult for me to walk. After learning enough good skills I wanted to sell it on upwrok but i don't have any job, I'm trying to find a job that works.

My Skills: 
Shopify designer

Amazon VA

Wordpress Developer

Do you are agree with me?

Thank you

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
celgins
Community Member

Ali,

Everything Jeanne said is spot-on. There are thousands of freelancers here with both physical and cognitive disabilities, but it would be too difficult for Upwork to assess and accommodate all of them.

Like a lot of businesses with websites, Upwork does try ensure its digital footprint provides access to persons with disabilities. You can read more about Upwork's Digital Accessibilty Statement.

Beyond that, as Jeanne said, Upwork does not have special programs for those with disabilities.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
williamtcooper
Community Member

Ali,

Congrats on upgrading your skills! Please use two Skills in the Title, modify the  Summary into four paragraphs, and use all 15 Skills.

Click this article for success TIPS:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Career-CloseUp-Top-1-Upwork-EXPERT-VETTED-Marketing-S...

I do not understand why you keep posting irrelevant answers when freelancers ask questions. Honestly, how do you think the material you referenced (another yeah, you can make lots o' money!) when the question has nothing to do with your link? How does this help the freelancers with his questions?

If memory serves me well, he once provided you with tips to improve your profile 😄

Jeanne,

Common Sense - let's think about it together.

If Upwork already has their disability procedures in place which are legal at both the federal and state levels, then the freelancer's next step is to adjust what they have control over. 

Read Clark's response unless you think he is wrong also?

the-right-writer
Community Member

Ali, there are many people who have disabilities that freelance here. Upwork does not have any special programs for people with disabilities. If you want the higher tier of clients to see you are a "disability owned business" there is a place for certifications at the bottom of your profile. You will see women owned, etc.

As far as what works for you, that is something only you can determine. Use the Academy links at the top to find additional information.

Should Upwork have a special program for people with disabilities? No. There are people with mild symptoms who identify as disabled, all the way to quadriplegics. There is no way to determine who "deserves" what.

Additionally, I don't think it is appropriate. I understand life can be extremely difficult with a disability, but I see no way to make life or business "fair."

You can ask in your local group if there are any suggestions, or check to see if there is a group for people with disabilities.

I would shorten your profile and add more to your portfolio. I like the way you use your skills to tell the client how you will complete the job - so don't change that. You have a good start.

Focus on jobs you know you can do well. Only boost if you know you are likely one of the top three best. Beware of scams, because no one will protect you from them.

celgins
Community Member

Ali,

Everything Jeanne said is spot-on. There are thousands of freelancers here with both physical and cognitive disabilities, but it would be too difficult for Upwork to assess and accommodate all of them.

Like a lot of businesses with websites, Upwork does try ensure its digital footprint provides access to persons with disabilities. You can read more about Upwork's Digital Accessibilty Statement.

Beyond that, as Jeanne said, Upwork does not have special programs for those with disabilities.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths